Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I was going to sell mine, but WTF?????

Winston Psmith

I'd been thinking of selling or trading my PRS SE 25th Anniversary Custom 24, so I went to look online, see what the market will bear. Funny thing, I paid $600 for mine in 2010, didn't know it had appreciated in value so much . . . I could buy a new U.S.-made PRS and have some money left over.

Amazon listing for PRS SE CU24

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something not right here. Maybe a typo.

I went onto Ebay to get a rough idea of what these are going for.

There were eight listed. Most expensive $3999.00 least expensive $1999.00.

But $7484.51 ??? Somebody IS smoking something at Amazon!

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Hey Winston,

Unbelievable! Pls. see my comment (in the form of a review) for a chuckle.

Regards.

Nice one, Fred. And by the way, folks, I have an Epiphone Les Paul I'm selling for $10,000 on Amazon. Or $400 on Craigslist. Also willing to trade for a new Corvette.

Scott Fraser

Scott, I'm with you! Hell, I'll sell my PRS SE CU24 for $5000, or a vintage Ford Thunderbird.

@SEH Picker - those prices are for the U.S.-made PRS models, or should be. The "SE" models are Korean-made, and sell for well under $1000, new. My SE Custom 24 (same model, same color as the one in the Amazon ad) was $600, the more recent models sell for around $700. Here's a link to the SE at Sweetwater.

PRS SE at Sweetwater

I might have thought 'typo' as well, if the price had been $7400, but that $7484.51 seems deliberate - plus $14.49 shipping, of course.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I've encountered this kind of thing in real life... there's gun and antique shops that know nothing about music gear and goof on comparing it and way overprice it. A friend of mine walked into a pawn shop he's on great terms with (he flips tons of stuff and they give him first crack at stuff) and there was a brand new Aria Pro PE-whatever they told him he could "steal" for $2000. He told him it was worth $400, they argued he was wrong... he tried to explain a few of the late 70s models that were custom made in the M. factory in Japan were coveted but still wouldn't actually bring in that much, but they insisted someone had appraised it and he was WRONG! SO he asked what else they had and they told him "a beat up Fender tele re-issue" and pulled out an old case and an actual vintage '72 thin line tele with the wide-range hum buckers. He played it nonchalant and bought it for $250. Kept it a couple of months and sold it for $2500.

He also got a Mark Sampson-era Matchless amp for cheap recently from another pawn shop who thought it was a Chinese-made Bad Cat for some reason... I guess that was the closest they could find on eBay and Musician's Friend to compare it with...

I've encountered this kind of thing in real life... there's gun and antique shops that know nothing about music gear and goof on comparing it and way overprice it. A friend of mine walked into a pawn shop he's on great terms with (he flips tons of stuff and they give him first crack at stuff) and there was a brand new Aria Pro PE-whatever they told him he could "steal" for $2000. He told him it was worth $400, they argued he was wrong... he tried to explain a few of the late 70s models that were custom made in the M. factory in Japan were coveted but still wouldn't actually bring in that much, but they insisted someone had appraised it and he was WRONG! SO he asked what else they had and they told him "a beat up Fender tele re-issue" and pulled out an old case and an actual vintage '72 thin line tele with the wide-range hum buckers. He played it nonchalant and bought it for $250. Kept it a couple of months and sold it for $2500.

My first good mic was a Neumann KM84 I got for $75 from a pawn shop, at a time when they were going for $400-$500. They had no idea what it was. Only the most coveted acoustic guitar mic on the planet.

Scott Fraser

Archived