Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What would you do?

EddiePlaysBass

I will be moving house somewhere in the middle of this year, and one of the advantages I will have is that the basement will probably have enough room to set up a small rehearsal space: small drum kit, a bass and a guitar amp and a small PA for vocals only.

I approached the drummer of my former rockabilly band. He's a decent drummer and we got along nicely back then. The main issue with that band was the singer. So I told Drummer, I want to start a band with you, and find a singer/guitarist/instrumentalist. Play only what we want to play, and play out about once a month if our schedules allow it. We could go as low as EUR 150,- and still make EUR 50,- per person, which is decent enough :) The only demand I made was: I do not want the singer or guitarist from the old band involved. The drummer was game.

Now the guitarist of that same old band contacted me about starting an instrumental surf-type band with "our" old drummer. No vocals, play once or twice a month and just have a good time. The main reason for all the discord and drama in that particular band was the singer, and I would never put all four of us in the same band again.

Part of me is curious if we could make this instrumental thing work out. I've become a better bass player since those days, and I know the guitarist has improved too. Both he and the drummer have kids, and the drummer also is moving house this year. So in a way we all have the same priorities.

At the same time I am hesitant, because this guitarist typically only ever calls when there's band drama in his main band (which he just confirmed :) ) and he talks the talk, but I'm not sure if he won't simply bail out if the band drama dries out again. Having said that, it still would not hurt to give it a go, would it?

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk to the drummer and see if he agrees about the guitarist and his "drama".

If you keep putting the same people together, you are likely to find the same problems.

Even a once-a-month gig requires a certain level of commitment, the guitarist sounds like he's only thinking out loud while he goes through another moment of band drama, and will likely be back to happily playing as soon as things calm down.

IF the guitarist had called you and said" I already know a club that wants a surf-rock band, twice a month, let's get together and learn some songs" then it would be an idea worth exploring.

Until then, stick with your plan and find a guitarist/singer, or maybe try out a keyboardist/singer.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

If you keep putting the same people together, you are likely to find the same problems.

Worth giving it a try I suppose, but you know the characters so you already know how it will probably end up.

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you always got."

All very true statements! And I agree wholeheartedly. I know this guitarist better than he knows himself, when it comes to music. But the main source of discord back in the days was the singer - especially the chemistry between him and this guitarist. They went from best friends to nemeses in a short time span.

I just got off the phone with said guitarist and I told him: IF I feel inclined to do this, it won't be until (after) this summer, when I am settled into the new house. He said this was fine and acknowledged that he has brought up this surf subject a few times in the past, and never saw it through. He says he will quit his originals band as early as next month (curious about that!) so I offered to call up the drummer and get the three of us together for a drink, in a week or two. This gives everyone the chance to think about things :)

Oh, he did actually mention that he has a list of potential clubs where we can shop for gigs, and knows musicians in a somewhat known local surf band (Belgian surf, who knew?) that are willing to help "us" out once we get started. I remain skeptical, though, and made this very clear to him.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --attributed to Albert Einstein, Ben Franklin, and a number of other smart people
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

I'd give the surf band a miss, not only because of the reasons mentioned above, but the market for such music is surely niche and limited, although that may be different from over here for all I know.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

An instrumental surf tribute band?

You could play music of the Ventures, The Surfaris, Dick Dale and the Deltones, Link Wray, The Trashmen, the Chantays, etc.

It might be fun and might pull in audiences.

I'd still be leery of starting a band with people you've played with before and stopped playing with because of "issues".

You know the personalities and issues involved far better than any of us, David. But I think one tried and true cliché needs to be added to the discussion: those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

I know that finding new bandmates can be a frustrating process. And sometimes working with someone you already know can be easier than going through the process of a search for musicians. But perhaps in this case it would be better for you and the drummer to find some new people in an effort to freshen things up?

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --attributed to Albert Einstein, Ben Franklin, and a number of other smart people

Also Mother Teresa and Frank Zappa, I believe.

True, nonetheless.

The corollary to that one is: If what you're doing isn't working, try something else.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Ed, I wouldn't do the surf thing as a full on project, maybe learn some stuff for the craic and the social thing but I wouldn't put the it on the main agenda.

I think the once a month paying gig is the way forward but go bigger. Pick the best gigging band on your scene and go after them!!

Gawd, I've got sooo many things to say - and sooo many reasons not to say them.

C'mon, Frank! We all know me well enough to know that I only post it here because deep down I already KNOW that I should just walk away from this idea. I just need you guys (and girls) for the tough love bit. So lay all your tough love on me!

For the record, I am seriously leaning against the idea. Mainly because I know the guitarist well enough to realize he is just after a guitarbation reverb wank fest and needs (live) backing tracks to play against. No glory here for me - he will pick the songs based on "Can I shine on this stuff and is it easy enough for me to do it?".

And the drummer is definitely NOT a surf drummer. I just wonder if he (drummer) realizes this too :)

I thought about it. I really did. Weighed the pro's (like wearing shorts, flip flops and Hawaiian shirts on stage) and the cons (like wearing shorts, flip flops and Hawaiian shirts on stage) and ultimately what made me decide to nix it, was what the guitarist said:

"We always had fun and laughs back in the days, man!"

No, we didn't. And if "we" did, I sure as hell missed out on it! Out of the 5,382 posts I made on this forum, WAY too many have been about band drama, and in particular about that band and the recurrent drama. He is on the rebound, being hurt from what his current band is doing to him. If they make amends, he will stop calling again.

Used to play a John Hiatt tune with the blues band, called "Old Habits". It had a bass intro and I would always start it too slow according to band, but I just loved it when it dragged along. You know how some songs just sound great when they drag along? I thought about that song today:

"Now how much more abuse are you gonna take

I guess old habits are hard to break"

Maybe today I finally managed to break one?

C'mon, Frank! We all know me well enough to know that I only post it here because deep down I already KNOW that I should just walk away from this idea. I just need you guys (and girls) for the tough love bit. So lay all your tough love on me!

Y'know, I luvs ya like a bruddah.

Just want to see you get into something and actually crush it. You're due.

I'm thinking maybe a cool blues thing. Old school. Way old school. Put your drummer on a cajon and his foot on a tambo. Bust out the WAV 4 strung with Optimas and a little piece of foam over the bridge. Find a new guy that can do dobro and maybe some harp. Low impact. Small footprint. Something that not everyone else is doing. Something people will drink to. Maybe move a little old school reggae in there with it to funk it up a bit. Learn to do some singing while playing over standard I7, IV7, V7 triads, then walk that solo like a dog. Get a wild hair and channel your inner Jack Bruce by playing the second verse on the down beat. Rip off the riffs for "Stormin' Monday" and throw your own lyrics on it (seems to be a time honored blues tradition).

Yeah. That's a project.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Change your forum name to "SisyphusPlaysBass"?

This weeks winner of the "Literary Reference Obscura" award.

In Greek mythology Sisyphus was a king of Ephyra (now known as Corinth) punished for chronic deceitfulness by being compelled to roll an immense boulder up a hill, only to watch it roll back down, and to repeat this action forever. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Play only what we want to play

The set list always starts with the lead singer. If he/she can't sing a song there's no point in doing it.

There are a few musicians who both sing and play guitar well. They are already leading their own bands. If you do happen to join his/her band you will play only what he/she wants to play.

The ones that are desperately available only want to play their own originals (and not yours).

Then there are good singers who play a little rhythm guitar. That's usually not enough to cut it for a trio.

Of course there are good guitarists who sing a little. Again, it's not enough.

Play only what we want to play

The set list always starts with the lead singer. If he/she can't sing a song there's no point in doing it.

This I know. By "we" I did mean "the band" - whoever it will be. It worked with the blues band. We all picked songs WE liked and only occasionally the singer couldn't manage so we dropped those songs without a hint of regret.

It did not work with the rockabilly band because we all picked songs, then the singer would claim not to be able to sing them and suggest songs which had nothing to do with our band's sound or style. In his defense he was right to a point: he really can't sing, period :grin:

I have placed ads before saying: "Looking to start a cover band" and I get tons of people mailing "Let's play my originals!" If I go this route again, I will not bother replying. There's a reason why I make an effort when I write my ads :)

Since I'm not in your exact situation and don't know all of the details, I can only comment on what I would do in a similar one.

I couldn't imagine myself not seeking out other, immediate, opportunities after all of that drama. I'd already be doing something else and wouldn't have the time for what you are considering in the OP. Move on so to speak.

Archived