Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Winter NAMM 2014 Reports

Geoff Grace

From the announcement:

David Koltai had this to say, "The obscure, German-made Dynacord CLS-222 rack unit, most famously used by Pink Floyd's David Gilmour on the Division Bell tour, has been the closest anyone ever came to sounding like the real thing... until now."

LOL ..... they never heard about the Ventilator or the Burn......ha ha ha

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks JohnDoe, I checked this out. Their blurb says (in part) " The analog circuitry used within the Rototron sounds warmer, fatter and feels far more realistic than the digital rotary effects currently available from other companies."

That's quite a bold statement, considering that they're up against Rotosound, GSI and Neo Instruments to name but three. (I was going to mention Hammond/Suzuki as well, but it looks like their much advertised leslie pedal may be vapourware, there certainly don't seem to be any out there!)

I also notice that there is no mention of a drive on this pedal. I think that could be a dealbreaker for me. However, the price and availability are right ($275 and April), so if you don't need a drive, this could be worth looking at.

The only concern I have, is that Pigtronix are known for guitar pedals - excellent guitar pedals BTW - so I'm just wondering if this may be configured more for guitar than keys.

EDIT: I see that it has stereo I/O, so it may be keyboard friendly.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Well the Moog Sub 37 is official ....

[video:youtube]0N4xntZbdW0

Essentially a well expanded Sub Phatty: loopable envelopes, two mod busses, some additional wave shaping through feedback, one knob per function, 37 key aftertouch, $1500 street :cool::thu:

Didn't see anything about CV connectivity. :idk

"Rototron accurately recreates the complex acoustic phenomenon of the legendary dual-rotor 122 and 147 Leslie cabinets as used by Peter Frampton, Danny Gatton, the Beatles and many others." Like maybe, a keyboard player or two? :facepalm:

This is clearly oriented or marketed towards guitar players, though like SSM said, it does have stereo input as well as "line-level headroom."

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Korg Triton Taktile:

[video:youtube]

Interesting, but rather unusual, using the Triton name. Seems like a bit of a back step for Korg.

They were discussing this last week on the Korgforums website.

:idk

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

So Steve Nathan - how's the VI Labs Ravenscroft?

http://vilabsaudio.com/news

Some info from pianobuyer.com:

"Handcrafted in Scottsdale, Arizona by piano builder Michael Spreeman, the Ravenscroft piano entered the market for high-end performance pianos in 2006. Two models are available, the 7' 3" model 220 and the 9' model 275. The 220 made its debut in 2007 in the Manufacturers' Showcase of the 50th Annual Convention of the Piano Technicians Guild. A custom-built model 275 is currently the official piano at the Tempe Center for the Arts.

While the general trend in the industry seems to be toward outsourcing to less expensive suppliers, Spreeman says his concept is the exact opposite. Appealing to the niche market of high-end consumers, Spreeman's approach is more along the lines of the early European small-shop builders, with an emphasis on quality and exclusivity.

The case and iron frame of the Ravenscroft piano are constructed in Germany by Sauter to Ravenscroft specifications and shipped to the Arizona facility. The Renner action and Kluge keys of each piano are computer-designed to optimize performance. The rib scale, soundboard, bridges, and string scale are designed by Spreeman, who meticulously hand-builds each instrument with his three-person team.

Currently, only four to six pianos are produced yearly, with pricing beginning at $230,000 for a model 220, and up to $550,000 for a model 275 with "all the extras," including titanium string terminations, exotic veneers, intarsia, artwork, and inlays of precious stones. Most instruments are custom ordered and can take up to a year to complete."

Korg MS-20 Synth Kit (limited edition):

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/01/23/korg-ms-20-kit-lets-you-build-a-full-size-analog-monophonic-synth-classic/

Clearly for the geek/purist crowd, the folks who don't trust the build quality or authenticity of the MS-20 Mini and/or dislike its reduced size compared to the original.

Korg MS-20 kit... full size no less. Hmmm, OK.

http://www.jrrshop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/300x300/742e395d4ae34e762b1c4e194ed3c636/m/s/ms-20.jpg

http://www.jrrshop.com/namm-news/korg-ms-20-kit

Edit: LOL, we posted at the same time, Mr. Silver.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Essentially a well expanded Sub Phatty: loopable envelopes, two mod busses, some additional wave shaping through feedback, one knob per function, 37 key aftertouch, $1500 street :cool::thu:

And arp, and sh101 style sequencer with ties and rests, and 256 presets via 16 banks of 16 presets, and so on..

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

Sub 37.... Now you're talkin'.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

This is lookin' good. Real good.

Sonic State though is presenting this thing as a prototype. Lately, Moog Music appears to be more active in their own forum. Perhaps if enough people make noise about the CV stuff on the forum, they'll consider adding it. CV Out is currently the most requested feature in an unofficial "What do you want" poll thread.

Well the Moog Sub 37 is official ....Essentially a well expanded Sub Phatty: loopable envelopes, two mod busses, some additional wave shaping through feedback, one knob per function, 37 key aftertouch, $1500 street :cool::thu:

Bullseye! :thu::love: This is exactly the synth I've been hoping Moog would make, plus a few more features. Looks like I've got at least three months to save up or sell old stuff. I can say right now I intend to get one of these, even if they don't add anything else to it. Thank you, Moog! :cool:

><>

Steve

New Alesis V and VI series controllers:

http://www.alesis.com/tradeshows/wnamm2014/alesis.html

Sorry, Allan (and others), only 25/49/61. :deadhorse:

You're getting fast at this; beat me to the punch :laugh:

Yep - different circus, same clowns. I opened the link, saw the 25 key controller, and thought: "Poor little fellow; who cut off your tail ? ". Started getting faintly excited - as I saw 61 keys approach; but after that.... :(:P:taz:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Korg: I'm with DBon. You had me until "same keyboard action as..." PUT THE KRONOS/M3 ACTION OUT THERE.

Never gonna happen. That action is for the flagships, not the lower tier boards and controllers.

Anyway, moving on...

Alesis: Pads right below the wheels?

Seriously! Did they get any real players to beta these controllers before release? How many times will you accidentally trigger one of those pads trying to get a quick pitch bend or mod in? Seems like a very poor design choice to me.

Put the pads ABOVE the wheels! Makes more sense!

Les Mizzell

----------------------------------------------

Archived