Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best of the Midnight Special on Youtube shows vintage keys

Rustar

Yesterday, I started receiving recommendations on Youtube for vids entitled "Best of the Midnight Special", which ran during the 70's, and was a live music show on network tv. It shows lots of groups live playing Rhodes, Minimoogs, and other gear. I was totally into music then, and love seeing these artists, and it's refreshing to see the music played live, as well as the musicianship they possessed.

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hah. I laugh at your puny Rhodes action!

[video:youtube]

I saw that tour summer 1976 RFK Stadium Washington DC. OK, maybe it was 1977, can't remember exactly. Gary Wright had the baddest Rhodes ever. Check it out at 01:23. Couldn't get the URL to copy at that point

:nopity:

Renaissance was on in 1977, and it was one of the few times you got to hear Annie Haslam's amazing 5 octave vocal range on TV. Unfortunately "Carpet of the Sun" doesn't really push it. Still, this is how a trained singer can use turns and ornaments to highlight her voice.

Ms. Carey could learn a thing or two on how to use an amazing voice, not the least of which is taste...

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

"Best of the Midnight Special on Youtube shows vintage keys"

But they weren't "vintage" then... :idk

Seriously, I used to love that show, although I preferred ABC's "In Concert" series and "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" because the bands typically got to do more than a song or two.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

I watched Genesis doing "Watcher of the Skies" on "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" back in the day. Saw Gabriel with his makeup/batwings, etc. and unfortunately I tuned them out for a couple years - thinking they were some theatrical group or something. Wasn't until I heard "Lamb Lies Down" (without video) that I realized their talent.

Same thing with Amy Winehouse - all I saw on the news until her death were pics and stories of her descent. I thought she was just another pop star gone down the tubes. That is until she died and I saw a long thread here about her. Finally listened to her two albums.

Both are now a couple of my favorite artists. Video images are powerful stuff - and deceieving at times!

PC3X, PC1se, NE2 61, DSI P08, ARP Odyssey MkII 2810, ARP Little Brother, Moog Slim Phatty, Doepfer Dark Energy, Arturia MiniBrute, Microkorg, Motion Sound KP200S,

Renaissance was on in 1977, and it was one of the few times you got to hear Annie Haslam's amazing 5 octave vocal range on TV.

One of my favorite bands back then. Lots of talent... I met the band during the "A Song for all Seasons" tour.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Renaissance was on in 1977, and it was one of the few times you got to hear Annie Haslam's amazing 5 octave vocal range on TV. Unfortunately "Carpet of the Sun" doesn't really push it. Still, this is how a trained singer can use turns and ornaments to highlight her voice.

Ms. Carey could learn a thing or two on how to use an amazing voice, not the least of which is taste...

..Joe

Wow, my roommate in college was into Renaissance. Haven't listened to them in years ....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Fire up the Way Back Machine, Mr Peabody, I want to go back! Just watched Gladys Knight sing "Midnight Train to Georgia" and got choked up.If someone knows of a performer who stacks up to her in talent and character, please tell me. I need to be reassured.

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

Yesterday, I started receiving recommendations on Youtube for vids entitled "Best of the Midnight Special", which ran during the 70's, and was a live music show on network tv. It shows lots of groups live playing Rhodes, Minimoogs, and other gear. I was totally into music then, and love seeing these artists, and it's refreshing to see the music played live, as well as the musicianship they possessed.

I have been watching this stuff on YOUTUBE for some time now. Lots to see. Check out Wild Cherry's "Play Some Funky Music'. I'll turn it off if it comes on the radio but man those guys could play.

:nopity:

Manfred Mann Earth Band, Heart, Marvin Gaye, etc.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvNPBnlifr0

Some really good stuff there, especially Dave Mason, Heart, Marvin, and a young foxy Bonnie Raitt. But as I was initially scanning through the video I almost had a violent bowel movement when, at ~50 minutes into it, Leo Sayer started squealing, prancing, and thrusting his tiny pelvis at me on my computer monitor.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Anyone think Thijs van Leer of Focus was the face model for the cover of the "Court of the Crimson King" album? Look when he's singing those high notes...

;D

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

This thread sure takes me back :laugh:

I even saw some old friends (when we were all younger :o )

I've mentioned here a time or two that I'm so old I actually played on Midnight Special back in the late 70s (77 or 78 I think), and since this thread is about vintage gear spotting, I dug out my old clav that I played on the show and snapped a couple. You can see where I slapped the backstage pass on it (though it's not easy to make it out anymore).

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2883/12208213066_0659194ae2_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7374/12207816343_a73fb9594a_o.jpg

Archived