Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finally got to hear myself play "live"

J. Dan

So I finally after almost 2 years went to see my old band play. I had stayed away initially so as not to make my replacement nervous, then after a while just kind of lost interest.

Anyway, so this gal I started seeing loves seeing my old band and wanted to go see them, so I buckled and went. It actually was kind of fun, especially hanging out on break.

So when I left, the new guy was struggling getting up to speed and so I recorded my sequences as well as the parts I play on those songs on separate tracks. Well apparently they're still using those...including the parts I played. It was kind of funny during one keyboard solo, I'm like...that sounds too close to me for him to be playing that (even though he was acting like he was playing it). I glanced at the guitar player and he smiled and pointed to me, like "yep, that's you, good job".

So the funny thing is that most of the night, I figured there were sound issues in that a lot of the keys parts weren't up in the mix or didn't sound right. But magically, the ones that were tracks of me sounded great! Made me happy to know that when I was in the band,MIT sounded as good as I thought it did.

If you're thinking I'm trashing the new keyboard player, I'm not. He's a solid player. But he's not quite as skilled in sound programming and sequencing and comes from the "close enough" camp. Some of the other keyboard players they auditioned would have been good at that stuff, but weren't cutting it vocally. I sang a lot and this guy's a good singer with good stage presence. They made the right decision because good all around vocals and stage presence set bands apart.

I am still a little surprised he hasn't replaced my tracks by now, but hey, he's getting paid.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You should hit him up for a slice of the pay. :thu:

He came to the house and paid me to teach him some stuff on his Kronos. Not getting any residuals, but he DID float me some cash to spend some time with him.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Why do they need a keyboard player then? Sounds pike they're okay with using sequenced parts.why not sequence some more and let the guy just sing?

I don't want to give the wrong idea. Out of 45 songs, maybe 10-12 had my tracks. He played the rest, he could have played more, but it is what it is.

Dan

That's gotta be a trip, Dan. Especially once you realized that you were hearing yourself! :laugh:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hmmm.. Not sure how I feel about that. If they paid you for those tracks,.. that's one thing but,.. to still be using them after 2 years (even solo's!) might be taking advantage a bit regardless if it is somewhat flattering.

Almost every band I have departed,.. I have been asked to sequence my parts for them.. though I have to take the blame a bit. It was usually my suggestion that they sequence the keys parts after they moaned and guilt tripped me about how hard it is to find another keyboard player.. and extremely difficult to find a keys player that can sing (regardless of how much notice I gave,. and I always have given months of notice). I have only done it for one band (which I was compensated) but they eventually did find another keys player (who didn't need my back tracks).

It's kind of a strange thing when you think about it. If a drummer left your band,.. it's not too often you would ask him to supply his tracks for the show. lol Why is that?

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

It doesn't bother me, more power to them. I made a lot of money off that band over the years. I was the one stepping away, and they rely on that income, so if it helps, fine with me.

I was thinking about it, and I'm guessing that they don't have the separate tracks of my sequences and my playing any more. I had recorded them at the drummer's house, and not long after, they parted on bad terms. So they probably just have mixed keyboard tracks recorded at gigs. Only way to separate would be for him to do a new sequence.

Dan

Archived