Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard stand opinion 2 tier

Aussie_Chicago

I know this has been covered, just want some opinions . I need a 2 tier stand , bottom board will be a MOXF8, top tier will be Hammond Sk2. Ive been using the Hammond exclusively, but have the Mox now and want to incorporate that into the gig. Ive been using the cheapo on stage folding table top stand, that's ok, a bit wobbly, and a bit heavy, but cant add a 2nd tier.

The KM 18950 looks good, and a 2nd tier can be added, but it is on the heavy side too, also looking at the km 18880 with 18881 2nd tier, looks to be pretty sturdy, light, easy to break down and transport, but I see the accordion type brace is on the front supports underneath. Anyone use this stand and find that gets in the way, or is it back far enough ? I don't use bass pedals, but do want some room underneath for 2 volume pedals, damper, and speakeasy 147 pre amp box. Any alternatives to the KM ? Not really into the cross brace design , prefer a table top design.....

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would recommend considering the K&M Spider Pro, for gigging it has been the best 2-tier stand I've used. (Actually I don't use it for all my gigs. The main deciding factor is time-cruciality and also the distance between load-in area and the stage. If it is a long haul and time is short, so that I definitely want or need to be able to bring my whole rig in on my roller cart in one trip, or it is really tight squeeze on a small stage, then I will bring in my simple folded-up QuickLok 2-tier x-stand, which fits much more easily onto the cart and is slightly quicker to set up. However, if I can afford the slight extra time to bring in the stand separately from the cart (or if the load-in distance isn't even long enough to justify using the cart), the Spider Pro is well worth the extra effort, especially if it is a big show on a big stage where I will have some visibility and some room on stage - it strikes a very cool impressive look and stage and is much more professional- and cleaner/more-elegant-looking than an x-stand. (And better designed, and more stable too with built-in cable management.) And don't get me wrong, it is still very quick to set up - part of the difference is that you have to carry it in a bag which you have to take it out of first.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Here is the 18950 set as wide as the C2, Sp 4-7 on top http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3791/10053468416_932305a560.jpg

From the side

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3698/11934867826_bdb531b77a.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2885/11934390343_3cfc76c5fa.jpg

18880 from side O1W on top

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2890/11934918036_46436f2bd5.jpg

Not sure if I would put the SK2 on top of the 18880. The 18880 will go wider, the bass pedals are Mojo Pedals, 57 cm wide. The 2nd tier on the 18950 will adjust back and forth a bit, and on both stands up and down and for angle. I have them up high to access the panel on the C2, and often play the upper tier standing

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

The 18880 is a nice stand! But the Spider isn't, IMHO... it's quite wobbly if you have heavy keyboards like your Motif on it. Also, the rubber stops that hold the tiers straight in playing position seem to wear down, leaving you with keyboards that are leaning slightly to one side, instead of being horizontal... no sir, I don't like it!

Just so you know - I have a 2-tier 18880, a 2-tier 18950, a Baby spider with optional 2nd tier, a 3 tier standtastic, and a couple of single and double braced X-stands. The 18950 is my absolute favorite, which i use in my live rig with the beast Korg M3-88. The 18950 is quite heavy though... The 18880 I use mostly for rehearsals and jam sessions - it's great and lightweight. The Standtastic stays in my home studio, and the Baby Spider I use as a 3rd tier behind the 18950.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Thanks for the pics and advice, exactly what I wanted to see. Now Im not sure if I want the sk2 on top or on the bottom. The problem whichever way I go is to be able to access the panels and drawbars of either keyboard, I find Im changing the drawbars on a regular basis throughout a lot of the songs, so that is more critical for access. I play seated, and don't use bass pedals. I would prefer the 88 mox to be the bottom board, and don't have the space to do an L setup.Hmmmm , Im thinking the 18880 for weight and width, as long a its able to be adjusted back and forth...

When I got the Sk2, I was committed to a bunch of gigs, so I figured Ill get something that can do everything in 1 board, but as time went on, I find myself not digging the extra sounds too much, hence a weighted 88 with good piano / Rhodes sounds. Maybe I might have to go the mox / xk1c or sk1 route, but it will be hard to justify another board to the wife !

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

An 88 key MOX and an SK2? That's a hell of a distance, front to back, leaving room to play with the draw bars.

I think you may struggle. One solution may be to check in the "stand construction" thread, one member here, Moe maybe? Made himself an amazing sliding stand, for a Mojo and a PX-5s. Maybe you could do something similar.

Best of luck,

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

You DEFINITELY want the Quiklok 726:

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o430/alanjpearson/Facebook/iOS%20Photos/1382898_10200716969195299_749273480_n.jpg

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Archived