Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tonight on the Grammys- Metallica with Pianist, Lang Lang

BiC

Metallica will be playing "One" with classical pianist, Lang Lang. Should be a great performance! :thu:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Metallica will be playing "One" with classical pianist, Yang Yang. Should be a great performance! :thu:

Or a trainwreck. The urge to splice incompatible stuff together is one of the hallmarks of the Grammy experience. The year I attended (2006) they put Herbie Hancock together with Kelly Clarkson. That was just plain stupid.

Scott Fraser

I never watch the Grammys and/or other award shows as they drive me nuts! Especially when they start playing the times-up music. However, in fairness the wife always has them on the tube in the other room and from time to time something catches my ear and draws me near...I'll keep an ear out for Lang Lang Yang Yang this evening...
Take care, Larryz

Kraftwerk received their Lifetime Achievement Grammy last night, so now I have almost zero incentive to watch.

That Stevie Wonder/Daft Punk pairing sounds interesting, as does Trent Reznor and Dave Grohl's show-closing performance, but I should be able to see those on YouTube at some point.

HA HA! :laugh:

I noticed I mispronounced/misspelled the pianist's name. It's "Lang Lang." :thu:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

I'm unashamedly (No Remorse, no regrets ;) ) a huge Metallica fan... have been since the late 80's. So, I'm looking forward to seeing the arrangement they come up with. Sure, I could catch it on YT (or Metallica's website) tomorrow, but it won't have that same vibe as catching it live... even if there is a slight time-delay. I'll just keep the TV running in the background and find something to keep me busy until Metallica and Lang Lang take the stage (or something else grabs my ear). :snax:

Okay, that wasn't as bad a wreck as it could have been. Other than Lang Lang disappearing in a number of spots (every chorus, for example), he fit himself into the song rather nicely. His aping Hammett on the big speed solo was definitely a nice touch.

I'm curious of what the KC guys thought of his performance - I'm not quite as discerning an ear as there are over there.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c58EfMhd2YE

Hammett could have tuned his guitar, or played something less lamely limping along there in the beginning, when he was noodling over the piano... Gad, that SUCKED. There are people playing in bars and parks and streets, that you'll never hear of, that are far more talented than any of the members of Metallica. They should have simply had Lang Lang play "One"- SOLO.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'm a classical music fan, but I've never been able to handle Lang Lang. Talented technically but so mawkishly over the top with his theatrics. Ugh. But last night he managed not to embarrass himself too much, he fit in with the band pretty well, & the arrangement made the mixing of disparate elements work fairly smoothly. Too bad they chose such an uninteresting tune to collaborate on. In an evening of so much dramatically lame music, however, "One" ended up looking comparatively not nearly as bad as it would have in a different context.
Scott Fraser

I have to go along with Caevan. Maybe if they had the lights up so Hammett could see what he was doing, and if the vocalist could have settled on a key, it might have been a bit better. At least within the limits of a not so good song.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I thought Lang Lang did a fine job of fitting in and I would consider him a piano master. I didn't care for the vocal and couldn't really understand the lyrics. I thought the overall performance was pretty good considering I'm not really into the genre...I was hoping they had a few fire extinguishers on hand for the intro.
Take care, Larryz

didn't watch last night,changed the channel.. too much stupid stuff leading up to the actual show. i almost fell off the couch when they did the 360 dress thing. FFS i thought i was choosing a player in fighting game.

Haahhaahh! :D

Hammett could have tuned his guitar, or played something less lamely limping along there in the beginning, when he was noodling over the piano... Gad, that SUCKED. There are people playing in bars and parks and streets, that you'll never hear of, that are far more talented than any of the members of Metallica. They should have simply had Lang Lang play "One"- SOLO.

Probably not better than Rob Trujillo. The guy's one of the best bass players there is. His skills are almost completely wasted in Metallica.

Loud rock never sounds right in those huge theaters/sets... especially when it was probably low stage volume... that high hat, ugh...

As long as they feel the need to represent every segment in the potential audience, just let the metal band play by themselves instead of a forced collaboration. As a kid I never understood why the hard rock and metal bands would want to play on the Grammy's. They're anti-estalishment by nature, and that's as establishment as it gets.

Didn't watch it live, but this clip of Daft Punk+Chic+Stevie Wonder+Pharell is pretty irresistible to me.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o00pgGRvXnU

and these two pretty much rocked, both dudes with some soul, though that song is a bit... well, I'm sure it's a huge hit.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG1RJOPY8Y8

I thought the piano/arrangment sounded jumbled and lost in areas, perhaps causing Metallica to lose focus. It would have been a much better performance without Lang Lang. "One" is timeless, and stands on its own. No need for reinvention.

Furthermore, "One" would have never been my first choice because they already played that at the 1989 Grammys. They should have played newer material such as "All Nightmare Long." (My "Operation Iraqi Freedom" KILL tune while deployed in The Sandbox :D ).

'Cause we hunt you down without mercy

Hunt you down all nightmare long

Feel us breathe upon your face

Feel us shift, every move we trace

Killer riffing and solos in that song:

I thought the piano/arrangment sounded jumbled and lost in areas, perhaps causing Metallica to lose focus. It would have been a much better performance without Lang Lang. "One" is timeless, and stands on its own. No need for reinvention.

Well, for what it's worth, the same thing happened with "One" when they did the S&M concert - the orchestra fell into chaos during the heavier parts, as though they had no idea what they should play during those spots.

As to the opening, I'd say that was more Kirk Hammett's inability to keep his own time during Yang Yang's improv. He was playing the right passages at the wrong times, apparently unable to hear Het's guitar over the piano. Once Lars finally gave him a beat, he fell right into time with the original arrangement.

Of course, expecting Hammett to adjust in response to other musicians being involved in a performance is like expecting Lars to use double-kick in an appropriate and tasteful manner... :D

Well, for what it's worth, the same thing happened with "One" when they did the S&M concert - the orchestra fell into chaos during the heavier parts, as though they had no idea what they should play during those spots.

As to the opening, I'd say that was more Kirk Hammett's inability to keep his own time during Yang Yang's improv. He was playing the right passages at the wrong times, apparently unable to hear Het's guitar over the piano. Once Lars finally gave him a beat, he fell right into time with the original arrangement.

Of course, expecting Hammett to adjust in response to other musicians being involved in a performance is like expecting Lars to use double-kick in an appropriate and tasteful manner... :D

You may be right...

i am a Megadeth fan anyway so this is kind of amusing to me anyway.

:D

I thought of that, and thought of you, 'Zan, as I read this thread and listened to that performance... :thu:

i am a Megadeth fan anyway so this is kind of amusing to me anyway.

I'm a huge fan of both Megadeth & Metallica. I've never pitted them against each other because they both have contributed greatly to metal. Any 1980's metalhead (such as myself) who denies this is simply being dishonest with themself because of their band loyalty to one or the other. Both bands have my respect.

I've never pitted them against each other because...

...they already did so, 30 years ago? :D

(ducking and running)

LOL :D

Fair enough. :thu:

Speaking of... this kinda ticked me off...

Asked when METALLICA fans in the United States can expect to see the band on the road here again, Hetfield said: "You know what? We keep going back to Europe for summer festivals. People keep offering us headline spots over there. [We're going to] South America this year."

He continued: "I don't know what's happening the States.

"The States has gotta step up and want their music.

"I'm not sure what's going on in the States as far as rock and metal goes and concert-wise, but there's not really any willingness to get a big show out there and make it worthwhile to actually get out there and play. You see other bands gathering up six different bands just to go out and play.

"It's pretty tough in North America."

He added: "Right now, it seems like metal is struggling a little bit in the States. Obviously, the Orion [Music + More] festival that we had tried to do the last couple of years has really not been Gosh, it's been a disaster financially, and it's not able to happen again because of that. So it's a bummer. So, you know, we're doing what we can to keep being alive here. And I hope to get out and play in the States. It seems like forever since we've been out and about. You know, we've hit the coasts and we've done TV stuff and things like that. But it will happen again. So hopefully, to get your fix, you're able to get the ['Metallica Through The Never'] DVD and sit there and headbang with your friends."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallicas-james-hetfield-says-orion-music-more-festival-has-been-a-financial-disaster/#SzBQx2clpDZSLj6s.99

So hopefully, to get your fix, you're able to get the ['Metallica Through The Never'] DVD and sit there and headbang with your friends."

Ohhhh Yeahhhh... it'll be just like a real, live concert!

:facepalm:

I guess I'll just have to catch Megadeth on tour 3x, with their next 3 albums before I catch Metallica next around... :P

Lookie there... I just pitted them against each other... :rimshot:

Looks like the planets are aligning... both M&M should come out with new albums in 2015. :snax:

Archived