Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cheap guitars.

p90jr

Given a choice between a stripped-down one-pickup plank that says 'Gibson', and my Epi SG, I'll stick with the Epi, thanks.

I'll take this a bit further: given the sheer number of companies and luthiers making guitars these days- I have an ever-growing list of a few hundred bookmarked on my iPad- odds are good that someone out there is making something better for less than the names we all know. All it takes is the time to look and the willingness to try out something on the road less traveled. And I'm willing.

Which is why, if you look at my collection and my G.A.S. list, the closest thing you'd see to a big name are Godin and G&L. I have 4 LPclones, none of which is a Gibson or Epiphone; my Stratclone was made by Fret-King; my Teleclones will both come from one man operations in the northeast; the doublecut hollowbody in my sights is a Reverend; US Masters Hornet will be who sells me my first SG; if/when I get around to having a V, Reverend and DBZ lead the pack of candidates.

Because what matters to me is the quality and feel. I'm concerned about the tones I can get, not the name, not the resale value.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now, is that an "Epi"? or an "Epiphone"?

I used to call Epiphones "Epi" for short until some years back I saw a cheapie in Service Merchandise( remember THEM?) that said "Epi" on the headstock. Actually nowhere NEAR the quality of even the CHEAPEST Epiphone.

Whitefang

Yes Fang, Epi is just short for Epiphone - I never knew someone out there was making an actual "Epi" - interesting.

I did not mention the tone that this baby has. Unplugged, this thing just sings! Very interesting voicing that morphs as it rings out. Plugged in, it has wonderful, full tone and sustain. And the reason I was even looking at SGs was for a lighter weight humbucker guitar - this one weighs in at 6.3 lbs.

After 3 weeks I still get a little excited when I pick it up to play.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

My only problem with the SG (Cheap or otherwise) is the weight factor. It seems like the body is light and the neck takes a dive on me. I guess you get accustomed to it or adjust the strap somehow. They are wonderful sounding and easy to play but I have to sit down to be comfortable holding one. I like the Epi 335's and that would be my choice if I was looking for a cheaper guitar. You have to go with what feels right within your budget whether it's a VW or a Vette...
Take care, Larryz

I guess it would be like calling a Squire a Strat...I'm thinking of Epi being short for Epiphone, but as Fang pointed out and Danny A's post confirms, there really is an "Epi" when we're talking about CHEAP with a capital E...
Take care, Larryz

My only problem with the SG (Cheap or otherwise) is the weight factor. It seems like the body is light and the neck takes a dive on me. I guess you get accustomed to it or adjust the strap somehow. They are wonderful sounding and easy to play but I have to sit down to be comfortable holding one. I like the Epi 335's and that would be my choice if I was looking for a cheaper guitar. You have to go with what feels right within your budget whether it's a VW or a Vette...

On my Gibson SG's, I swap out the stock bridge & tailpiece for a Schaller roller bridge & a Schaller fine-tuning tailpiece. They're 'drop-in' parts for my U.S.-made guitars, and they add weight and mass to the body, to help balance the neck-heavy design. Check out the pic of the Bond guitar, in the Weird Guitar . . . thread, those are Schaller parts, although it's the standard t/p, not the fine-tuning t/p.

FWIW, I never considered my Epi DOT a 'cheap' guitar, because in terms of sound and build quality, there was nothing cheap about it - it was just $1000-1200 less than any 335 I saw at the time.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

FWIW Winston I said "cheaper" not "cheap". I agree with you, the Epi Dot is a great bargain even though it in no way compares or will be confused with the Gibson 335 as far as purchase price and resale price goes. As far as sound and build quality, they are a bargain (at least they have been for quite a few years). I think the counter weight concept on the SG is also a good idea...
Take care, Larryz

FWIW Winston I said "cheaper" not "cheap".

Quite right, forgive my mistake.

I have seen guys with old-school sinkers tied to the bottom strap pegs of their SG's for counter-weights, although that was years ago. It looked awkward at best, slightly obscene, at worst.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

No worries Winston, I just didn't want you to think I was calling your guitar cheap that's all...LOL!

Hey, it just dawned on me that my Taylor T5 has two strap pegs neither one of which is mounted in the center. I always just used the bottom one and forgot the top one was even there! So, I just pulled it out of the case and threw on a strap and guess what? With the strap on the bottom one the neck sits level straight out. With the strap on the top one the neck rises up with a raised neck more like you would hold a classical guitar. So, If I had my brothers' SG (which is very very nice) I could probably easily solve the neck dive problem...I'm going to give him a call! Thanks for letting me know it wasn't just my imagination... :idea:

Take care, Larryz

I like inexpensive guitars, not cheap guitars. :)

+1. I think you can get excellent playability, tone and aesthetics for $750-1000. It may not be pro quality, but pretty close.

I paid $272 for my Ibanez RG 321 and I like it more than any guitar that I ever owned for tone, & playability (after I filed the frets and re-soldered the tone capacitor back onto the tone pot) After 3 or 4 years of heavy use I had to replace the volume pot.

I have owned 3 Les Paul Customs, a Firebird, several Stratocasters, a Telecaster, several SG's, and a Gibson ES 345, and many varied other axes over the years, none of them stack up to the RG321 for the widely varied tones, playability and the 23rd and 24th fret, and access to the high frets and accessibility to the tone and volume controls on the guitar.

personally i don't think you are missing anything but bling or bragging rights once you exceed that price point. if you have tone , playability and aesthetics what more is there?

tone and playability are number one.

i cannot say i have ever picked any guitar off a rack and thought the fretwork and setup was perfect, even a 2000 dollar Gibson disappoints me there.

most guitars are factory made by regular people.

pro quality IMHO would be a hand built guitar.

I think you can get excellent playability, tone and aesthetics for $750-1000. It may not be pro quality, but pretty close.

What qualities do you find lacking in a good, well made $1000 guitar other than bling and/or a famous name?

Hey Duff,

Actually, I don't really find anything lacking. Both my Ibanez AF125 hollow body ($1000 incl. case) and my Epiphone Sheraton ($700 incl. case) are really beautiful guitars with wonderful playability and superb tone. Although I have owned three "high end" acoustics in my many years of playing (Martin D-18, Martin D-28 and a Gibson Hummingbird), I have not owned a top-shelf electric. The closest I've come is the Carvin SH-550 that I bought for $1800. It is worthy of note that I sold the Carvin, replaced it with the Ibanez AF125 and held on to the Epi Sheraton. As I stated in my earlier post, I do believe that you can achieve excellent performance for $750-1000.

If you play cool, you are cool.

personally i don't think you are missing anything but bling or bragging rights once you exceed that price point. if you have tone , playability and aesthetics what more is there?

tone and playability are number one.

i cannot say i have ever picked any guitar off a rack and thought the fretwork and setup was perfect, even a 2000 dollar Gibson disappoints me there.

most guitars are factory made by regular people.

pro quality IMHO would be a hand built guitar.

Hey Guitarzan,

+1. Agreed.

I was thinking about your comment regarding a "hand built" instrument. Carvin states that the machine that carves their bodies is accurate to +/-.002 inches. I don't know if there is a human hand that can carve wood to that close a tolerance. I doubt that Michaelangelo (sp?) could carve something that close to spec and I think he was pretty good.

One related comment, I would put my Epi Sheraton up against a 335 any time and although it might not win, it would put in a great performance.

This may open up a sub-thread. What do you gents think about hand carved vs. machine carved guitars?

If you play cool, you are cool.

I agree with the precision of modern machine carving. and we all know there is plenty of hand work involved even in factories. you can't totally remove human involvement.

When i talk of hand built i am referring to a guitar made solely by one person or a small team like an MJ MMirage or one of Jol Danzig's creations.

Humans have the eyes and capability to make decisions based on experience and skill.

I think a quality guitar needs both.

I agree. However, much can be said for the advantage of some automation. In terms of time and precision. I doubt that even the most dedicated "hand build" luthier cuts solid guitar bodies out of a block of wood with a coping saw.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

yes, not cheap but considering some prices of standard factory built gems they can be cheaper due to the lack of overhead.

as i previously mentioned MJ guitars ...

here is some eye candy. behold the prices. not crazy expensive considering the way they are built.

EYE CANDY

+1 they definitely compare price and quality wise to the off the rack $1,500 to $3,000 factory builds, but most kids can't afford much over $500 bucks these days...MJ has a very nice looking eye candy inventory!
Take care, Larryz

for killer affordable yet solid as a rock you have guitars like these..

awesome deal

i grabbed one a few months ago and it has great pickups and the trem actually handles simple tricks while staying in tune. no kidding. i grabbed a tone zone for the bridge but the factory pickups are good. very nice neck and fretwork.

it may sport a foto flame top but it looks good. very light, to save people the trouble i will tell you it is made of Jabon wood and quite resonant.

Nice eye candy, Guitarzan. Maybe some of the more technical astute here can explain to me...IS there some advantage to having a pick-up "tilted"? Or is it just for looks?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived