Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help talk me thru my G.A.S.!!!

EscapeRocks

How is the Motif XF6 live? I had an MOX8 that I gigged with for a couple year. I learned how to navigate it even with just the small led screen.

I have the opportunity to pick up an XF6 at a great deal.

I would love to hear opinions on using this board for gigging (I know weight, etc..).

Thanks!

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, i think perhaps I am blinded by GAS :)

The Motif sounds and sampling are two big reasons of going back.

I could save a bunch of $$$ and get a new MOXF6. But what fun is it to think that way? LOL

(offshoot from dream rig. I want to gig with my Steinway, a Motif XF, and a chopped B3 ;) )

David

Isn't this like walking into a bar and asking "help talk me out of drinking"? Bringing this question to us must mean you really want to and most of us will say "go for it brother". ~BOB
I'm practicing so that people can maybe go "wow" at an imaginary gig I'll never play. -Nadroj

The bigger screen does make a difference. One big example is that either board lets you use Song mode to create sets of 16 sounds that you can switch between at the touch of a button, with patch remain (i.e. one sound doesn't have to cut off when you switch to the next). On the XF, the screen can show you the names of the sounds assigned to the 16 buttons, which is a nice live benefit compared to the MOX which doesn't have that capability.

Another big live benefit is having an assignable out, so you can do things like send LH bass out its own separate output (to a bass amp or a separate channel of a mixer) or do the same with organ patches (i.e. to a Vent).

Also for live performance, you have the expressive benefits of aftertouch, an extra foot controller, and a ribbon.

The faders also come in handy for fast and easy balance of different sounds, or in some cases, some semblance of organ drawbar functionality.

Compared to the MOX, there are also benefits like the ability to load in custom samples, have effects on 8 parts instead of 3, and 8 zone MIDI controller functionality.

The downside is, as you mentioned, obviously the weight, and also although I did not have the opportunity to use them right next to each other, I definitely had the impression that the XF felt a bit more sluggish in some operations, changing modes, etc. Maybe it's the overhead of having to do all the screen redraws, or maybe it has a slower processor...?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

David, do you regret choosing the Krome over the MOXF now? I'd probably just go for the cheaper model if it's really the soundset you're missing. On the other hand, the 61-key version XF isn't all that heavy... Oops, sorry - must not feed the GAS!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Thank you for that detailed reply, Scott.

Aidan,

David, do you regret choosing the Krome over the MOXF now? I'd probably just go for the cheaper model if it's really the soundset you're missing. On the other hand, the 61-key version XF isn't all that heavy... Oops, sorry - must not feed the GAS!

I do not regret the Krome at all. I love it! I just miss the Yamaha sounds as well. I want both ;)

Maybe a Motif rack since I already use a rack on stage and I have the space?

Ugghhh..... too many choices, not enough $$$$$ I want 1 of each thing out there so I can pick and choose each gig, like I pick my clothes each day LOL!!

David

I hear you, David. I love my Kurz 361 but there are many of the Motif sounds I would like back in my armoury as well, hence (partly at least) my interest in the MOXF8!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Interesting, i'm in the process of moving from my xf6 (used with a cp33 to control it from a weighted board) to a moxf8. I like that I now have the option of bringing just one 88 board (a couple of my gigs don't require two) and its still lighter than the xf!!

The only thing I really miss is the additional outs, as it would be nice to run the organ sounds out, and use a vent/burn. After working with it, I'm getting used to the screen size, but the bigger screen really helps in voice editing, so I've just been using the computer editor.

Well, I had my donuts and still had GAS...so:

I'm back in Motif land again. Just ordered my MOXF6.

It's a good thing I still have all my Melas MOX libraries and all my sounds ;) It will make programming a lot easier. I know I will need to make some adjustments but it's all good.

Yes, I'm keeping the Krome.

David

I tried going cold turkey. Even went to hannonmethodone ;)

Got the shakes real bad, man, ya know what I'm sayin'

Seriously I was about to pull the trigger on the MOXF when my gear pusher emailed me with the Motif deal.....

David

Oh man. Looks like your mind was already made up. If you DO change your mind, you can ship the XF over my way and I'll send you my XS. Totally even exchange right?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Archived