Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SOC synths

ChewisLewis

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But I can't figure out synths by ear - that's why I posted this thread.

You do realize that replicating the SOC sound will not happen, simply when you get the same gear correct? So what's the purpose of your question? Are you simply curious?

I can't.

Moog filters have different characteristics than a Curtis filters. An Arp I thought had it's own thing especially when you made it self oscillate.

But heck just listening to song recordings I can't tell unless I subconsciouly think I can because I know the band.

Prophet 08 can sound really MiniMoog like.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Just for giggles. I can hear differences but throw this into a song mix I won't especially you if you use some EQ and take a little edge off the Prophet..............

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

They seem a fairly approachable band - you could message them and ask?

https://www.facebook.com/thesoundofcities

+1, Nick beat me to it...would be my first thought.

There are probably some brown star KB players who want to be all QT about their synths, but most regular blokes would be delighted that anyone wants more detail on their hard work. Give it a shot and ask straight to the horse's mouth.

Just for giggles. I can hear differences but throw this into a song mix I won't especially you if you use some EQ and take a little edge off the Prophet..............

Exactly. The song the OP posted has a ton of delay, high pass filtering and compression which seems to have been done in the production process (In the box ... to multiple tracks at a time). It really doesn't matter whether they started with a Juno or a Virus at that point.

Knowing the production/synthesis techniques is what is key.

Archived