Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The older I get, the less I like copy protection...

Sundown

Software designers deserve to get paid for their hard work.

Unfortunately the honest consumer winds up with the frustration of dealing with all of the various copy protection schemes. The thieves aren't the ones that are inconvenienced.

It's nights like these (after hours of trying to get a legitimate product to work) that I just want to throw up my hands.

Back to the drawing board...

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No... Funny enough, for all of the iLok threads I've seen in forums, I've never had issues with them. This is an NI issue (Kontakt Player library, NI New York Grand Piano library).

Ugh...

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I know what you mean with NI. I make one patch per song, and tweak them to drop unused samples...this way they load lightning-fast, so important when playing live, and save them as monoliths so I never have to hunt for lost samples (you can do this with the factory library before K5 - K5 locks them down). I'm two days away from playing at a large community festival and all of a sudden loading my flute patch pops up an "unauthorized" box inside my host. It took me a moment before realizing it wasn't my host but Kontakt. I called NI and found out the program scans your samples, and if something looks wrong generates those errors, causing Kontakt to come to a complete halt. It was a bug that triggered it in my particular modified library patch which they since corrected, but here's the thing - it worked just fine for many months, and then one particular day stopped working. They said the delay is put there intentionally to make it harder to hack. Always makes me feel a little uneasy ever since.

They said the delay is put there intentionally to make it harder to hack. Always makes me feel a little uneasy ever since.

This is one of the scariest things I've read in a long time. I currently don't use any N.I. products live, and now I intend to keep it that way.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Somehow, there's a whole world out there with Open Source, software, and just like schematics, also for (digital) hardware, though maybe not chip-artwork. I didn't write "Free", but OS, though a lot of OS is free, but bound by for instance the Gnu Public License, which forces developers to include the rules and pointers to the original code when making derivative works, as in mods to software.

Somehow it appears to be more about that the Source of SW (and to an extend HW) remains "known" and Open, than the price and the copycat behavior.

Customers might like it more to pay for a reliable and fast download for instance, even if the sources could be compiled by themselves, and get good tech support, than that they are interested that others can use the SW for free.

But there's a whole world out there (1/3 of the internet) that uses Free and Open Source software, and those people strangely enough can live! Maybe that's a better solution than taking another bunch of half-nerds aboard the Microsoft or Apple payroll train.

T.

Every time this comes up, these software manufacturers claim their stuff is pirated more, they are small and can't take the hit from piracy, etc. Yet, I've never seen any actual proof of this. Anecdotal evidence is not evidence, unless you're Lionel Hutz.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived