Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HOW DO ORGAN BASS LINES DIFFER FROM PIANO BASS LINES

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's easier to build certain types of grooves because accents are a bit easier to trigger on an organ keyboard.. on the organ a very soft touch triggers the note (or just a bit of a key click), unlike a piano where you have to hit with more force.. Grace notes and off beat accents seem to play a bigger role with organ bass. Also because of the foldback on an organ, an organists hand tend to stay in one position playing, playing a smaller set of notes, and playing off the thumb or pinky on the root.. I'm an organ player but I don't play much LH bass, certainly not like the jazz players. However that's what I observe about the organists with great LH bass skills.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Piano has more velocity based percussive possibilities. Organ is good for fat bass but if you run a Leslie not so much.

When I setup a big rig in an L and cover bass the organ is to the right because the any bass work is done on the 88. Either bass guitar patches or piano patches. I like it better in a rock band.

Maybe if the lower rotar was shut off it would work better but I don't do that.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

JMcS, thank you very much for your organ link that has a very nice section on bass lines.

The page on organfreaks is such that a simple copy and paste does not work. Would you know a way to copy that info?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Archived