Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar amp help, please?

wraub

So, I have an amp on loan from a relative, an older Peavey Audition Chorus. 10w, 2 6 inch speakers. Dist. and chorus built in, sounds pretty good, nice bedroom amp when I play guitar. My guitar has a really hot PU, allegedly somewhere around 16k.

Now I have a blown speaker. Just destroyed.

Questions: This being borrowed, I plan on a replacement speaker. But...

Would it be better to replace them both?

Where can I find 6 inch speaker(s) that can handle high output PUs? Pretty sure they can't be that common, and I am on a budget here. (that's why I have a borrowed amp.)

Have looked on Amazon and Monoprice, Parts Express...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't forget to Feel Free to Ask Myles...I think you were just unlucky enough to have borrowed an older amp and the speaker finally decided to go south on your watch. I would just replace the speaker(s) with the same specs as the originals and hope they don't cost much (as opposed to trying to find one for your hot pickup) before returning the amp...
Take care, Larryz

It might be obvious, but you can roll-back your guitar's volume-knob a smidge; and some great tones probably live there, too! I CONSTANTLY adjust my guitar's volume-controls.

Weber's Signature Series includes a 6" Alnico Signature 6 and a 6" Ceramic Signature 6...

Weber Speakers

It's very likely that pairing one Alnico and one Ceramic would sound great! Though a pair of either would also be good, a pair of the Ceramic 6's having more and tighter low-end and overall volume and punch. (Good news is that as speakers go, these are pretty cheap- Weber currently lists 'em at $35 each.)

Jensen has the ceramic Mod 6-15; there are a lot of sound-sample clips available there. And these are currently showing up for pretty low prices, too!

Eminence makes a 6" hemp-cone speaker, the Patriot-Series 620H.

There are also these Celestion TF0615MR 6" speakers; very heavy-duty, 50 watt rating and a closed frame design; but they're more of a PA speaker, may or may not sound good in a guitar amp, and are a bit of an overkill...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Larryz-that's my thinking as well. Just it's time, I figure.

I know that hot PU means nothing to a properly used volume knob, but it really wasn't turned up that high.

Thanks Senor O'Shite for that massive assist! Definitely some food for thought there. Could even mix cone types. ;)

Mixing magnets hadn't even occurred to me...

So, replace both speakers? Seems prudent at least.

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Mixing magnets hadn't even occurred to me...

In 2x12's and 4x12's, pairing ceramic Celestion G12H 30's with Celestion Alnico Blues or Golds (or similar Celestion/Brit-type ceramic "H" and alnico speakers from other makers) has become more and more popular, even being offered from some amp makers. Oomph and strong lows and growl from the H's, with chime, harmonic-swirl, and compression when pushed hard from the alnicos.

So, replace both speakers? Seems prudent at least.

You'll get the most noticeable improvement if you upgrade both at the same time, and the old one can be kept around as a spare...

Whatever you get, they'll take a while to break in; they might sound a bit stiff and strident at first, warming and sweetening after a while.

Oh, and double check what the impedance for each speaker should be- probably either 8 ohm or 4 ohm- and try to go with that or higher; that is, if the amp is supposed to see a 4 ohm load per each speaker, go with a 4 or 8 ohm speakers; if it's supposed to be 8 ohms, go with 8 or 16 ohm speakers.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived