Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any experience with Alto Professional Truesonic TS series?

Dr88s

I love the vr09 grandV whats wrong with using that ?

I don't really like it, but then again I have only ever heard it through my Roland KC, which may be the reason for that. Come to think of it, I have never played the VR 09 through headphones...

You must have a flat hi fi playback to ref or your lost ..get ye some sony senn or other ref headphones to start with

I will take my PX5S with me to demo.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My suggestion is to not audition with CDs, but with your Casio!

I'd do both Bill. If it were you or CEB, of course the Casio is the right thing. You dig deep into your equipment.

However the good Dr states candidly that he hasn't had the time to get to know his equipment and he's not sure what to listen for. If someone judges a speaker based on a full range mix they already know and love, at least they will avoid most of the problems of trying to correct for biases in a relatively unfamiliar sound source. Besides that, anyone who has been playing piano sounds through a KC is gonna love every speaker in the store. (which may not be a bad thing, come to think of it. :whistle:)

Last time I auditioned speakers, my rig was Mojo and Nord Stage. I called a GC that had both sets of speakers I was interested in, and also a Stage. I hauled my Mojo 3 hours to this store, who let me set up their Stage and my organ in the PA room with these 2 sets of speakers.

I also took my favorite 2 CDs for auditioning - Nightfly and Trick of the Tail. Nightfly demonstrates the crisp detail of the mids and highs, and Trick demonstrates the room shaking lows of Taurus pedals.

I spent several hours going back and forth with both instruments and the canned music to make the best decision I could.

Moe

---

I also took my favorite 2 CDs for auditioning - Nightfly and Trick of the Tail. Nightfly demonstrates the crisp detail of the mids and highs, and Trick demonstrates the room shaking lows of Taurus pedals.

Once on the topic of Genesis, I might bring along Selling England By The Pound. Firth of Fifth alone could showcase both the Piano freqs and the Taurus lows...

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Besides that, anyone who has been playing piano sounds through a KC is gonna love every speaker in the store. (which may not be a bad thing, come to think of it. :whistle:)

The only piano program I ever liked through the KC was my beloved Alesis QS8 (the default power-on patch) with the mod wheel all the way up, which I believed EQed it tons towards the mid-highs.

I first thought about the Altos...10" and 12" but as an old time EV snob, I went with a pair of EV ZLX12p. $665 new for the pair. Could not be more happy with the sound of these speakers...APs sound great through them, along with everything else.

Paul

All that performance for >$350 !!!

we live in good times for gear. Let me remind us all a mackie 450 or jbl eon15 p were about 700 and the EV 360 was $1200

Now if only I could find more gigs to justify all this affordable gear :(

I first thought about the Altos...10" and 12" but as an old time EV snob, I went with a pair of EV ZLX12p. $665 new for the pair. Could not be more happy with the sound of these speakers...APs sound great through them, along with everything else.

Paul

What he said! I have a single EV ZLX15 ( I am not sure about the "p") in the model name ) I also have QSC 10's and JBLeons Get the EV ZLX!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Our drummer picked up a pair of these recently. He seems to be very happy with them and they didn't break his budget. So far he has reported no issues with them.

The same guy as my brother! So it's not 2 separate "no problems" anecdotes, Dave and I were reporting on the same person. :)

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I think back when some of us wrote reviews for the magazine for the series on powered speakers, Tony did a nice review on one of the Alto models. I THINK it was the 15 but it could have been the 12 I suppose.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I think back when the some of us we wrote reviews for the magazine for the series on powered speakers, Tony did a nice review on one of the Alto models. I THINK it was the 15 but it could have been the 12 I suppose.

It was the 15.

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/powered-speakers-that-make-great-keyboard-amps/151416

Read this last week; thanks for the reminder though.

I don't know any of your names off forum - is Tony Orant a regular?

Any thought to going in-ears? I did and it's the best decision I've made in a long time...not only can I hear myself way better, the overall stage volume is way down and my ears have stopped ringing.

I'm terrified to use in-ears. I'm afraid some power spike or cord jiggling could cause a pop and permanently send me to tinnitusville.

Besides, if you read my original post, I would also use this for amplification during band practices as I have been shooed away from the PA. In ears don't fit the bill for that particular use.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm terrified to use in-ears. I'm afraid some power spike or cord jiggling could cause a pop and permanently send me to tinnitusville.
That's what limiters are for. All good in-ear systems have them.
is Tony Orant a regular?
tonysounds.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The only piano program I ever liked through the KC was my beloved Alesis QS8 (the default power-on patch) with the mod wheel all the way up, which I believed EQed it tons towards the mid-highs.

Now I understand. I've still got my QS8 because it's hardly worth anything now yet it's a pretty nice keyboard, I gigged with it for 3-4 years. The one thing I didn't like is the basic grand patch is tinkly in the high treble and I was all the time trying to eq that treble down a little because I was using a nice Barbetta amp which is a full range PA cabinet. A bass heavy amp like your Roland probably does sound decent with that Alesis piano.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Any thought to going in-ears? I did and it's the best decision I've made in a long time...not only can I hear myself way better, the overall stage volume is way down and my ears have stopped ringing.

Besides, if you read my original post, I would also use this for amplification during band practices as I have been shooed away from the PA. In ears don't fit the bill for that particular use.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Gotcha, yeah for band practice I use my cheap powered monitor(s). It's weird that now I hear so much better at gigs than I do at practice! :)

As someone said, if you get the bodypack that comes with in-ears there's a limiter built-in. It is a concern though; I run wired so I could do without the bodypack but I wanted the limiter.

Ironically I have hearing loss and I'm sure many loud practices and gigs were mostly to blame. Now my gig volume is about half of what it was; I've taken my buds out (once when I tried to extend one battery a few gigs too many!) and stage volume about took my head off, especially the high-end from the cymbals.

If I had it to all over again, I'd probably end up where I am (though without a few twists and turns). A cheap-ish powered speaker for practices and small jam gigs/benefits and a set of in-ears.

Here's an update for those interested.

I demoed the Alto TS112s today. They were certainly loud enough but on several of the tracks I played off my iphone (didn't have my boards with me today) the bass totally overwhelmed and the pianos got buried.

They didn't have the EV ZLX-12 in stock but based on the recommendations of the good folks here I put down a deposit for a special order. If I don't like the demo I can always apply the deposit to something else.

Archived