Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Santana loves Gm

CEB

Sitting here learning 9 Santana tunes and one War tune. First 3 Santana tunes have been in Gm. LOL!

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#4-6 used those chords. LOL

1st 3 were

She's Not There

Evil Ways

No One to Depend On.

But as you can see, if you transposed to Am, you could play them all with the same chords...(which is what we do in a medley). It doesn't even matter which one. I just wait for the singer to decide. Santana keeps like simple for me. LOL :)

I didn't even realize some were in Gm. I always play them all Am (didn't want to stress my brain too much)...

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

You have to play them in Gm so you can use the high C for the Hammond solos. If you play them in Am, there is no high D on the keyboard.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Don't worry: the "Secret Carlos Santana Chord Change" motifs will end by Caravanserai. But even things like Savor evolved viciously over the tenure of the band. Compare Tom Coster's playing of that on Moonflower, to Chester's playing on live versions (probably found on Youtube). WOW.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

One of the tunes I thought was cool has two keyboard players. An Alan Pasqua and a Richard Baker. There is this Latin piano part while the organist jams and trades licks with Carlos.

American Gypsy off Zebop.

You have to play them in Gm so you can use the high C for the Hammond solos. If you play them in Am, there is no high D on the keyboard.

Didn't seem to hurt Soul Sacrifice! :D

That is my favorite but it was not on my list to learn. E Papa Re is a pretty neat jam.

I used to like Santana .. and still like playing the earlier (Rollie) tunes .. but Carlos really grates on me now ... OK, we get it !.. you can play guitar .. but quit noodling all the time .. I swear he would play licks all through Ave Maria LOL !

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

I could not sleep, woke up EARLY. Stupid dream about giant black and yellow spiders.

I worked on American Gypsy. This one is messing with me. The Latin piano parts are easy. The Organ riffing is no problem but trying to do them at the same time is giving me trouble. I think my brain is having problems with the timings.

Looking for live cuts has not provided any alternatives.... Santana toured with 2 keyboards on the versions I have found. I have 3 days to get it down.

[video:youtube]

I could not sleep, woke up EARLY. Stupid dream about giant black and yellow spiders.

I worked on American Gypsy. This one is messing with me. The Latin piano parts are easy. The Organ riffing is no problem but trying to do them at the same time is giving me trouble. I think my brain is having problems with the timings.

Looking for live cuts has not provided any alternatives.... Santana toured with 2 keyboards on the versions I have found. I have 3 days to get it down.

[video:youtube]

I have the same issues when doing Joe Cocker stuff, they want me to play the piano, organ and brass parts together , impossible. I approach it from whats the most significant sound at that time within the song, and just do that part. The Santana stuff, you could start it out with the montuno piano, but then switch it to the organ call and answer with the guitar, then switch back to piano, you cant be expected to do all parts together, unless you sequence.....yuk !

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

I don't like sequencing. Sequences have no soul .... ie. they don't follow you when the band screws up. LOL.

For me, it is fun to think about the comparison with "Sympathy for the Devil" as a funky blues. Or playing "Don't Look Back" (Tosh/Jagger) and trying (gmppf) to subtle mix a Reggae with a mambo-rock until the feel is right...

Almost as exciting as practicing and recording a well pronounced Prof. Longhair version of "Frankie and Johnny"!

Santana is a master of playing with the band and the mix/production to comment on what should sound smooth and good, or in the longer run dreary and lame, it would be cool if the modern tools would allow the same sound-mastery, but then brighter and less distorted, but with equal warmth.

T.

For me, it is fun to think about the comparison with "Sympathy for the Devil" as a funky blues. Or playing "Don't Look Back" (Tosh/Jagger) and trying (gmppf) to subtle mix a Reggae with a mambo-rock until the feel is right...

In one of my early bands we would play Sympathy for the Devil and go into Deep Purple's The Mule... Then after a long jam, return to Sympathy. Talk about confusing an audience...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

One tricky thing about these tunes I am working on is that they are too white for my taste.

Kind of like Mozart's stuff in C Major or Bach's Preludes and Fugues in C major. There are not enough black keys to act as reference or anchor points in the lead parts like the leads in American Gypsy. Easy to get out of position or lose your reference point in that sea of white keys.

FWIW one of my favorite Santana album is Gregg Rollie Band Rain Dance Live. LOL

I'm working on "Smooth" and "Evil Ways" these days. I love Santana but this stuff is right at the cusp of my skillset. The second half of the organ solo in "Evil Ways" is killing me; I can fake something that sounds good, but I get lost in that bit where it goes up and gets faster around the Gm7 with the thumb and pinky on the F/G.

"Smooth" is tricky, but for a completely different reason - there are so many parts I'm having a hard time figuring out which ones to play, and how. Being able to play the Montunos in one hand would help, but I don't think that's possible. I've found that the horn lines seem to be generally more important the organ in that tunes, although trying to do the whole section gets really muddy.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Archived