Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music and the Original Macintosh

IndySteve

This week is the 30th anniversary of the original 128k Macintosh computer. I was reading an article that said the primary use of the original 128kb Mac was making music. (http://venturebeat.com/2014/01/24/apple-30-years-of-mac/) So here's my question: Did you have an original 128k or 512k "fat mac"? If so, did you use it for music creation and how? (In 1987, I got a second-hand 512Ke (half a mac-plus), but I didn't use it for music. My midi keyboard was in the bedroom and my computer was on the kitchen table. I don't think there was even a midi interface for the Mac until 1985, so I'm not sure what they would have done with it in 1984.

Come out with your hands up! I have a synthesizer, and I'm not afraid to use it.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used my Mac Color Classic up to 2004 for sequencing and running sequences on stage using Mastertracks. Thats when the screen and floppy drive finally went on it. I still have it but it's gutted now. I stupidly didn't back up the sequences and they are still trapped on the hard drive. I haven't found anyone with an adaptor that fits the pin configuration.

Anyhow.. Yes used one of the early Macs only for music and it was a workhorse.

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

As I understand this article, they were referring to the 1984 Macs. There was a huge difference in usefulness between the original Mac and the Mac Plus that came out in 1986. The 128k ram in the original Mac was very limiting. The only connector was a new connection type serial port which was just fast enough to run a 9 pin dot matrix printer. The Mac Plus in January 2006 had the same processor speed and screen, but had 1 megabyte of ram and an SCSI port for a hard drive. The Mac Plus was a very useful computer. The 1 megabyte of memory was a lot in those days when MS-DOS topped out at 640k directly-accessible memory. The Mac Plus could take up to 4 MB ram. The Mac-Plus was the machine that really launched desktop publishing and was the cornerstone of many Midi rigs. It remained in production at through 1990, at which time it was replaced by the fundamentally similar Mac Classic which lasted another two years.

Side note: In between the 128k mac was a 512k "fat mac" using the original roms and a 512KE mac which used the roms of the Mac Plus but had half the ram.

Come out with your hands up! I have a synthesizer, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Our tenor sax layer in the 80s used his Mac to do commission project to create arrangements of current pop songs for drum corps. He had a nice business as an arranger.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The only Mac I have ever owned was when I had mt Emulator II+, and its sole purpose was for the graphic editing interface.

It went with the keyboard when I got the EIII.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Archived