Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Winter NAMM 2014 Reports

Geoff Grace

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll join in and give special thanks to NAMM King Geoff. As well to Eric, great pics! :thu:

I'm coming away from NAMM with GAS for the Sub 37 and still for the PX5-S. I might flip my FP-4 for the latter. Not sure if I'd want to flip my Mopho or combine it with the Sub 37. I suppose ca$h will dictate that.

The FA-08 would also be interesting, but I'll have to see if it does the job as DP.

The Sub 37 is really really good, and a LOT of fun to play. I can't imagine anyone here not loving it.

I´m with SSM here: where can I find any userinfo/ review of the H/S Lesliepedal?

Hi JohnDoe,

After Jim (gently!) told me off for calling this pedal vapourware, I googled "YouTube Hammond Leslie Pedal" and there is a demo.

I also tried eBay, where they are going for $399,

I was fairly unimpressed, I know Youtube only gives an impression, but I wouldn't use two out of the four sounds, and the drive knob seems very anaemic.

I would definitely buy the New Vent or the Burn instead of this. YMMV.

Best,

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Thank´s SSM!

I found one demo, Scott May running an SK1 through the pedal. Hard to say what it´s like, I got kind of a theaterorgan vibe from it and the drive was a bit weak.

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

Remember the big console last year from Yamaha, with big jazzy sounds ? Now that's a bit here, maybe, with theYamaha Tyros5 Theatre Organ sounds:

[video:youtube]

Maybe the famous Jeff Lorber has got some interesting

on this years show.

JBL 3 Series Studio Monitors and LSR310S Subwoofer:

Steinberg Cubase 7.5 (from Yamaha booth, with sound interface):

What a large number of words about the

Maybe people will in principle like the programmable Moog, Not From Prof. Moog ?

I mentioned the Allen and Heath QU24 Digital Mixer, here's a video (please please, gimme 5k and 192kHz version ?):

For less money, also sampling at 44.1 or 48.0 kS/s, here a nice look:

See Qsc Web site.

How do you like the sound on this Elektron Analog Keys board:

I'm not sure what the advantage of the DIY is here, but this sounds a bit better, most likely (as I recall the original):

Korg MS20

Well, the Prophet 12 rack will be it, for sure:

T.V.

Right next door was the Fazioli space. The Fazioli 228 played better and sounded more focused, tonally, then the 9'er next to it. A dream piano for sure ! Carlo you need one of these man... ;)

I have played a few Faziolis, and quite frankly, they're not my favorite among the high-end grands. They're wonderfully designed and built, they have a highly detailed tone and perhaps the best dynamic control in the business, but to my ears, their basic tone is not as warm as what you *can* find on a good Steinway, Bose or even some of the best Schimmell models.

That said, I won't refuse one... :D

And of course, it could be that there are better ones around, than the ones I've played.

When I win the lottery I'm gonna buy you one. :cool:

Thank you... it's going to be a lot better than my humble Yamaha grand anyway! :D

And btw, thanks a lot for the reports! :thu:

Well, I haven;t played one, but I think the Fazioli variations I've heard on a number of youtubes, including from the factory and more casual recordings sound great, but aren't a real match for the established great names. Honestly they sound to flat and similar to compare with the depth and expression power chord-mix accuracy, and probably it's catching people more easily that it makes a sort of grand tone-like sound. Years of practice on a Steinway get further, I'm sure. But again, it sounds nice, except it is IMO purely a hype to take it as the new Yamaha-with-the-great-tone or something, or technically at any rate and in any way far superior to a good Bosendorfer etc.

Of course when rich people like the enclosure color better: why not ;) .

I think you have hit on it Theo , there is something slightly "flat" (still beautiful live mind you) sounding about it , compared to a seriously good Steinway.

My camera didn't do justice to the beautiful rich gold color poring out from under the lid off the frame etc.

Brett

Did anyone visit there Mason & Hamlin booth? They're still by far my favorite for classical and also for a lot of jazz and even rock. Just wondering if they've remained healthy in this climate. Last time I visited they had a mind-blowing mahogany piano that sounded and felt like nothing I'd ever touched before (the "black" keys were mahogany as was the piano encasing).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Thanks, Will.

And I too would like to thank everyone for your reportsespecially those who went to the show and shared what they saw.

I know first hand both how much fun, and how exhausting, the show can be; so I understand the extra effort it takes to stop by here and post after a long day in Anaheim. Thank you!

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Cool photos, Mike.

I've got some here also.

Aimless wandering around the NAMM floor.

Special thanks to Dan Patten for his warm hospitality and generosity at the RedKey Lounge!!

Text and lots of photos can be found here:

http://elevenshadows.com/sss/namm2014/

http://elevenshadows.com/sss/namm2014/images/70879kenlee_namm2014-guskenjeff.jpg

Jeff, Ken, Gus

http://elevenshadows.com/sss/namm2014/images/70891kenlee_namm2014-korgms20kit.jpg

Korg MS-20 kit

http://elevenshadows.com/sss/namm2014/images/70896kenlee_namm2014-moogsub37tribute.jpg

Moog Sub 37 Tribute

Archived