Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for solo minimalism/contemporary pieces

MAJUSCULE

Hey folks.

I'm looking for a solo piece in the minimalism/contemporary classical kind of style for my fourth-term piano jury. As a point of reference, I'm a piano performance major in a jazz & contemporary pop B.Mus program. This will be my term exam and the last performance jury before I go on to my junior recital next year. It should be 2-5 minutes long and either have a solo section or be reasonably open to me arranging one.

I look forward to any ideas you guys have! Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, that is very nice, but I'm looking for something a little more technically involved. More along these lines:

I'll be preparing this with a friend shortly:

[video:youtube]

I play this one every now and again and quite enjoy it:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBZAJIE97KQ

Poulenc's well-known Trois Mouvements Perpétuels is a favorite.

William Gillock's Fountain In The Rain, is a good recital piece (one of my student's is performing this next week).

"I am" by jazz pianist Manami Morita is cool solo piece.

Kapustin's Jazz Prelude #24 played by Marius Nordal, quite a workout and a great composition.

Some of Mompou's piano music have long been "miniature" favorites of mine.The Gitano section (18:29) in particular is one I've played for close to 35 years and I still love it as much as the first time I heard it. The first three more ballad sections are beautiful as well.

Also Cancion y Danza #7 is perhaps my favorite Mompou melody. It's a little more advanced with the LH jumps and octave chords. The Stephen Hough recoding is my favorite. This page gives you a little more then iTunes.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/w/56118/Federico-Mompou-Canción-y-Danza-1-3-5-7-8-9

Maybe a few of Chick's "Children Songs". #s 2,3, 4, 5,8 ,10,13,14 & 17 have been used by a few of my students for recital purposes. One young woman played a select few and then went into the melody and a chorus of blowing on "Crystal silence". Another did the same and played the melody and a chorus on "Windows". They made for a cool performance..

I'd also submit for consideration, my piano composition based on Giant Steps that I've posted here before. "Staggering Along". It's just under 90 seconds here.

TJ Martley, who occasionally comes on here, did a youtube on it:

Performance could be something like the original head of GS played straight with nice trad Evans type voicings-maybe even as a ballad- and then a chorus or two blowing at ballad or quicker tempo, then segueing into SA or vice a versa.

Love the Poulenc's Trois Mouvements Perpétuels moj. Will have to learn those myself.

Archived