Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stage presence

Bob Gollihur

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is a link to a youtube video of Sade's Smooth Operator with Paul S. Denman on bass. I like Paul's presence here (and Sade looks terrific!).

That was a great band. I don't think she would have had the same kind of success with other players.

Paul's stage movements have everything to do with the music and what he is playing and they never overshadow Ms. Adu.

o.t. She's 54 now. Where did the time go?

When you are in front of an audience you are performing, that is different than merely playing.

The job of a musician in performance is to entertain people this implies not only an auditory but also a visual aspect.

People listen to a recording, they go to see a band. I think this distinction is even more critical to us as musicians now than it ever was. This due to the fact that we are competing against so many other forms of avilable entertainment and compounded by the fact that in general people are much more conditioned to visual stimulation than ever before.

Whether you are a cover band playing at the local bar or a professional act, unless you are in a situation in which your job is to be musical wallpaper, you better give serious consideration to the visual aspect of your performance.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I don't believe that the seeing a live band or listening to a recording is a true distinction. You do not have to be visually stimulated by a group of musicians. What is visually entertaining about a symphony orchestra? They all look pretty much the same.....a bunch of musicians sitting at music stands with their instruments. Yet people are entertained and consider the act of an orchestra playing a particular piece of music live as a performance.

Some people manage to entertain by just going out a playing very well. I have been moved by a combination of musicianship, quality audio and the musician's general attitude about what is going on.

If you think of a band as a single entity it has a personality, it has a mood and it has a state of mind. In this context, the power has to come from within just like it must with a person. No amount of external activity will make up for a lack of power coming from within while no extraneous activity is necessary for inherent power to move people.

Context matters.

Jumping around like crack-smoking monkeys may (or may not) be appropiate in a rock performance but never in an orchestral one, no matter how much Beethoven's 5th moves one.

However, I just went to see a performance of the local symphony a few weeks ago and there was quite a bit of personal expression amoungst the musicians and certainly by the conductor and various soloists featured.

Again, within context.

Do you think that the musicians all wear tuxedos or that the conductor and soloists use such flamboyant movements in rehearsal? Of course not, such things are not required to play the music with the required proficency.They are visual elements of performance.

Every time this subject comes up I am always amazed by how much resistance there is to the notion that a live performance is a visual as well as aural event.

I am NOT suggesting that musical profiency should take a backseat to theatrics, quite the contrary, in a musical performance musical competance and integrity is the starting point. Everything else procedes from there.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Every time this subject comes up I am always amazed by how much resistance there is to the notion that a live performance is a visual as well as aural event.

YES! This is so true.... I never understood the resistance, but I have seen much of it.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

True that. Yet, some people simply "have" stage presence. John Lawton (of Uriah Heep fame) never moved around a lot. His predecessor and some of the later Heep singers all had a lot more motion to their game. Yet John is a "presence". He captivates the stage just by standing there and singing. Kind of like John Entwistle used to do with The Who. Sometimes not moving is movement enough :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I tend to think of it this way.... Once you are nailing it musically, all things being equal, by comparison, the band that has more going on visually will always have the better result. This can be look, activity, production (lighting, video, etc)....so long as all these things enhance the show, not become a distraction from it. The best shows are ones where the energy level is high, but everything meshes to where no one element jumps out at you. So if you're paying attention to how much the bass player is jumping around, it's a distraction. I think it helps when the entire band shows a similar level of enthusiasm. If the whole band is high energy and one guy is not, that guy's going to stand out as looking bored or stiff, even though place onstage with a more tame band, he may look just fine.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

If the whole band is high energy and one guy is not, that guy's going to stand out as looking bored or stiff, even though place onstage with a more tame band, he may look just fine.

I still remember the day that I saw a video of one of my bands. Everyone except me had a certain level of energy they brought to the gig. Even our seated keyboard player moved more than I did. I looked like my shoes were nailed to the stage. Since then, I've stepped it up and now at least look like I'm enjoying myself as much as the rest of the band. It's not my nature to bounce around, but a little movement goes a long way as long as it doesn't look forced.

...I am always amazed by how much resistance there is to the notion that a live performance is a visual as well as aural event.

I get what you mean however I suspect that you may observe a common reaction because of the way the idea is typically presented, not so much because a tendency to rebel against the idea is commonly shared. You might as well say, "I am always amazed by how much resistance there is to the notion that I am right." "Resistance" may not be the appropriate word because it suggests you believe your point of view is absolute and those who do not agree with you are resisting what is correct.

When you are in front of an audience you are performing, that is different than merely playing.

The job of a musician in performance is to entertain people this implies not only an auditory but also a visual aspect.

People listen to a recording, they go to see a band....

Without regard to context you said a musician is obligated to put on a visual show as a consequence of playing in front of an audience. This is neither required nor an automatic consequence of merely playing music in front of an audience.

There are two concepts behind the word perform. One suggests to carry out a task the other is to present a form of entertainment to an audience. A musician playing an instrument in front of people can do one, the other or both simultaneously. Granted if the musician is not doing a sound check or practicing chances are they are performing a song if there is an audience and they are targeting that audience. However, the act of presenting live music to an audience does not necessarily involve intentionally entertaining by offering a visual element.

That said, I believe you are much better off focusing on relaxing while playing well. An unpretentious musician playing well has a better chance at entertaining people than someone attempting to enhance their musicianship with varying degrees of activity and theatrics in an effort to look entertaining.

Good points Phloid.

A visual show isn't always required when the audience came specifically for the musicianship. But for most genres, the artist has to at least show some emotion or act like they care. You don't have to jump around or be overly animated, but if you act like you're bored you will never engage the crowd.

Being unpretentious and playing well will go a long way...just make sure you look like you're enjoying yourself. ;)

If the whole band is high energy and one guy is not, that guy's going to stand out as looking bored or stiff...

Like John Entwistle? In his case, I think he actually provided a nice visual counterpoint to Daltrey, Moon and Townshend, who were pretty much going nuts on stage.

To your larger point though, whatever you do on stage, make sure it's engaging and authentic.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

To your larger point though, whatever you do on stage, make sure it's engaging and authentic.

"Authentic" is the key word, in performing and in life. People can see through a phony pretty quickly.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

"Authentic" is the key word, in performing and in life. People can see through a phony pretty quickly.

It needs to LOOK authentic, and you need to try to MAKE it authentic, but for me anyway, the level of motion and energy you need to do onstage for it to even be noticable in a large room with a big crowd is not something that is natural. You have to step outside of your comfort zone and ham it up to some extent. After a while, you get used to it and it starts to feel more natural.

It's always a good idea to watch yourself on video because you almost never look the way you think you do.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Some people dance to their favorite song. Some sing along.

Some just want to sit and listen. Nothing wrong with that. If it's a live show they're curious to see a virtuoso create art. To watch a master at work, if you will. And you can't do that with nonsensical theatrics getting in the way, now can you?

BB King fits the mold. He sits, sings his head off and plays the heck out of his guitar. But even he is not a motionless, expressionless statue of discipline like our school band directors taught us to be, is he?

Interestingly, another favorite for the listening crowd is Jimi. His on-stage antics get a pass, though, because of his virtuosity.

One of the most hated rock bands for listeners is Kiss. Makeup? Costumes? Pyrotechnics? Doesn't everybody see that these are merely devices to distract us from the plain fact they they are playing pop drivel?

But you know what? One man's drivel is another man's party anthem. And there is something special about a room full of drunken revelers all dancing and singing along to "Rock and Roll All Nite". And they're not going to do that if the band on stage sits rigidly in their chairs, concentrating solely on making art.

Different strokes for different folks.

It needs to LOOK authentic, and you need to try to MAKE it authentic, but for me anyway, the level of motion and energy you need to do onstage for it to even be noticable in a large room with a big crowd is not something that is natural.

Crud -- link didn't work

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Archived