Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Robin Thicke and Chicago

Craig MacDonald

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chicago was my favorite band in my teens. I lost interest very soon after Terry Kath was gone with the release of "Hot Streets".

I welcomed the opportunity to see Chicago on the Grammys though it wasn't a great pairing. EWF with Robin Thicke would have been the better choice. Though I haven't heard him in a few years, I'll guess Phillip Bailey could nail the falsetto on "Blurred Lines".

My initial thought was that happened because someone wanted to "liven up" Thicke doing Blurred Lines. Nothing against Chicago, but do they have anything going on that would otherwise put them on a show like this? I don't know of anything. So, this was good for them. I bet sales of their stuff is up today because of it, and I think Blurred Lines sounded better with the horns.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

...., as I listen to the clip again, the Chicago guys do have a bit of that "lounge singer" style.. ...

Didn't that start around their 4th album?

I have to post this every so often when Chicago comes up in the context of their current (ahem) sedateness, just to prove to the youngsters why they mattered.

[video:youtube]

Moe

---

I have to post this every so often when Chicago comes up in the context of their current (ahem) sedateness, just to prove to the youngsters why they mattered.

Nice. :thu:

Thanks, Moe!

I was a HUGE fan of Chicago.

Growing up... For me jazz + rock = what mattered most...

after girls, of course. :love:

(Priorities... I had 'em.) :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Those songs have melodies, ya know? Robin Thicke's melismatic variations were not an improvement.

Post of the week. :thu:

Agreed. Chicago's songs and unique sound were and still are CLASSIC. Robin Thicke was not a good match for Chicago. I realize that Terry Kath is gone and Peter Cetera moved on years ago, but trying to change a great sound and a great band decades after the fact is like trying to re-paint the Mono Lisa. Yuck. :sick:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Yes, love Chicago too, their 70's output with Terry Kath is pretty uniformly stellar imo, and after the misstep of the unlistenable "Hot Streets," a lot of their 80's albums still had some very entertaining high-quality stuff too, when Peter Cetera was still with them, thru XVI I think.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

To respectfully offer a counter-opinion....

I thought that this was the most hip thing Chicago has done in 75 years. :P Thicke sounded great whilst exuding substantial rock power and stage presence - things the old fellas seemed to be lacking a bit. Thicke also managed to remove from my mind the image of Wonder Bread dipped in milk that Chicago often evokes for me.

On a more serious note, it looked like all of them were having a blast on stage and it seemed to me that Thicke was showing the band the respect they rightly deserve. And I was impressed by Chicago's playing and singing.

I'm with you on this one Dave , I thought Robin Thicke did a great job , along with the rest.

There seems to be a small but very black under currant against R.T.

I enjoyed most all of the show , it was fab.

Brett

Sorry, I am not changing my opinion. That was more like American Idol on Chicago night. Thicke added nothing but his current popularity. Maybe if he toned it down about 5 notches and tried to integrate into the song instead of this "come on people" stepping on the song and over singing at every opportunity, he might have a future beyond the 2 years I see for him now. As for lounge music, This is mood music , sorry if it bores you. Maybe NIN is more your speed.

FunMachine.

Yahoo Canada had a review of the various performances from a Best/Worst standpoint and guess where the RT/Chicago performance landed..

WORST: A medley of Chicago's hits, as performed by the band and Robin Thicke, which led not-at-all-seamlessly into Thicke's "Blurred Lines." Random on both sides, and it led to a widespread Twitter fear that the easy-listening vets were either going to twerk or be twerked upon.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

I'm not the most diehard metallica fan but that thing was an abomination. The piano was out of time with the band. Hetfields voice was weak, hammets lead guitar was weak. The whole point of metallica is their solid timing and heavy sound. This was the opposite of that. Good for you for trying to expand but yikes.

FunMachine.

I'm not the most diehard metallica fan but that thing was an abomination. The piano was out of time with the band. Hetfields voice was weak, hammets lead guitar was weak. The whole point of metallica is their solid timing and heavy sound. This was the opposite of that. Good for you for trying to expand but yikes.

It was such a dogs dinner , I found it hilarious and entertaining :) , and knew there was hope for us all! :).

Brett

Um, yeah. :snax:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yahoo Canada had a review of the various performances from a Best/Worst standpoint and guess where the RT/Chicago performance landed..

WORST: A medley of Chicago's hits, as performed by the band and Robin Thicke, which led not-at-all-seamlessly into Thicke's "Blurred Lines." Random on both sides, and it led to a widespread Twitter fear that the easy-listening vets were either going to twerk or be twerked upon.

It was what it was. Mixing it up and having fun. Really, listening to Ringo singing "Photograph" for the 1000 X pretty much set the bar for the low level of performance on this show. RT and the cats from Chicago were all smiling and having a good time. Musical excellence be damned!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I'm not the most diehard metallica fan but that thing was an abomination...

My theory, as with a number of other acts, was that the mixing and/or monitors were off. Even my wife said a number of times through the night "That sounds odd...".

You've got to hand it to the sound guys. There's an enormous number of setups to cover the entire evening. The feed for TV is potentially different from house, backstage crew is frantically trying to tear one setup down while getting the next one up and going. I'd certainly expect a few gaffs here and there.

I saw somebody (forget who) yank their ear monitor out half way through a number - sure sign of something bonkers with their monitors...

Some folks, who are usually spot on live were having pitch problems. Those that suck live normally still sucked ...

Pink may or may not have lip-synced during her aerial portion, but she freaking nailed every note during the part with Fun. Nate Ruess, not so much. Same thing with the Carole King- Sara Bareilles duet. Sara was spot on, Carole, sadly not so much.

Metallica - wife looks up from her laptop for a second and says "What the hell is this"? Yup, train-wreck.

Les Mizzell

----------------------------------------------

Same here lol, as a Beatles fanatic I'm always interested in seeing those two perform (even if it's old hat stuff like Ringo doing yet another sleepy rendition of "Photograph," doesn't bother me!), but last night I was again too busy working on songs and setups for some of my upcoming rehearsals and gigs to get to it, only took enough of a tv break to watch Girls. Since I got my new MOXF8 (and have been working hard on hooking up some new projects and gigs for the new year) my TV-watching time availability has really suffered!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Robin Thicke wasn't the right voice/style for Chicago. He could easily be a Las Vegas singer soon. Such a blah pop drone.

For me the show was disappointing in general. The older classic artists are being showcased as they are trying to hold onto what they once had. The new talent is well... I think there is a lot of great new stuff out there that doesn't get a chance.

And then there is Beyonce and Pink. All about performance. One using the caberet stripper routine and the other using acrobatics. I rather see a beautiful soulful female vocalist, than one of these pop stars using sensational tactics to arouse more than the music does.

Yeah it is a very negative posting, but that's the way I see it.

Nord electro 3 73, Casio Px-5s, Yamaha SY-85, A&H ZED FX mixer, 2 QSC K8.2s

Archived