Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Here's maybe my biggest pet peeve so far on my MOXF

richforman

....the fact that to use the two assignable knobs, you have to press that button over to the left of the four knobs, TWICE, (to cycle the active light among those three vertically stacked lights indicating which mode the knobs are in); or to get the knobs to control Attack or Release times, once; that wouldn't be so bad except each of those button pushes takes way too long to move the light, and then THAT wouldn't be so bad if there were a way to save, along with a performance or master or voice, which of those modes the knobs were in when you called up that performance. These three factors in combination make it a bit of a pain and compromise the "real time performance control" credentials of the instrument. I also am bummed that you can't change the ADR times for a patch within a performance to offset the settings stored in the voice itself, that is a really useful feature I use all the time on my FantomX. I mentioned that one in another thread but noone chimed in to commiserate (or even better, point out that I'm wrong and it can be done!), so dammit I'm sayin' it again!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
THAT wouldn't be so bad if there were a way to save, along with a performance or master or voice, which of those modes the knobs were in when you called up that performance.

I agree... a saved Performance should include saving the default assignments for the knobs. I'm actually surprised they don't, I guess I never tried it!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Rich,

As much as I loved my MOX8, I had the exact experience as you just mentioned with the knobs.

The MOX is a fantastic board. I gigged with it for a couple/few years. (I'm old...short term memory sucks :) ).

The more you use the board, the more you'll learn it's quirks, just like every board has, and how to work around them for your particular situation.

The only reason a ventured away from the MOX was I found using it as a slave/sound module to be controlled by another was very unintuitive in setup. I'm a player, not a programmer, dammit LOL.

Still, I think you'll really like your MOX as you gain more experience with it.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Oh yeah overall I love it and am really glad to have bought it, more excited every day as I get a little deeper into learning the functionality and loading additional sounds on. But like you said, with any instrument, the more you get into it, the more you'll also discover its own unique quirks and shortcomings.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

One last thing...

As you get comfortable programming master mode, it will become your default for gigging. One button press and all my other boards or modules were set for the next song.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

That basically happened to me the last two nights....started learning and using Master mode and that light-bulb absolutely came on. Will be creating sets of Masters for all my various gig scenarios.

Rich Forman

THAT wouldn't be so bad if there were a way to save, along with a performance or master or voice, which of those modes the knobs were in when you called up that performance.

I agree... a saved Performance should include saving the default assignments for the knobs. I'm actually surprised they don't, I guess I never tried it!

Agree as well - it is about my biggest issue with it! When asked about, all you get is "blank stares" from Yamaha!

Mind you it has been this way since the first Motif, so I guess it is never going to change. The Motif series has always been primarily about music production rather than ease of live performance , imo.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I'm not in front of my board atm, but, IIRC you can save a performance with the current assigned knob and voice/part settings. For instance, I like to have the chorus knob immediately available when using EP's. I saved the programs using EP's with the light on the lower knobs pointing to the Chorus and Reverb knobs. You can save that as well as the voice/part to which the Chorus (and reverb) knobs will apply.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

I'm pretty sure I have perfs saved on my S70XS with the settings I want access to ready to go as well. I'd have to look to be sure.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

aL, that is good news obviously if you're right. If you remember and you can find it, can you post again explaining where in the Performance you set that, or just direct me to the relelvant passage in the reference manual? Thanks. ('Course then I'll still wish that there were *always* active knobs available for cutoff, resonance, attack, release, portamento time, and assignables, but I realize I'd need a much more expensive keyboard for that!)

Rich Forman

Rich,

IIRC, all you have to do is make sure that the knobs you want active are lit up at the time you save your performance. Also, if you want them to affect one of the four parts, you have to have that part active at the time you save your performance as well.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Wow, thanks, sounds like that info can be helpful to a few of my fellow owners here too who also hadn't realized that. Will try it as soon as I get home! Wonder if it works for when saving a Voice too?

Rich Forman

IIRC, all you have to do is make sure that the knobs you want active are lit up at the time you save your performance. Also, if you want them to affect one of the four parts, you have to have that part active at the time you save your performance as well.

You know, as I think about it, I do seem to remember setting performances up this way on a MOX, I think you're right. I think I had done it so that the "volume" knob in a performance would affect the volume of my "part 2" voice by default when I invoked that Performance. I haven't needed to do something like that in a while (and the MOXF gives you another way to do that kind of thing), but I think I did get it to work the way you describe.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Rich,

Sorry you're frustrated with some aspects of your new board. I understand. I have a couple thoughts that may help you.

In 'Song' mode I know that any edits to a voice are saved as a 'Mixing'. (I'm not sure if this includes knob assignments.) I know voice edits in your 'Mixing' can be extremely radical, well beyond subtle changes to ADR.

I'm thinking you could put your performance components into the first four tracks of a song and do your voice edits there.

Just an idea.

Greg

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

What I am talking about is the actual performance settings IE Part mutes on/off, Pattern Section, Solo....these cannot be saved to a performance.

So let's say you need parts 2+4 muted when the Perf is loaded, this is not possible to save and one needs to remember to press the mute/Pattern/Section button, the trun the two parts off before starting to play, not difficult I know, but it is annoying.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I also am bummed that you can't change the ADR times for a patch within a performance to offset the settings stored in the voice itself, that is a really useful feature I use all the time on my FantomX. I mentioned that one in another thread but noone chimed in to commiserate (or even better, point out that I'm wrong and it can be done!), so dammit I'm sayin' it again!

Try this:

- Select your Performance

- Hit EDIT

- Select the part you want on the Part Select numbered buttons.

- Hit the F4 [TONE} button

- Hit the SF3 [FEG] button for the filter envelope or the SF4 [AEG] for the amplitude envelope

- Edit away

Nord Stage 3 88, Korg Kronos 2 61, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S1, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Thanks Sam!! Missed that!!! This forum is just the best, can't beleive all the helpful information I have gotten, it has enhanced the use I'm getting out of my new axe tremendously in the last couple weeks.

Rich Forman

Thanks Sam!! Missed that!!! This forum is just the best, can't beleive all the helpful information I have gotten, it has enhanced the use I'm getting out of my new axe tremendously in the last couple weeks.

No problem. I sold my MOX6 to my brother recently and I've been in training mode :)

The Motif line is definitely a double-edged sword (as you will see re-iterated in many forum threads)....not the most friendly but very useful sound set and very flexible in terms of control. I've used Master Mode in conjunction with Song Mode almost exclusively for the last 10 years. Always with just two boards with one of them being a Yamaha (S90ES, MOX and MOXF) MIDI'd to/from the other board (currenlty Nord Stage 2). I find that Master mode let's me do all the splits/layering I need. On about half of my set, I play one sound on each board. But on the other half, I typically have at least a couple splits on both keyboards and many times they are both playing some mixture of internal and external sounds. Haven't messed with modules for over a decade; it's nice to have that flexibility with only two keyboards midi'ed to each other. (I hate long setups)

So the MOX is great for getting one-button access to preset complicated setups. Not great for on the fly adjustments (but I have the Nord for that).

Nord Stage 3 88, Korg Kronos 2 61, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S1, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Archived