Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

We're all fans of Ben Folds here, right?

scottasin

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been a huge fan since Whatever And Ever Amen. In fact, I'll go so far as to say he's my favorite songwriter of the past 15 years. His rock songs rock. His ballads are beautiful. And the diversity of his writing is incredible. The fact that he's also a helluva piano player is just icing on the cake. If you ever see him live, his playing is a good reminder that, at its essence, the piano is a percussion instrument.

Oh WHY have you got nothing to say, actually...

Actually...it's not. According to the liner notes on the CD (and pretty much any lyrics you pull from online) it's "Oh I...have you got nothing to say".

I've played that song awhile, so it's kind of ingrained. I'm a big Ben Folds fan. Not trying to be pissy...it's all dandilions & butterflies. Peace.

"May you stay...forever young."

Saw his solo show. The soundman told me they used 14 channels just for the piano. Multiple mics, guitar stomp boxes hooked up to pickups inside the piano and such. He gets a huge sound out of a grand piano, and knocks it out of tune before the first hour is up.

This show, a couple of years ago, featured a "chat roulette" segment where he got online with the laptop video on the big screen and composed songs for strangers on the spot. "What's your name? What do you do?" 30 seconds later he's singing a new pop song about the person.

As a producer, I really like his "Has Been" album with William Shatner. Don't laugh. It's a great record of original material - not to be confused with the "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" project Shatner did years ago. Most of the tracks are co-written with Ben. Guest singers (who usually handle the chorus so Shatner can talk-sing the verses) include Joe Jackson, Aimee Mann, Henry Rollins and Brad Paisley.

I have not followed his work. But the magazine did a great feature story on him about a year ago or so.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I believe Ben Folds to be in my top 5% of best modern songwriters and top 30%(may vary with mood) of all time. I say this for various reasons. Mainly I don't view the 'creative genius' by what they do, but rather when they do what they d. For that he put the piano back in the front at a time in popular music when it what the back drop for so many years prior. Lyrically the cat is as deep as Dylan. This is one of my faves.

[video:youtube]

"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

Oh WHY have you got nothing to say, actually...

Actually...it's not. According to the liner notes on the CD (and pretty much any lyrics you pull from online) it's "Oh I...have you got nothing to say".

I've played that song awhile, so it's kind of ingrained. I'm a big Ben Folds fan. Not trying to be pissy...it's all dandilions & butterflies. Peace.

lyrics have never made sense to me, and once again I'm baffled... one means something, one kinda doesn't. ah welll, thats why I'm a piano player, not a poet.

Well, I'm a 22 year old living in Colorado...

Fort Collins, I see. Back in the day, before you were born, KTCL broadcast the best free-form, most eclectic music there was, especially in contrast to the commercial rock and uniformly alternative stuff everyone else in the state was playing.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Well, ueehhhm, just like uh, I, am actually not, a fan of that guy.

I'm a long standing J. Jackson fan (nothing all too special, many are), and I do not think Mr Folds adds much that I myself really care for. Good musician, no doubt.

Is that like a veto?! :)

^^^ +1.

To the O.P - NO , one persons treasure is anothers junk, to me , some of his stuff is similar to what we used to shovel out of the chook house.

Was almost going to say nothing , but then I guess threads wouldn't exist :).

(just back from another weeks holiday with NO keyboards and things , standing on top of the huge Opononie sand dune - Wow!:) )

Brett

Archived