Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If you get called to do a Little Feat tribute gig...

Josh Paxton

...don't wait till the day before to start learning the tunes. That is my professional advice. It came off well, and it was actually the most fun I've had on a gig in a while. But man, cramming all those ridiculously complex tunes at the last minute was a bitch. I have newfound respect and disdain for Lowell George. But I got to get my Billy Payne on at a great venue, for an appreciative crowd, so I'm happy.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good on you! Little Feat is possibly my favorite band, and I'd live to play their songs live.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Not to name drop, but I'll be playing Little Feat tunes with Paul Barrere tonight. 😃

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Feat tunes sound deceptively simple, until you try to play them. Then you realize all the little stops and figures that the entire band plays together.

The very first night I ever played my first Feat tune live (Dixie Chicken), Paul Barrere was in the bar. Talk about pressure!

If I were ever to play in a tribute, that would be the top of my list.

Moe

---

Feat tunes sound deceptively simple, until you try to play them. Then you realize all the little stops and figures that the entire band plays together.

So very true. Spot on.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

I wish I could have heard you play it. Playing Bill Payne, one of my favs, must have been a challenge. We play Will'in and I always liked his work on that, but Dixie Chicken sounds like it's more challenging. There is a concert on Utube, maybe "Rockpalast"?, that has some great footage.
Nord electro 3 73, Casio Px-5s, Yamaha SY-85, A&H ZED FX mixer, 2 QSC K8.2s

In the early 90's I played in a Little Feat cover band for about 2 years. It was alot of fun and quite challenging to play the music. We had a pretty decent following and because of the niche of music very little competition in that arena. That band was where I realized I had to pick up my game because the musicianship was above average all the way around, especially from the 'stage show' point of view.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Man...where do I sign? That would be a blast! From their classic stuff to their modern it would be fun to play and as mate said..challenging too. I love the way Little Feat evolved and it would be a fun gig. Aside from that..I don't know what kind of ride your hooked with but trib bands get serious $$$. Have fun & if you take the gig post some footage if possible. :thu:
"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

I wish I could have heard you play it. Playing Bill Payne, one of my favs, must have been a challenge. We play Will'in and I always liked his work on that, but Dixie Chicken sounds like it's more challenging. There is a concert on Utube, maybe "Rockpalast"?, that has some great footage.

Here it is, enjoy the next hour or so. [video:youtube]

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Here it is, enjoy the next hour or so. [video:youtube]

So what is the board between the Hammond and the Oberheim in Bill's setup? Just curious. Doesn't look familiar. I also notice 4 more Oberheim Expander Modules off to the left of the Hammond.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Played Willin', Dixie Chicken, Spanish Moon, Down on the Farm, and The Weight with

Mr. Barrere on lead vox and guitar last night, (and Seth Justman on 2nd keys). He played guitar on a bunch of other non-Feat related tunes as well. Still really, really loves to play though the Feat are not touring much at the present.

a splendid time was had by all!!!

Congrats Beethree! The guys I did it with all agree that we wanna do it again--not just because it was fun, but also because it seems like a waste to learn all those ridiculous tunes and then only play 'em once. The gig was at Tipitina's, but hopefully we'll get to do a replay over festival season somewhere.

They are such a good live band. He played a C-3 chop when I first saw him. Last time I saw Billy he had a Triton Extreme Pro and XK-3. He gave me tickets to his show back in 1993 I remember and was telling me to listen to Art Neville, Professor Longhair and Dr. John. Like Moe said the stuff is deceptive. Also Billy plays things different everytime he plays. Hes unreal. I remember seeing him with James Taylor and all of James songs sounded great with him playing.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Cat Fever and Fat Man in the Bath Tub are a lot of fun.

I love doing Feat because I get to sing all of Sam's parts.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived