Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

K&M omega 18810-with all the add-ons? Anybody using?

ChiefDanG

Anybody using this stand with 2nd tier, mic boom, and maybe even laptop tray?

Just wondering how it works out with all that stuff attached. Sturdy? Collapsible enough? Quick set-up?

I remember somebody (Craig McDonald ?) saying they were planning to trick out their Omega with all the goodies.

Also, it seems some accessories are hard to find in US, no?

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With a view to making my rig more acceptable for wedding rooms (a move which has included getting the CP4), I have been considering the 18810 but have come to the conclusion that the cosmetic improvements over my 18800 are not really worth the trade-off on weight or portability.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I have two of them, both with 2nd tier and one with the laptop holder. These are great for studio use, for live I don't know. It's not very compact, many loose parts. You have to unscrew add-ons to transport it properly. I think the 18880 (which I also have) is better for live. Much lighter and you can leave 2nd and 3rd tier on when folded. Disadvantage: you need a tool to adjust height. The 18810 is very nice stand though, good height adjustability in small increments, very good matching bench. As a single stand it is very sturdy. With the 2nd tier and a heavy board on top you have some back/ forth movement. But not as horrible as most stands today. The laptop holder is unfortunately very wobbly.

I use the Omega with 2nd. tier with my Hamichord and Acuna 88 live. If you are a bit careful with the screws/washers, the setup is not really that difficult (unless you do extremely quick in & out type gigs). It is definitely the best keyboard stand I've ever owned.

I have the 18810 and it's great.. nice and sturdy, pretty easy to set up.. I need sturdy because I almost always have a double manual organ AND a top tier synth.. I don't have the mic or other attachment but given the quality of the K&M stuff I would assume that it's good.

Now the downside is that it even when disassembled it's still pretty large, and there are screws and washers that could easily get lost (I always screw them back into the arms), and there are several separate pieces to carry.. so if you have a small vehicle or you're looking or simplicity this wouldn't necessarily by my first choice but it's very well built, and for me it works very well.. I expect to get a lot of years of use out of it!

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Archived