Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Winter NAMM 2014 Reports

Geoff Grace

This is cool. An iPad keyboard that folds up into an iPad case. The keys are spring loaded and become flat when they are in the closed case position.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/hammonddave/image_zpsdeeb6456.jpg

The C-to-B layout opens up an interesting possibility. It would be very cool if you could buy a second identical keyboard surface and latch in to the right of the first, so another easily portable attachment would connect to turn it into a 48-key board (or add yet another one for a 72). I don't supposed they mentioned any such possibility?

As I mentioned in my post above, yes you can attach multiple keyboards together to expand it.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's not forget this cute little thing from Korg: the tinyPiano.

http://s27.postimg.org/cw8grtf3n/redtoypiano.jpg

I'm pretty sure there's someone in the Korg product division who wakes up every morning with the thought: "mini keys are awesome; what can I design around mini keys today...?" :P

- Guru

miniDash ? A Korg mini key product that specially attaches for in-vehicle playing. That way, if you're not being distracted by a cell phone, you can always increase your risks by composing, or practicing. :crazy:

Love the tinyPiano, BTW :thu:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

http://s27.postimg.org/cw8grtf3n/redtoypiano.jpg

I'm pretty sure there's someone in the Korg product division who wakes up every morning with the thought: "mini keys are awesome; what can I design around mini keys today...?" :P

- Guru

Let me guess: no aftertouch?

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

an 88 key instrument that expands upon the core soundset of the JP50 - at 36 lb., no less - seems like a jobber's dream; especially so at that price point.

Yes... though while it nicely expands on the core soundset of the JP50 in terms of having all the XV-5080 sounds to "fill in the gaps," I'm curious to see which SN acoustic tones didn't make the cut.

Meanwhile, my dream, performance keyboard from Roland: Take the FA front panel control design, add 9, multi-use draw-sliders, then combine that with a JP50 sound engine - all with expanded controller features. Round that out with a 76 key action w/aftertouch, and it would be unbeatable. Perhaps we'll see something close to that for NAMM 2015 :cool:

If there were simply a 73/76 key version of the FA with aftertouch, I'd buy that. (Assuming it has decent ways to integrate external MIDI sound sources as well.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

As I mentioned in my post above, yes you can attach multiple keyboards together to expand it.

Ah, I hadn't gotten that far, that's great! Right now my toss-and-travel board is a Korg Microstation, but I like the looks of this.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

- Guru

:laugh: Good one Guru! Thanks for making me laugh.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

- Guru

First legitimate use of 2 octave mini keys I've seen.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Ah, I hadn't gotten that far, that's great! Right now my toss-and-travel board is a Korg Microstation, but I like the looks of this.

Miselu is also promising "CoreMIDI-over-Bluetooth" that's supposed to to be low latency, so in theory the iPad cover/keyboard will not need a physical connector to the iPad.

More info on the Miselu C.24 here.

an 88 key instrument that expands upon the core soundset of the JP50 - at 36 lb., no less - seems like a jobber's dream; especially so at that price point.

Yes... though while it nicely expands on the core soundset of the JP50 in terms of having all the XV-5080 sounds to "fill in the gaps," I'm curious to see which SN acoustic tones didn't make the cut.

Meanwhile, my dream, performance keyboard from Roland: Take the FA front panel control design, add 9, multi-use draw-sliders, then combine that with a JP50 sound engine - all with expanded controller features. Round that out with a 76 key action w/aftertouch, and it would be unbeatable. Perhaps we'll see something close to that for NAMM 2015 :cool:

If there were simply a 73/76 key version of the FA with aftertouch, I'd buy that. (Assuming it has decent ways to integrate external MIDI sound sources as well.)

Looking forward to playing an FA-08 at Sweetwater Gearfest '14. It will be interesting to see what SN tones didn't make it into the roster. And including the XV-5080 sounds is a welcome addition. Have renewed my vows to the '5080; but it's showing advanced age: No replacement 'data increment pot' ( there's a fancier term, but I can't recall it) available from Roland, or found - so far - 3rd party; the increment / decrement buttons are suffering from overuse, and once those go things will get messy, fast.

Yeah, a 73/76 FA might be worth looking at - when the time comes. Though I'd still rather see that new, performance "JP" - now with the addition of the XV-5080 sounds. Hope they don't skip the '76' on the next performance 'board, as that seems to be the keybed / action that's now trendy to avoid building (and the K5 controller is a lot of $$$$).

Geez, I'm picky. It'd be frightening if a venture capitalist backed me :crazy: .

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

(I was going to mention Hammond/Suzuki as well, but it looks like their much advertised leslie pedal may be vapourware, there certainly don't seem to be any out there!)

The Leslie pedal from Hammond/Suzuki has been shipping since last summer. There are two of them at the booth at NAMM this year as well as two smaller, more guitar-pedalboard friendly versions. Not sure why you think it's vaporware.

(I was going to mention Hammond/Suzuki as well, but it looks like their much advertised leslie pedal may be vapourware, there certainly don't seem to be any out there!)

The Leslie pedal from Hammond/Suzuki has been shipping since last summer. There are two of them at the booth at NAMM this year as well as two smaller, more guitar-pedalboard friendly versions. Not sure why you think it's vaporware.

Yeah, my local shop even has one in stock. Tried it out, sounded very good, but not good enough to displace my Vent.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Miselu is also promising "CoreMIDI-over-Bluetooth" that's supposed to to be low latency, so in theory the iPad cover/keyboard will not need a physical connector to the iPad.

More info on the Miselu C.24 here.

Aftertouch!!

There's this new mixer out from Allen & Heath: Qu-24 Digital Mixer, it has analog specs, and they're very good. *But* it mixes 30 in 24 out in 48kHz sampling frequency.

It does everything with it's own display and knobs but can connect digital, has total recall (motorized faders), and an integrated multi-track usb (!) recorder for 18 tracks, per channel DSP inserts, touch display, etc. Like a wave for the future (if only it weren't like $4k and worked at 192kHz or DSD).

Practical in terms of the recent discussions would maybe be more the (not at NAMM) MixWizard WZ4 14:4:2 for a little over $1k.

But it's an interesting discussion for people with interesting monitoring and multiple few $k boards.

T.

miniDash ? A Korg mini key product that specially attaches for in-vehicle playing. That way, if you're not being distracted by a cell phone, you can always increase your risks by composing, or practicing. :crazy:

Who can remember that thread from a few years ago (I was just a lurker) from the guy who wanted a board to practice on while he was driving? I tried a quick Svengle, but "car" is too vague, and I couldn't clearly remember any other words/phrases.

Cheers, Mike.

I don't think this has been posted yet:

Hammond A-162

As an owner of an A100, and a xk3C system (minus pedals), I am not a potential customer. I am VERY glad that H-S (and others) continues to make and improve organs that strive to be like the tonewheel organs.

There will also be a new Leslie:

http://hammondorganco.com/the-new-leslie-981/

It is a 122 size cabinet with the electronics of a 3300.

There will also be a new Leslie:

http://hammondorganco.com/the-new-leslie-981/

It is a 122 size cabinet with the electronics of a 3300.

Hey cool! I was interested in a 3300W before I got my 122, but of course that model is not available in the USA. I wonder what the price of the 981 will be. Hopefully closer to the 3300 than the 122xb.

I don't think this has been posted yet:

Hammond A-162

As an owner of an A100, and a xk3C system (minus pedals), I am not a potential customer. I am VERY glad that H-S (and others) continues to make and improve organs that strive to be like the tonewheel organs.

This is cool, but I know a real A-100 will be cheaper. But I loved this quote

"This system even surpasses the beloved antique A-100 with the inclusion of a state-of-the-art Digital Leslie, a benefit not found on the original. "

I think there's a grave spinning somewhere. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I vaguely recall, Allan, that you intended to reduce the size of your Kronos... but the Korg MicroKronos sounds a wee bit drastic... ;)

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

I vaguely recall, Allan, that you intended to reduce the size of your Kronos... but the Korg MicroKronos sounds a wee bit drastic... ;)

- Guru

:laugh:

MicroKronos.... Surprised that Korg tried that one yet. Bet it would fit, in-dash :thu:

This is cool. An iPad keyboard that folds up into an iPad case. The keys are spring loaded and become flat when they are in the closed case position.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/hammonddave/image_zpsdeeb6456.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/hammonddave/image_zps031bb920.jpg

The Miselu C24. I'm still sort of interested but now have concerns about which iPad models it will fit. That's the problem with any iPad product (eg. ioDock) designed to enclose the entire iPad.

After revisiting the FA-08 today and spending quite a bit more time with it I definitely have tempered my enthusiasm. I wrote down the SN sounds included and it is very much a subset of the Jupiter/Integra-7.

What's included are:

APs, EPs, clavs, B3, FM EPs, one 60s organ and one theater organ.

Acoustic and electric basses

Acoustic guitars (no electrics, distorted, plucked, ethnic)

A small selection of bells and a few mallets

Ensemble strings

Drums

A wide selection of synth tones (basses, leads, pads, box, etc.)

Missing SN sounds include:

Solo strings, brass, woodwinds. Ensemble brass and woodwinds. Electric guitars (all varieties)

Accordions, harps, harmonicas, choirs, saxes, flutes

Ethnic sounds

Percussion, e.g. tympani

Yes there are PCM equivalents to most all of these, but I was disappointed to find many of what I considered to be the best from the SN acoustic tones to be missing.

But the synth tones are very strong and I do think it's a competitive board in this price range.

Busch.

I wrote down the SN sounds included and it is very much a subset of the Jupiter/Integra-7.

I'm not at all surprised. The FA has the features and the flexibility, but I still have to go with the MOXF for the Yamaha sounds, and then the flash card functionality puts it over the top. But if I didn't have the luxury of another board for organs/synths, if I was trying to get it all in one board on a budget, it would be a different story. For an "all-in-one" it's way beyond an XW-P1 or VR-09, a lot more portable than a PC3LE, and a lot cheaper than a NS2. And from as much as I can tell without getting my hands on one (or even a manual), it looks like it is strong in ergonomics and interface.

Missing SN sounds include:

Solo strings, brass, woodwinds. Ensemble brass and woodwinds. Electric guitars (all varieties)

Accordions, harps, harmonicas, choirs, saxes, flutes

Ethnic sounds

Percussion, e.g. tympani

Yes there are PCM equivalents to most all of these, but I was disappointed to find many of what I considered to be the best from the SN acoustic tones to be missing.

What's the point of this? Are we to assume that someone at Roland ultimately decided that they had PCM versions of many sounds that were preferable to the new SN ones?

I've got a Jupiter-50 and a Roland XV-5050, and there are plenty of great sounds in both machines. But the XV sound library is just so...... old.

I think I'd tell my engineers to get back to work on the SN sound engine, if the SN winds aren't better to have than the PCM ones. (Like burningbusch, I really love many of the excluded SN sounds, and can't imagine why they weren't included in the FA.)

I love the idea of the FA, but don't believe I'll be buying one without having a chance to play with it first. My enthusiasm is also a bit dampened by this info. Thanks for it, though.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

The FA has the virtual expansion slots and can load tones from the axial site (for now the integra synth downloads) or any of expansion boards built into the Integra (starting at the end of February).

Isn't that the equivalent of the Yamaha flash card? Regardless, it seems the FA can be outfitted to the user's needs.

Archived