Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cheap guitars.

p90jr

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice eye candy, Guitarzan. Maybe some of the more technical astute here can explain to me...IS there some advantage to having a pick-up "tilted"? Or is it just for looks?

Whitefang

It seems Leo Fender was the main purveyor of the tilted bridge pickup. My understanding is that it was a taste matter, where he felt the balance of bass to treble strings worked better. Maybe the bass strings were too thin with the pickup right next to the bridge. I know he experimented with a bunch of prototypes before the Tele was released, so it wasn't random.

Scott Fraser

Mosrite was another company that believed heavily in the tilted pickup, but they worked with the front neck position instead of the rear bridge that Fender was so fond of. Jimi just turned his Strat upside down and made it sound good anyway...

Not sure how much difference it makes but I would guess you could get more treble and less bass by tilting the rear bridge pickup...I think that was what Leo was going for? :idk

Take care, Larryz

Nice eye candy, Guitarzan. Maybe some of the more technical astute here can explain to me...IS there some advantage to having a pick-up "tilted"? Or is it just for looks?

Whitefang

It seems Leo Fender was the main purveyor of the tilted bridge pickup. My understanding is that it was a taste matter, where he felt the balance of bass to treble strings worked better. Maybe the bass strings were too thin with the pickup right next to the bridge. I know he experimented with a bunch of prototypes before the Tele was released, so it wasn't random.

Lap-steel and pedal-steel development and conventions also had a big influence there; remember that Leo Fender was already making and selling those, and amps. I believe that Leo was trying to get some of the tone, sustain, and presence of a pedal-steel on an electric "Spanish" guitar. The Broadcaster's/Telecaster's ferrous steel bridge-plate and angled pickup both worked well to that end.

He also took feedback and requests from musicians that tried out his prototypes and production models at gigs; being able to "cut" through the band AND the audience was highly desired, and there was virtually no such thing as a "PA", at least for guitarists and bassists.

If you reverse that angle, the treble-strings sound rounder and fatter, while the bass-strings sound crisper and twangier.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• 3 weeks later...
I decided that I couldn't really afford to upgrade all my bargain guitars, and get something better at the same time, and I have to thank Dannyalcatraz for that insight.

I finally went the opposite route. I started trading away the real cheap-o's, and got myself a used Godin Freeway SA and another Gibson SG Special. I hung on to the white Epi SG, as my beater guitar. I have fewer guitars, but better guitars, at this point.

I'm quoting this as a reminder to myself. I'm being SORELY tempted by some Godins & Fernandes guitars I found at ridiculous prices...all $500 or less.

Can I heed my own advice? Given what I know of these guitars, do they qualify as deals or red herrings?

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

The Godins I'm looking at are all used, normally priced $800+. There are 3 Velocities, which are HSS Superstrats discontinued in 2011. There is a HSH Freeway SA under $400.

The Fernandes are all used and in the $500-600 range, but on clearance by the maker. I own 2 Ravelles, one with the sustainer, one without. The Sustainer is a ridiculously cool toy. The infinite sustain and harmonics stuff is well suited to lead playing styles, especially if you're into ambient/stoner/drone type stuff, or you want to play with a bow-like style with no pick attack.

But I don't play any of that very well! LOL! Still, it's fun.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Archived