Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I've never seen anything like him... (Keith Jarrett)

Sundown

Curious to hear him do Fever.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I might agree with this, it was the dickish way he did it at Umbria. It seemed to take the organizers by surprise as well. Perhaps if he asked them to take care of it, and the audience continued to do it, the outburst would have been more justified.

It seems like over the past few years, he has toned it down a bit. Perhaps this is due to his latest relationship, his illness, or both. Either way, it's probably better for him, and definitely for his audiences.

Well, when I see this vid, at a first glance, I also agree with your standpoint,- but we don´t have enough background info about that event and contracts etc. to know what made Jarett so upset he started insulting the audience.

Assuming you´re familiar w/ the pro concert touring scene like me, you might know it´s far away from being a paradise for artists and/or backing musicians as well.

There´s more or less always trouble in background.

Local concert promoters, managers, artists and bands have very different demands.

I´ve really seen more annoying scenarios,- p.ex. Elton John insulting the audience, the tech crew and the concert promoters in the public on stage of a "Rock over Germany" open air event just only because his fu##in´ teleprompter, mounted into the grand piano, failed and he couldn´t read his lyrics etc. anymore.

Frank Zappa leaved the stage w/ the band in the middle of a concert here just only because ONE person in the audience shouted "s##t" while FZ performed his guitar solo. Well ...the rest of the audience was about to lynch that guy then, but he survived and became one of the most famous music producers here,- :laugh: .

So, there are much more eccentric guys out there than Jarret, who for sure is a very sensitive human being.

Now assuming one of his contract conditions was "no cameras,- photo or video,- during show",... it´s up to the local promoter to accomplish that.

And don´t forget,- selling rights on own picture and the performance (audio) was a source of income for every artist performing live in the past.

I myself made a lot of extra money when artists I worked with decided for live recordings and film, releasing a DVD or doing radio/TV w/ that material then.

In pro music world it´s not o.k. almost everything is now for free.

Until Y2K or some years longer, photo & video cameras as well as any recording equipment was forbidden in every concert I visited or performed myself.

The security controlled at the entrance.

What to expect from artists coming from these times and had their career peak in the 70s/80s ?

A.C.

Are you saying Elton J. uses a "teleprompter" on stage?? , I don't believe it.

I've seen K.J around for years on Y.T , but never on T.V. , I would be interested to see him live , - to see if he goes up like a box of matches :-D.

I think people are forgetting , most (private citizen )recordings at concerts are absolute crap - both visually and aurally. I always chase the artists DVD's and CD's regardless.

Brett

Saw him once ... that was enough. There are way to many artists out there who aren't complete and total douche nozzles that I'd much rather pay to see. Him being a gifted artist isn't the issue - it's the way he treats people. I wouldn't p!ss on him if his hair was on fire.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

EXCERPT:

"Clearly Jarrett's tolerance to distractions is lower than many other musicians, but here we have an artist standing up and saying to the world that hes not going to compromise or pander to anyone for the sake of money. How many of us would love to be in a position where we can do that? The fact that we may not have the resources or the courage to walk off the bandstand whenever we feel our music is being compromised doesnt mean that we should hate it when Jarrett does. If anything, we should be glad that there is a musician out there who is prepared to challenge the belief that money can automatically subjugate and dictate art.

Next time you tell yourself youre being professional when you put up with a load of crap at a gig, ask yourself if thats really anything to be proud of. The reality is that if you believed in your music as much as Keith Jarrett believes in his, then you would behave in exactly the same way - even if it would require the distractions to be a bit more intrusive before you drew the line.

Chances are the fact that you wont get up and walk off the bandstand has more to do with the fact you dont really believe that your music warrants the full respect and attention of an audience than your belief an inherent worthiness or nobility in professionalism. Deep down, you dont really believe that your art has enough value to allow you to dictate the circumstances .

Calling yourself a professional is simply your way of letting them screw your art for money and still allow yourself to look in the mirror the next day.

Undeniably, Keith Jarrett can be a bit of a drama queen about it sometimes, but perhaps if we started to believe in ourselves and our music as strongly as he does, the way live music is created and received in this world would be very, very different. I wish more of us were like him, not fewer: I wish I had the courage to be more like him."

FULL ESSAY

http://playjazz.blog.co.uk/2011/01/24/why-you-should-be-as-unprofessional-as-keith-jarrett-10425332/

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Some "geniuses or prodigies" are certainly known for their quirks and he is one of them.

Exactly.

Thankfully, while KJ may be antisocial, as far as we know, he is not a drug addict or alcoholic. IOW, he could be a lot worse.

There is no excuse for his behavor but folks can protest his actions with their wallets and stop patronizing him. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived