Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A new full featured mini PC from Intel

Jazzmammal

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check this out

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2429536,00.asp

Makes you go hmmmm, doesn't it?

Bob

Sorry no,- no PCIe slot for my audio/MIDI interface.

I also don´t expect too much from a consumer machine using a i5 processor w/ 3MB cache only and per core stock speed of under 3GHz is also not ideal when running several apps & plugins simultaneously.

Unfortunately, cache matters for polyphony w/ ROMplers, sample players and synths.

But it might be cool w/ a USB2 audio interface, Cantabile and only a few VIs.

A.C.

Thanks for posting this, Bob.

Prediction: a lot of keyboardists are going to see this as the ideal box for playing VSTs live.

I won't count myself among them... ;). Still, interesting.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Good idea, still need a monitor, mouse and keyboard (qwerty) though, so live use would be limited I'd reckon. Laptop, tablet or hybrid tablet are still the way to go imo.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

It does seem like you'd be paying a Mac Mini type price in order to get the most out of it, but more interesting to me is that it's approximately half the size and weight of the Mini. This gets me back to thinking about a recent thread here about using a computer live without a display. I may have to revisit that.

I, when the choice is present, rather have a machine of 5x the price including some more peripherals and a heavy graphics card, but it might be and interesting project box.

There's forced cooling in it, the processor does it's own heat management, you might have to factor that in: it runs at 200% turbo speed to get it's 2 cores from 1.6 GHz to a decent fast I7 notebook (complete for what, 1 1/2 times the price ?), but the (for a fast notebook small) 65W feeding the little box, regardless of the lower power new chip technology is going to make it hot, and then it will throttle your performance according to the specs. Memory bandwidth can be good enough, I don't know if the processor (costs about as much as the basic box..) could be replaced like in PCs or how warm the memory and disk will get.

Sata3 is nice, display port cool, Intel graphics will work, but of course not for any hot 3D or out-of-the-intel-programs video acceleration.

Maybe it can be stuck in a synthesizer enclosure (so could a notebook), but it will need cooling. It can run Linux, fine, but for a PC, I wouldn't want less than an serious I7 with some more stuff.

T

I wouldn't have thought the little machine would have a fan spinning up to 4000RPM: that's like a badass rack server unit.

The I5 in the original quote may become 90 degrees C hot, so it may be the way to prevent throttling but even with such a fan speed: feeding 65 watts into the little brick is in the longer run getting it hot, which may be not a great idea for discs, I donno for the memory chips. There's different electronics norms: I run amplifier chips that officially throttle power down at 150 degrees Celcius (!), which makes a very big heatsink less necessary, but a lot of digital stuff (flash chips ?) has a much lower maximum temperature.

And you shouldn't let me run some stuff to "Max" out the processor temperature: I get a 300W dual fan heatsink in an enclosure with major additional fans hotter than spec without problems: just make sure it uses the integer and floating point pipeline, stides through all memory banks, uses all forms of SSE, and in the case of this little machine do some serious graphics and point-to-point transfers (hot buffers), and lets see how fast this think will throttle !

Still a nice little machine, I'd prefer a huge heatsink and fan-less operation: these 4th gen (and 4d gen) Is have more energy saving chip processes.

T

The Lenovo M93p has been out for a while, and it can be configured with a quad-core i7 processor, and all the RAM you might want, and it's price is quite attractive. My violin teacher bought one on my recommendation, and he loves it, but he uses it only for his various businesses. Whilst I'm an old-fashioned tower-guy, I have to say: the form factor is kind of cool and it is very fast.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Archived