Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MOXF Premium Collection owners experience

richforman

(For more technical help I will post more to Motifator, but just for fellow users' experience I will post here.) So if like me you got the Premium Collection promotion with your new MOXF, I was wondering how many/which of the included new waveform libraries were you able to load onto the included 512MB flash board? I won't get to do this til tonight but from reading the docs, I get the feeling that the Chick Corea Rhodes samples will take up most of the space and I might not be able to do any of the others! Would love to at least get that one and the CP1 Piano Collection on board, and of course to explore the other included libraries. Seems kind of cruel of them to give you all this stuff in the promo and not let you be able to use it, or not all at once! I guess a 1GB flash board might be needed instead - but again, then, seems less than ideal for them to have made a big deal out of giving you all this content for free packaged with only the smaller flash board.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My solution was to install the CP1 collection on the flash board first. If you go thru the CP1 presets you will notice that some of the CP1 waveforms are never used. Delete the waveforms that are not used and you will have enough memory to install the Chick Corea samples. Hope this helps.

Rich, I found a deal on the 1 gig card after shopping around and installed it before my Premium Collection Arrived.

I have the CP1, Corea, and expcerpts from the Inspiration in a Flash Libraries Installed. I have 300 meg free.

If you can swing it , I recommend the larger card, there's lots good stuff on the Inspiration Libraries

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Thanks guys. Have absolutely no idea what to expect to see price-wise when I shop for the bigger flash card, haven't looked into them at all, hope it's not too shocking!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

I got the same deal also, and have to say im a bit disheartened by the whole thing. Seems like most of the literature is for the Motif, so of course I downloaded the corea samples to the flash, and they went to user bank 4, which the moxf dosnt have a user bank 4, so now I cant even get access the the samples unless I start all over again. Even reading the owners manual, its confusing and frustrating, I havnt even began to start editing or sequencing yet. I do like the onboard sounds and the action, but the rest of it........Ill really have to decide wether to keep the corea Rhodes or not, if I can get to them.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

It could be a lot worse Rich. I looked at the MOXF before Christmas, and in the UK, IIRC it costs £129 ($185) for the Chick Corea samples, the free promotion only applies to the US of A, so we don't even get a chance not to have enough space to load them up!

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

"Don't even get a chance not to have enough space," lol. I feel for you SSM! Okay Aussie_Chi, I can help by passing along the info I've picked up today (over at motifator.com, have been very glad in just a day that I followed the advice here to sign up over there for Motif-specific info, already an excellent and very helpful resource). I think this is covered in the User Manual, but as you pointed out it's not the clearest document. Anyway you can specify the source and destination bank when loading in voices from the saved files, so you should be able to load the Rhodes voices into another User bank of your choosing other than the non-existent bank 4. Meanwhile, although of course things can always be worse, and as much as I love my new keyboard, I am currently really aggravated about the Premium Collection promo, that they give you all these great extra sounds, but only a flash board big enough to hold a few of them. Frustrating. I am thinking about loading up my flash board with the Rhodes and CP1 waveforms, buying myself a 1GB bard, then reselling the 512 at a very reasonable price with the added value of having those extra sounds pre-loaded, thinking that would be attractive to anyone (like maybe someone in the UK I guess!) who wasn't able to get in on the Premium Collection promo.

Rich Forman

Thanks SSM, actually they're mostly going for 299 and there's one fellow on amazon I think offering one for $275. That's a lot to me after just buying the new keyboard, a case for it, the Melas software et al!, but if my scheme of being able to resell the 512 board worked, that would certainly help defray it.

Rich Forman

$299 seems a great price to me, £250 equates to around $365, so you are getting a bargain.

Mind you, things always were cheaper over there, I spent two weeks in Colorado/Wyoming/Montana last September, and couldn't believe how cheap everything was. The official exchange rate was £1 = $1.48, but prices seemed about 30% to 35% cheaper.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I found mine for 275 at a new york super store....

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

> If you go thru the CP1 presets you will notice that some

> of the CP1 waveforms are never used. Delete the waveforms that

> are not used

...hey Mr. Magic, so how do you do this again? I have the CP1 waveforms installed onto the flash board, and the voices that use them. So damned if I can see, how you look at all your istalled waveforms, determine whether they or being used in voices, and delete them? Can't find this in the User Manual or Reference Manual so far. I seem to remember reading that there is a list of waveforms that actually indicates visually whether or not they are in use, but I don't know how to get to it. Thanks!!!

Rich Forman

Following along with this one too, have to say, I usually can figure stuff out on keyboards with time and experimenting, not so on this board. If anyone can give us newbies a step by step as to loading some of the CP1 sounds, and then the chic corea sounds, would appreciate it. Once Ive done it a cpl of times, I should be set in the future.It took enough time to figure out I couldn't update the software update with the usb that sweetwater provided, it has other files on it so wouldn't do the update, had to use a new usb stik and download the update myself, it worked fine then ! I might go that route too of getting a bigger flash board, depends on how much I like the corea samples, I got this board as my bottom board for mostly AP / EP and strings / brass,maybe some recording with Cubase..... don't really care about movie type sounds and techno stuff .

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

Aussie, I have gotten as far as loading the sounds, it's easy, copy the .x3a filefrom the dvd to your usb stick, insert that into the keyboard's "To Device" USB port, then press File, pick the file type "All" and pick that same x3a file now from the list on the right of the screen, click "Exec" and it will load all the samples/waveforms permanently onto your flash board, and the voices that are come with the set, into in this case User Bank 2. As has been noted, first back everything up by gong File/Save and again doing All (you will name your own output file, see the owners manual for how to name things). When loading from an All type file (.x3 or .x6a), you can also specify what type of Load you want to perform, so that instead of loading everything in the file, you can load all the voices, any one bank of voices, or any individual voice, same with performances or whatever other types of data are in the file, and also specify what locations these will go into when loaded. This is all actually fairly intuitive once you get into the Load screen. Just remember to push SF1 Exec to kick off the operation when you are ready.

Rich Forman

Its the location of where they go which Im having trouble with, granted, I just opened a bottle of 2002 zinfandel and will turn the moxf off for the night now ! specifically, the chik corea voices load into user bank4, which dosnt exist on the moxf, how do you designate where the voices go ? And also, can I listen to the voices / samples before burning onto the flash ? I know that I wont want all the cp1 sounds, and probably not all the chik sounds either, but I do understand the waveform / sample thing v's voices etc, the flash only stores sample / waveform and the voices utilize the specific waveform to make a sound .

Aussie. When you're on the screen in the Load function where you select the file name to load from the usb stick, if you specify for instance "1 bank" as the type of load operation you want to perform, then hit Enter, it will take you to another screen that lets you choose the destination user bank. I may be mistaken but I think this was not an option on the Motif XF, but it is on hours.

Rich Forman

Mr. Magic, never mind, I figured out how to get to the list of waveforms to delete (actualy got pointed the way over on the other forum). Thanks!

Rich Forman

I read this thread, and it's just so disappointing. I'd like to upgrade my MOX6 to an MOXF6 at some point, but I have ZERO patience for techno-hassles.

Roland did something similar, releasing a huge additional bunch of sounds for the new Jupiters, but there's not enough memory in the boards to load all of them.

$299+ for a one GB flash board? Why are these things so expensive? Obviously I don't understand the difference between Yamaha's flash board and flash memory cards, where 32GB can be had for $20.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

I think its not so much techno issues, as more of the learning curve for this stuff should be easier and more straight forward, hate to say it but I wish the interface was written more like turbo tax.....' what do you want to do next,where would you like these voices to go " etc etc....( im gonna get slammed for this one...lol ) Overall, this is a killer board for the price , I think most issues guys are having is the fact that Yamaha included the corea sounds that basically take up most of the flash board. However as pointed out earlier, we are still lucky to get the extras for free, other countries didn't even get the option of a free flash or the premium collection sounds...

Im going to work on the board today and see whee I get, I still havnt even figured out the Sk2 fully yet !

Archived