Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Winter NAMM 2014 Reports

Geoff Grace

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well the Moog Sub 37 is official ....Essentially a well expanded Sub Phatty: loopable envelopes, two mod busses, some additional wave shaping through feedback, one knob per function, 37 key aftertouch, $1500 street :cool::thu:

Bullseye! :thu::love: This is exactly the synth I've been hoping Moog would make, plus a few more features. Looks like I've got at least three months to save up or sell old stuff. I can say right now I intend to get one of these, even if they don't add anything else to it. Thank you, Moog! :cool:

I may not need this, but I don't think I'm going to be able to resist buying it. Which is probably the sentence that a manufacturer most wants to hear!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Sub 37 is pretty much the coolest analog I've seen out of the vast crop of analogs over the last ten years or so; the features are great, the price is decent, all-around an awesome synth even without the "extras" that may make it between now and when it's finally released. Makes me want to visit NAMM this year.

My music http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Pk12

My Soundware (Kurzweil PC3)http://pksoundware.blogspot.com/

My Kurzweil PC3 Tutorials http://www.youtube.com/user/poserp.

Just a shame it's such a crap sound, though that depends on the demonstrator, too (and on the monitoring). One would almost prefer a digital Nord...

T.

:facepalm:

Man, I think all of your work on the Kurzweil has taken a VAST toll on your hearing.

Just a shame it's such a crap sound, though that depends on the demonstrator, too (and on the monitoring). One would almost prefer a digital Nord...

T.

:facepalm:

Man, I think all of your work on the Kurzweil has taken a VAST toll on your hearing.

:laugh:

I like the Sub 37; lots of possibilities there. For what I do, and for the cost, it's not practical. But hearing it did influence me to whip up a new patch for Animoog :D

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

And now for the Hohner Airboard...

Where do they find these guys?

"It's completely polyphonic! No wires. No speakers. No anything. It's completely air powered." :facepalm:

[video:youtube]qonV0g3DyDg

Well, it seems to me they have a fantastic sense of humor. I've already got 2 melodicas airboards.

CV Out is currently the most requested feature in an unofficial "What do you want" poll thread.

Do you happen to have a link to that?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

and NOTHING at all yet from Yamaha????

The Motif XYZ will be announced tomorrow. Touch screen, breath controller, polyphonic aftertouch, 5 synth engines, friendly user interface.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

was that an attempt at humour or just another of those puerile statements that seem to abound on this forum?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Thanks, I didn't want to confuse you with someone with intelligence or humour.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Wow, Moog. I'm into it. Sub-1500$. Mmm.

http://www.attackmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Moog-Sub37-631x300.jpg

Most definitely. :thu:

Really cool!!!

Aftertouch ???

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Yeah, the additional specs and pricing on the Sub 37 mean I'm probably going to spring for this before getting around to the Prophet '12 purchase. It's a bonus that it also LOOKS awesome.

I'm curious about the Alesis keytar because the previous model was tempting at its recent blowout prices but have some extreme negative reviews. If they didn't address its flaws and simply gave it wireless capabilities, I'm disinterested. But I've always liked the idea of the velocity/torque arm if done well, as it's something you don't get in a standard keyboard so makes this a viable alternate controller, just like a breath controller adds something different to the picture.

The Arturia pad controller looks to be a stripped down version of Spark, but might also give the Korg padKontrol a run for its money with additional features and perhaps better executed velocity sensitivity and aftertouch on the pads, even if it doesn't have that nifty KaossPad that I use for flams and rolls as well as snare brush swishes.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Korg's new RK100s keytar looks sort of interesting. A body made of real wood? Read another NAMM report that mentioned it having the same keybed as the MS-20 "mini" - which the Korg website says is 87% the size of regular keys. Would need to see what that would mean if played with my mitts. Will also be curious to read about the MIDI implementation. Learned a valuable lesson about checking out ALL the details in that regard when I learned that the Roland AX synth I purchased doesn't transmit MSB/LSB data or volume control data over its MIDI implementation. That pretty much rendered keyboard useless as a controller.
The SpaceNorman :freak:

I'm confused, that's the photoshopped picture from before this morning video.

The other Sub-37 picture I found was too big to post. I'm sure other photos will show up soon...

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived