Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keep Fantom G or get FA-06

Jasonbass32

I was able to repair my fantom x6 (changed out panel board a). It's now working perfectly fine as far as I can tell. When it was not working I purchased a new in the box fantom g for $1800 sort of as insurance in case the x could not be fixed. During the middle of all this, roland releases the FA series and I am very interested in the FA06. The place I bought the G from will allow me to return for store credit only. No problem there are other things I need. I like some things about the G better than the X (the Keybed is fantastic) but other things I prefer on the X (especially the sequencer). I am concerned that the FA Keybed will be not up to par. I could probably sell a lightly used FA for a small loss on ebay if I don't like it. What would you guys do.? I'm having a hard time deciding.

Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of the keybed, have you played a VR-09 or any of the newer "Juno" models? I believe the FA-06 has the same keybed as those, though I may be wrong.

I've no experience with any of the Fantom models you described, but I'm used to what I think the FA-06's keybed will be, and I will probably pick one up when it's released. Have you had a look at the FA-06's specs? What is/isn't on it that you need/can't afford not to have?

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I think this was my feeling when hearing about the FA series last week. While they are priced in the mid range they effectively are the superior models in terms of features just a pity about those terrible keybeds

maybe the FA08 has an acceptable keyed because I know most of these mid range non weighted boards from Yamaha, Roland and Korg just feel terrible to me...

Exactly. I really think the FA will sound better than the Fantom X. But those spongy key beds are not for me. I am a bass play who does some keys so the better Keybed action helps me out a lot. For example, the action on the Moxf is about as low as I want to go. The korg krome, to me, was unacceptable. I guess I could play the FA using the Fantom X via midi. Regardless, I think the G is going back.

Jasonbass32, this is the big question for us Fantom G owners! I'm looking forward to checking out the FA-06 and FA-08 when they become available (websites here in australia say march). My impression is that it will sound a lot better than the Fantoms due to the Supernatural stuff + we'll still be able to use Fantom type sounds due to the XV PCM engine. It's all about the finer details now and if the FA-06 and FA-08 do enough of the workstation part of the Fantom G to mean a change will be OK. I expect the 06 keyed will not be as good as the Fantom G6, but if it's OK the price/performance ratio will be hard to beat. Personally though if it ticks all the boxes for me, I'll be seriously thinking about switching to one.
Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

Archived