Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The most overplayed songs in the Classic Rock Catalog

picker

Good point. I was thinking of how many great Kinks and Who songs there are, I don't know if they went to #1, but I think they are very well known, not just "Lola" and "Baba O'Reilly"

We played "Come Dancing" and "My Generation".

Oh, and "All Day and All of the Night", which I'd say is overplayed, but we originally added it due to a fill-in guitarist. It's one of those songs that's so widely played/known that it was easy to add. And that's what we wanted, "easy".

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good point. I was thinking of how many great Kinks and Who songs there are, I don't know if they went to #1, but I think they are very well known, not just "Lola" and "Baba O'Reilly"

We played "Come Dancing" and "My Generation".

Oh, and "All Day and All of the Night", which I'd say is overplayed, but we originally added it due to a fill-in guitarist. It's one of those songs that's so widely played/known that it was easy to add. And that's what we wanted, "easy".

We just started playing Lola. One band member really didn't want to do it but went along. It got really good response.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Solely from my experience and failing memory, the Kinks are underrepresented by most cover bands.

I think Badfinger's "No Matter What" would go over well, along with "Crimson and Clover", and "Who Do You Love".

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I'm surprised that more cover bands don't play this song [video:youtube]

My favorite Fleetwood Mac song is " "Bare Trees" which I have never heard a cover band perform.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

I'm surprised that more cover bands don't play this song

I was just literally thinking of doing that song a couple weeks ago. Thing is, we're changing our format to a decade per set (60s, 70s, 80s....with wardrobe, video, props) and have way more than enough 70s and are currently expanding our 60s and 80s list. But I think that would be a good one.

I also think for pop/danciness, Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I don't play rock standards, I play disco and soul standards. I certainly could live without playing Boogie Oogie Oogie.

I gotta ask... how often do you get called to play "Mighty Real" on the disco gigs?

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I'm pretty tired of playing Boogie Oogie Oogie, We Are Family, and Billie Jean. However, the band sounds really good playing those songs and the audiences like them.

One of our singers like to sing Journey songs and I really don't like those songs.

However, the songs all have chords, they have basslines, they never did anything bad to me.

I don't hate songs, I hate people. :mad:

I can relate to this except for the Journey part. Now, my band covers Play that funky music and I'm pretty tired of it - but they do segue to a portion of We've got the funk by Parliament in the middle. Also Brick House goes into either Skin tight or Fire (or both, wherever the BL feels like taking it) for a bit before coming back.

And then there is Mustang Sally.

Sigh.

But the dance floor fills because the singer(s) is(are) just SO VERY soulful and entertaining. Definitely crowd pleasers. I've come to realize that its not about me a long time ago.

I listen to Soultown on XM, and it has exposed me to a lot of great lesser known songs and artists, as well as the hits. It's really exposed me to a lot of great bass playing and rhythm sections.

I love a lot of classic rock, but I'd prefer to be in an R%B band because generally there is a lot more going on in the arrangement for both the bass player and everyone else, yet it's all about the groove. A lot of rock is about volume and often the bass is all about eighth notes on the root, or follow the guitar.

Then again, I'm much better at eighth notes on the root at this point.

We try to strike a balance, and I'm sure we irritate musicians by playing some of the most-often-played. People like them, and many listed above are Good Songs. That's why they are overplayed.

We do Brown Sugar and Dead Flowers. We do Allman's Southbound. We have done Bowie's Heroes and Lets Dance. Van Morrison Wild Night, Domino, Into The Mystic and And It Stoned Me. For almost 20 years we've been doing Black Magic Woman and Oye Como Va. I think our mix is pretty good.

My acoustic duo is probably better at this. We do Come See About Me, Five O'clock World, Glad All Over, and (yep) Jumpin Jack Flash.

The repetition factor is part of life. I believe it's up to the musician to face this and find musical outlets so the repetition can be handled.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived