Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm on a mission: for everyone to hear Vulfpeck.

scottasin

They're the one band I've ever discovered that I've felt the need to tell everyone I can about. Less than 4,000 likes on Facebook, somehow. In a sense, they're jazz funk, but not in any way I've heard before. Lots of keyboards, occasional vocals horns or guitars, funky funky bass, and rock solid drums. According to their hilariously simple website (http://vulfpeck.com), they're studio musicians from 'Vulf Records', who I'd never heard of before. I believe some of the members are originally from Michigan.

They don't tour and play live rarely. Most of their studio tracks also have a video of the live studio session on youtube, which is a neat idea. They've released 3 albums in 3 years, each one less than a half hour long, which usually ends up with me listening to their entire discography in a sitting.

One little gimmick they have that I just love is on each of their albums there's a song titled It Gets Funkier (I, II and III respectively). They're structurally pretty much the same, but each one is played stylistically very differently, and each one is pretty awesome. Anyways, take a listen, spread the word, these guys groove.

[video:youtube]

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great stuff, and a favourite of mine and several friends. I've played Beastly, Cars Too, It Gets Funkier I & II, and maybe a couple others!

Although, to be honest, it got a little old to me at one point. Maybe it's the guys I play with, I think they were overplaying it. Too many licks, not enough groove.

Keep the groove!

Archived