Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New boards for 2014: DSI Mopho X4 and a Casio PX-5S.

Steve Force

Clearing out the old, bringing in the new. After Jimmy Alfredson absolutely rocking (bluesing??) the Casio PX-5S I decided to move my Yamaha CP33 and score one. I think it is being shipped TODAY! :thu:

AND...... Later today, via UPS, my new DSI Mopho X4 is arriving.

These will join my "old" (so 2013) Moog SubPhatty, Hammond XK3C and last but not least, Fender Rhodes Mark I in my mancave.

Had to part with the DSI Evolvers but wanted a small footprint, polyphonic analog synth that I can couple with the Prophet 08 Rack.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Clearing out the old, bringing in the new. After Jimmy Alfredson absolutely rocking (bluesing??) the Casio PX-5S I decided to move my Yamaha CP33 and score one. I think it is being shipped TODAY! :thu:

AND...... Later today, via UPS, my new DSI Mopho X4 is arriving.

These will join my "old" (so 2013) Moog SubPhatty, Hammond XK3C and last but not least, Fender Rhodes Mark I in my mancave.

Had to part with the DSI Evolvers but wanted a small footprint, polyphonic analog synth that I can couple with the Prophet 08 Rack.

Cool Steve. Let us know how the polychain works for you. When I swapped my Tetra for my P08 rack, I considered the X4. But I really wanted the one-knob per function which I don't think you get with the mopho keyboards. But I guess you could program sounds on the PO8 and the X4 gives you enough knobs to have good real-time control.

Nord Stage 3 88, Korg Kronos 2 61, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S1, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Cool Steve. Let us know how the polychain works for you. When I swapped my Tetra for my P08 rack, I considered the X4. But I really wanted the one-knob per function which I don't think you get with the mopho keyboards. But I guess you could program sounds on the PO8 and the X4 gives you enough knobs to have good real-time control.

OK, I have spent a few minutes noodling with the Mopho x4 and quite frankly, find the interface to be Highly Intuitive, and that is coming off of a Evolver! I will not yet say it is easier to use than the Evolver ...but...I am right now leaning that way. Right now I do not miss the separate knobs.

In any case DSI's Mopho x4 is, IMO, a winner.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

How do you like the keybed? I'm missing a pressure sensitive synth keyboard and I have heard good things about the DSI keys. I played the original Mopho keyboard quite a while ago and remember liking it.

Nord Stage 3 88, Korg Kronos 2 61, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S1, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

So the Casio PX-5S was delivered today and like always I tore into it. First impressions? I dig it! Still need to find my way around the parameters but logically it makes sense to me. The keybed is solid and the sounds are good. Light weight-wise, but feels substantial. Will dive into the zones now and get this axe configured to my whims. Right now the only challenge I have is figuring out how to set the zone "size" (think: splits) but with the substantial and immediate help from the Casio Community (from Mike Martin on down) mastering this axe will be a snap!

Cool beans!

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Tip: download and install the data editor. It makes the instrument architecture easy to understand, and you set your zones by dragging bars under a picture of the keyboard. Couldn't be simpler.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Archived