Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What would you do?

EddiePlaysBass

Hi Imogene, I am doing something differently - playing in a pop band. There's drama brewing there as well but I have nothing to do with that, and am trying hard not to get involved. Yet :)

I will move house this summer and it would allow me to take on a second band, provided we can rehearse in my basement. So I am looking for something low-key. The guitarist I mentioned in the OP came with an idea (spontaneously) which was sort of in line with what I had in mind. Except in my mind there were vocals present, no surf music and the guitarist was excluded from the equation :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you always got."

****remembers some girls from high school*****

Well, not always. :(

:D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

He says its a strong niche market.

That was the guitarist's sales pitch, too. Thing is, I do not want to play in a band with him anymore :) I know that, so why ignore how I feel about it, right?

And I've just about had it with playing genres which I do not particularly like or enjoy listening to myself. Not sure what I'll be doing in the near future, to be honest. Maybe nothing at all :) I could learn to enjoy the sound of silence, I think.

Get out there and live life, David. Do that and you're bound to find things that will inspire you to make music. Do that and you're likely to encounter some other musicians that are into some of the same things as you. But you need to put yourself out there in order for these opportunities to present themselves. They're not going to drop into your lap.

I was actually tempted to seek out a rockabilly gig a few years back. But then I thought seriously about it. Gigs are going to be somewhat scarce because it's small and insular scene. My upright skills are okay, but I don't have any rockabilly slap skills to speak of. AND I only have an electric upright right now, not an acoustic upright. So sometimes it's better to wait for the right opportunity rather than trying to force it.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Thanks for the kind words, Nick. I was in a bad mood yesterday when I posted what I posted.

Right now, it is very difficult for me to devote time to music. Once I get settled into the new life which is waiting for me, I do intend on checking out some jam sessions and going to local band's gigs and networking. And yes, I will start a band of my own liking - with the usual compromises, of course.

On a side-note, I don't think upright slap is a necessity in rockabilly but I get why everyone has come to think that. It's become quite the clichéd picture, much like long hair and leather pants in metal. Why not do the rockabilly thing but play electric / electric upright and no upright slapping? Lots of tunes do not call for it and frankly, I've heard more rockabilly bassists slap out of time / a-rhythmically than I care for. The technique is overused, plain and simple.

At the same time I am hesitant, because this guitarist typically only ever calls when there's band drama in his main band (which he just confirmed smile ) and he talks the talk, but I'm not sure if he won't simply bail out if the band drama dries out again. Having said that, it still would not hurt to give it a go, would it?

Punch line- do you want to be the band equivalent of a booty call or not?

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Archived