Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Standtastic 3 tier

EscapeRocks

I have read through the thread I found that started in 2008.

Is the Standtastic 3 tier still the best option for 3 boards? Space is not an issue. I would be placing my PX350, Korg Krome61 and Korg M50 61 on the stand. Seated playing height.

The modifier in me has considered getting an extra clamp and bars for my AX-90, but I'm having a hard time finding a set...even at Ultimate.

So I'm just curious what people with 3 boards, who sit without doing the "L" setup, use.

Thanks!

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Arturia Keylab 61MK2 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It'll certainly give you the most adjustability for getting the right angles, depth, and close together if you want. The drawbacks, particularly compared to your apex stand, is that it's kind of clunky setting up, tearing down, and transporting.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I used a Quik-Lok 3 tier for a while, and went to the Standtastic because with the Quik-Lok, the top tier was so far away that I could barely reach it. I was able to get them set much closer with the Standtastic.

At the time I was using, Top to bottom

Korg N364

Hammond XB-2

Korg SP-200

It's a bit of a pain to adjust initially, and is not very flexible once set, but overall, it's a pretty good choice for 3 tier.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Thank you! I saw you mention that in that very long thread from a while back. If my back could handle standing at a typical all night gig, I'd drag out my original Apex. I have an extra tri-bar clamp and tri-bars.

I still may be able to add something to my AX90 that would work. Just looking at all options.

Thanks again!

David

I used a Quik-Lok 3 tier for a while, and went to the Standtastic because with the Quik-Lok, the top tier was so far away that I could barely reach it. I was able to get them set much closer with the Standtastic.

At the time I was using, Top to bottom

Korg N364

Hammond XB-2

Korg SP-200

It's a bit of a pain to adjust initially, and is not very flexible once set, but overall, it's a pretty good choice for 3 tier.

Thank you!

David

It's not as easy to break down as an X type stand, but the way everything folds up with some pins and screw knobs, it isn't that bad. Plus it goes into a bag that is about the size of a speaker stand bag, where a multi tier X stand is still pretty big.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I would add a third tier to the Quiklok Z726

http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/6/001/233/952/DV019_Jpg_Regular_450087.jpg

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I use an Ultimate Apex with a super clamp and longer tri-bars on the bottom tier.

I had to special order the super clamp and long bars and took several weeks.

I like it though.

I'm also at sitting height. The damper pedal on my sp250 has a notch to attach to its own stand but it sits perfectly on the leg of the apex, which both keeps it from moving and puts it a bit further back then most pedals can be with an apex ( which really isn't made for sitting.) I mention the pedals because I think it is an issue when sitting with the apex. Sadly Im not sure of other pedals that work. I ordered a second one but I don't think they are being made anymore.

Anyway I am really happy with the set up.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

David,

I have a 2 tier and a 3 tier in my project studio. Good stands. You are welcome to stop by a take a look some time......

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

David,

I have a 2 tier and a 3 tier in my project studio. Good stands. You are welcome to stop by a take a look some time......

Thank you!! I'll pm you if/when I get to that point.

I'm currently working on a non-destructive and easily reversible way to add another level to my Ax 90.

As an aside for those curious. On the Big AX 90, the outer shell is not the load bearing part. There's a solid steel rod the length of the unit right down the center. I found this when I took mind apart to see how to cobble up a mic attachment like they have for the ax48. They never produced it for the ax90.

David

So what's the purpose of the outer shell? One thing that always turned me off about it is that it seems much bulkier than the older one.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The outer shell does hold some weight, but the bulk is supported by the steel rod.

The shell covers the legs when retracted and the arms when placed in th top.

I guess what I was trying to say is that one can modify the stand without hurting structural integrity.

David

The outer shell does hold some weight, but the bulk is supported by the steel rod.

The shell covers the legs when retracted and the arms when placed in th top.

I guess what I was trying to say is that one can modify the stand without hurting structural integrity.

Got it, that makes sense.

Basically, to me, if I don't need the adjustability of the standtastic, I'll take an apex any day (I'm currently using my old apex). I used a standtastic when my top tier was a Fusion that had an odd shaped bottom and needed to be tilted just right. Once I switched to the Kronos, the standtastic went into storage.

Dan

I bought the Standtastic when I was thinking about going to a 3 board rig. Since I mainly do country music now, the 2 tier works great. Essentially piano and organ. I am using an old Ultimate support 2 tier stand that works well.

My apex stand does not allow the top keyboard to tilt down and that bugs me....

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I forget whether the 3-tier Standtastik is the 2-tier plus an extender or a separate stand, but I never got around to setting my 2-tier up (I bought it 2-½ years ago and have been working and gigging -- the latter on bass -- almost non-stop since then), so may be offering it for sale soon (possibly also the Apex Ultimate, as I'm thinking of going to sturdier stands that are strictly for the home/studio).

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

That's a huge reason why I got excited when the AX 90 came out and bought one.

I could stand or sit and fully adjust my boards.

I still have my original Apex, bought new in '87. It was my first keyboard related paint project. It's been red, yellow, camouflage, and currently blue with black stripes. Lol.

As discussed in another thread, I love my Ax90. As does the crowd.

I plan on finding a clamp and two arms to add the 3rd level to it.

Until I can, I need to improvise. Luckily the very top board will be my M50 which weighs nothing.

Between my px350, krome 61, and m50-61, my total key weight is only 55lbs .

Yeah, I've pretty much talked myself out of buying a new stand. ;)

David

For me, my mono/poly is on the top tier. The back of it sits on top of the the central pillar, the front on the tri-bars so I can get a tilt.

I've also been known to tape things to the clamp, to elevate the back of a keyboard.

The only issue I've had is my Apex is very old, and the rubber is long gone from the tri-bars. I run a strip of hockey tape (I am Canadian after all! ;) ) to keep it from being too slippery, but currently on the top tribars, I have rubber rings from the bars from one of my Deltex stands because the mono/poly is at a fairly extreme angle. If I weren't sitting the angle would be less and I would need them.

I don't think the Deltex is made anymore...it was the cheaper cousin of the Apex. Lighter materials, and it doesn't all collapse into the central pillar. It is what is actually holding up my keys in my avatar, as I didn't have the third clamp and tri-bars when I took that pic..

http://www.sonicftp.com/news/images/ultimatesupport_deltex.jpg

I have two deltex stands and the apex stand. Honestly the only reason I went with the Apex is my korg damper pedal sits on its legs and not on the deltex.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

Just a quick throwback:

My original Apex bought new in 1987.

Here it is in red, about 7 years ago:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/red1_zps509a8635.jpg

It's current livery applied 4 years ago:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/blue2_zps533cbd80.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/blue3_zpsd1379ff7.jpg

Not bad for 27 years old. No carrying bag. Tossed around on stages, trucks, etc... The only piece I had to replace was the original style floppy handle. Ultimate sent me the new style handle for free about 5 years ago when I called asking to buy one.

One thing for those who might have an old one: the new super clamps and the old super clamps (like on mine) fit directly on both the original Apex and the new Ax48. Same with the tri-bars. Old and new are the same with the same "lockout" pin so you can't mount an 18" bar into the 13" bar clamp.

Ok back to subject. I have a lead on a clamp and bars for my AX90. Hopefully I can get them and add the third tier to my missile launcher.

ps. that's my 10ft x 6 ft Ogauge train table in the background. Too many $$$$hobbies ;)

David

For me, my mono/poly is on the top tier. The back of it sits on top of the the central pillar, the front on the tri-bars so I can get a tilt.

I've also been known to tape things to the clamp, to elevate the back of a keyboard.

The only issue I've had is my Apex is very old, and the rubber is long gone from the tri-bars. I run a strip of hockey tape (I am Canadian after all! ;) ) to keep it from being too slippery, but currently on the top tribars, I have rubber rings from the bars from one of my Deltex stands because the mono/poly is at a fairly extreme angle. If I weren't sitting the angle would be less and I would need them.

I don't think the Deltex is made anymore...it was the cheaper cousin of the Apex. Lighter materials, and it doesn't all collapse into the central pillar. It is what is actually holding up my keys in my avatar, as I didn't have the third clamp and tri-bars when I took that pic..

http://www.sonicftp.com/news/images/ultimatesupport_deltex.jpg

I have two deltex stands and the apex stand. Honestly the only reason I went with the Apex is my korg damper pedal sits on its legs and not on the deltex.

Haven't thought about building up the back block. I guess that with a little Velcro would do the trick. The SK-1 (top) keyboard is very light weight and would worry about it slipping off. The Velcro would keep both the block attached as well as the keyboard.

http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/6/001/233/952/DV019_Jpg_Regular_450087.jpg

I would be interested to do this, any suggestions as to how?

Easy - order the Quiklok QLX1 add-on tier or the On Stage Universal Add On Tier

R

Alan

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I would be interested to do this, any suggestions as to how?

Easy - order the Quiklok QLX1 add-on tier or the On Stage Universal Add On Tier

R

Alan

Thanks, I will look at both.

• 3 months later...

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT!!!!!

After 5 yrs of use, one of the support arms on the bottom tier of my On-Stage 2-tier Z-stand decided to rip off after last night's rehearsal. I've been thinking about replacing it with something quicker to set up/tear down for a while. After a bit of web-surfing, I came across a Standtastic 102 KSB 60" dbl-tiered stand. I'm looking to pull the trigger on this. Thoughts?? Anyone?? Bueller??

Kronos 88 Platinum, Casio PX-5S, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT!!!!!

After 5 yrs of use, one of the support arms on the bottom tier of my On-Stage 2-tier Z-stand decided to rip off after last night's rehearsal. I've been thinking about replacing it with something quicker to set up/tear down for a while. After a bit of web-surfing, I came across a Standtastic 102 KSB 60" dbl-tiered stand. I'm looking to pull the trigger on this. Thoughts?? Anyone?? Bueller??

Hey Tuck -

I saw Noah (Noazark) using one last winter. I know he was happy with it then. It held a Yamaha S90EX and a Nord Electro on top and seemed rock solid. Maybe he will be able to chime in here at some point. Just throwing this out there as you seem in a hurry.

:nopity:

I've been using the shorter version for a few years now. If you sit and play, I wouldn't see a need for the 60" version. I sit up pretty high on my stool and the top tier is still a couple inches under the top of the upright.

Pros- sturdy, plenty of foot room, adjustable width doesn't affect the height like an X stand. Folds up and goes into a bag for easy transport- the bag is about the size of a speaker stand bag.

Cons- deeper front to back footprint on stage- about 3'. Takes some time to do the initial setup to adjust the height of each tier (but once that is done you never have to touch it again- off set pro/con). Kind of heavy.

It does take a little longer to set up at the gig than an X stand. Not sure about the Z's- if you break a Z all the way down then it probably takes longer than the Standtastic. What I do is this- spread it out side to side and tighten down 2 wheels to set the width. Then spread it out front to back and slide the 2 side braces into a bolt/wingnut combo and tighten the 2 wing nuts down (these braces Velcro to the rear upright for transport and do not have to be removed. Then you swing the keyboard tiers up and slide in a pin (like used on a speaker stand) to set the angle of the tiers. There are 4 of them. So, you have 8 things to tighten down or connect. It takes maybe a minute to do all of this. I periodically tighten down the other fasteners for the X braces at the rear of the stand and the bottom of the cross braces, but not much, every few gigs or so and it takes seconds to do.

I built a mic stand attachment for mine that slides into the top of the upright and has a boom attachment on it.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT!!!!!

I have the same Onstage stand, love it except for the awkward carry...I always left mine assembled though. I got a great deal on two Standtastic deals (two + another mixer stand for $45 total) but unfortunately they were the 48" version. Just a tad two short for me to play standing.

Besides the height, it wasn't a slam dunk over the Onstage and I went back to it and sold one of the Standtastics.

The Standtastic looked better, it broke down into a small thin bag, and had more space under it. The more space is both a blessing and a curse depending on the stage...I don't have much in the way of pedals.

The Onstage is way quicker to set up, but again I leave mine assembled; all I have to do is unfold the legs and adjust the top tier. Also, I have a very handy onstage mic stand adapter (saving me a boom stand) that doesn't work with the Standtastic. I also switch between standing and sitting depending on stage space and the Onstage is very simple to adjust height.

They both seem very sturdy, and being tall it can be difficult to find a stand. The 60" Standtastic would certainly have been tall enough.

Archived