Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MOXF help!

richforman

Okay fellow owners, I am a little stuck getting off the ground with just persisting performance data, can anyone give me a hand? Here's my story so far - on first getting the instrument, I found out that I have to first upgrade its firmware to the latest version. The instructions for doing so pointed out that this would wipe out all the User data, so I wanted to wait until I could back it all up first. The User banks for Voices I don't care much about, because they are just duplicates of voices in other banks. But the preset User Performances I didn't want to lose, even though as we have discussed recently here on the forum, they are not the most immediately useful for live performance, because I know they are still useful tools for experimenting with and learning the capabilities of the system, the arpeggiator and drum parts, etc. Anyway I want to back them up to be able to refer to and explore them later, before I wipe them or overwrite them with my own gig-oriented splits and layers. So far, I don't know how to back them up. I figured when I got the Flash Board, that would be the way. It came today and I installed it and the USB stick they generously provide to start. I go to the File menu and the Save function, hoping it will be possible to save a whole bank at once and not have to do them one at a time or anything. But it seems this function doesn't apply to saving Performance data, the only options under data type to save seem to be Voice, Arp, Song, Pattern, SMF, Waveforms - no Performance. Can I save sets of Performance data to the USB storage device? I also thought that the included MOXF6_MOXF8 editor would let me do stuff like that, but I am hitting the same wall there, reading the User Manual for that I also don't see any mention of working with Performance data, just the other types. So can anyone tip me off how/where to offload/backup/save the User bank of performances before update the firmware on the instrument, equipped with the flash board, usb stick, and a working usb connection between the synth and my computer? Thanks for your indulgence, I'll probably be feel embarrassed when the simple answer is pointed out!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just did a save ALL to the USB stick for my firmware update, but I don't believe it's necessary. I believe the update will set the unit back to the way it came from the factory. They are saying to backup the stuff just in case you have created your own voices/performances/masters and saved them in a "User" bank. That any of those would get reverted back to factory defaults upon updating the firmware. Someone please jump in here in case I'm way off. I'm at work now and can't check the unit.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage4, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Thanks very much for the response Vonnor. If you can remember to double check when you get home and update here confirming that's that what happened, I'll be very appreciative!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

.....solves the immediate problem but I still get the feeling (and this seems odd) that the 256 performance locations are IT for this model, you might not be able to easily save them externally? That is really rough and might have made me reconsider the purchase!

(I figured, dumb of me to just assume this I guess!, that there would be a system analogous to the pci slot on my Fantom X; wherein I save Performance set ups and samples to a 2gb smart card, which I then just take with me on the road to fly-away gigs, along with my expansion cards and pci-to-smart-card adapter, where my rider specifies that they rent for me the same board, and I'm good to go.....or even ignoring fly-away gigs which are just occassional, I just have different smartcards containing the collections of perfs/samples I need for different bands/gigs and just swap them in and out of the pci adapter as needed). Hope someone will chime in and tell me I'm missing something major, and I won't even object if it comes with a sarcastic thumbs-up at the end!

Rich Forman

Rich,

Rest easy friend. You can save/load 'Performances' to a USB drive. I copied this from page 60 of the owners manual.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest that you register on Motifator.com. Badmister normally provides quick, concise answers to questions posted there.

Greg

Saving/Loading Data (File Mode)

The File mode provides tools for transferring data (such as

Voice, Performance, Song, and Pattern) between the

MOXF6/MOXF8 and external USB flash memory device

connected to the USB [TO DEVICE] terminal. To enter the

File mode, press the [FILE] button.

This section explains how to save/load all the data on the

user memory of this instrument as an All file.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Thanks Greg....although (have you done this?) I'm still confused about the fact that when I did go into File and then Save, it did not list Performances as an available data type, just the other ones (maybe "All" includes them but you can't do them on their own?) I will recheck the manual, thanks again for the response. And great idea, I'll register over there.

Rich Forman

Thanks Greg....although (have you done this?) I'm still confused about the fact that when I did go into File and then Save, it did not list Performances as an available data type, just the other ones (maybe "All" includes them but you can't do them on their own?)

Correct, you cannot save Performances on their own, they are included in a Save All.

However, you can load Performances on their own, out of that saved "All" file.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The MOX and MOXF display and file saving/loading structure is quite similar (if not the same) as on my Motif ES.

This is one of Yamaha's "gifts" to their users. There's a lot of engineer logic in their instruments, but not always as much user logic.

I suspect that the reason performances have to be saved as an 'ALL' file is that performances are composed of 'Voices' and possibly 'Arps'. By forcing the performance to be saved as an 'ALL' file, you automatically get the 'Voices' and 'Arps' at the same time.

Greg

Thanks to both of you fellas, you've been very helpful. I think I will have a lot more questions as I keep going, in the areas of using the software editors, the additional sample libraries, Cubase, and a few other areas, I will probably use that Motifator forum as a first resource for a lot of them since it is very specialized. The toughest challenge is always to find time to explore and learn the deeper features of the instrument when the first time-priority is always learning and preparing songs and parts for upcoming gigs!

Rich Forman

Thanks to both of you fellas, you've been very helpful. I think I will have a lot more questions as I keep going, in the areas of using the software editors, the additional sample libraries, Cubase, and a few other areas, I will probably use that Motifator forum as a first resource for a lot of them since it is very specialized. The toughest challenge is always to find time to explore and learn the deeper features of the instrument when the first time-priority is always learning and preparing songs and parts for upcoming gigs!

Rich,

Glad to help. I would definitely make Motifator the first choice for all thing Motif. It's a pretty active site (but not nearly as much as several years ago). Badmister (Yamaha employee and keyboard clinician Phil Clendenin) is a Motif genius, superb musician and all-around nice guy. He must nearly live on that forum as he posts there with regularity.

Also get the pdf version of the MOXF manual. It is very convenient to search electronically rather than through the paper manual.

You have a great board. Now you just need to learn the Yamaha way.

Greg

Rich,

If you really want good control over all aspects of your sound, performance, master, etc.. libraries, I strongly suggest you invest in the John Melas total librarian software. It was an invaluable tool when I had my MOX8.

You can mix and match all manner of setups. I saved setups to my computer via USB cable for different venues.

Also, changing the order of masters and/or performances for upcoming gigs is a breeze. Drag and drop, basically.

I believe he has it for both MAC and PC formats. I used the MAC format.

note: I do not work for nor am I otherwise compensated by John Melas. I'm just a huge fan of the programs he has for Motif's, MOX's, etc..

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Thanks David, I was thinking of getting that, probably much better than the Yamaha provided editor/librarian. Only thing is I had downloaded the trial version and it says "Not connected" although my moxf IS connected to the computer so I had been kind of stuck there, will get back to that in the next few days. Thanks very much for the recommendation. Yamaha gave me a 10% discount code for the Melas with their Premium Collection too.

Rich Forman

probably much better than the Yamaha provided editor/librarian. Only thing is I had downloaded the trial version and it says "Not connected" although my moxf IS connected to the computer so I had been kind of stuck there, will get back to that in the next few days. .

Did you check under utility/midi/other that midi is set to USB??

after that try the autoconnect setting on the software

I cant say enough about the Melas software suite, it makes life wonderful.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Oh, one more thing , make sure you loaded the device driver for the MOX on your computer and it is recognized.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

I'm pretty sure it is because other apps, including Yamaha's included ed/lib and Cubase, seem to recognize the connection. That's why the message in Melas was really bugging me.

Rich Forman

Also make sure you use Yamaha 1 (in and out) for communication as Yamaha drivers use 2,3 and 4 for other tasks. Best thing with Melas software is t use "Autoconnect"

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Yes I purchased the whole suite ("Complete Package") and it is now connecting after I went into the Midi setup. Thanks miden. One really weird annoying thing I've discovered (nothing to do with the Melas software), and it's probably my computer's fault, whenever I have the MOXF connected to the computer, YouTube videos won't play on my computer, they just get stuck and do nothing. Unplug the USB and then it plays, plug it back in and it stops playing. Anyone else observe this? For now I'm just living with it in the bigger-fish-to-fry category.

Rich Forman

Yes I purchased the whole suite ("Complete Package") and it is now connecting after I went into the Midi setup. Thanks miden. One really weird annoying thing I've discovered (nothing to do with the Melas software), and it's probably my computer's fault, whenever I have the MOXF connected to the computer, YouTube videos won't play on my computer, they just get stuck and do nothing. Unplug the USB and then it plays, plug it back in and it stops playing. Anyone else observe this? For now I'm just living with it in the bigger-fish-to-fry category.

What OS are you using W8? If so go to

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices > highlight (or click on) your default device and select Properties > Advanced and untick ALLOW APPLICATIONS TO TAKE EXCLUSIVE CONTROL OF THIS DEVICE

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Archived