Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

If you're talking about earning a living from photography, no way, I'm not even close.

If it's just simply making money, yeah, I sell prints, do occasional odd jobs, such as product/commercial photography, portraits, that kind of thing. And I've also unfortunately done two weddings as well, not my favorite thing. And I win money or items each year from winning photography contests, and since I have to declare that on my taxes, that absolutely also counts as earnings.

Unless it's a family member who asks, I don't hand out my original or full-res TIFFs of my photos. Those are my photos. No one gets my full-res TIFF files unless they pay for the rights to use it. If they want a print, I upload the file to my photo store website and they can order prints from there; if they want a low-res web-ready photo, they can have that.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For this last shot of the night, I brought on the freak.

I went really over the top with the light painting, highlighting the red cross and star and tires. I had fun doing this, letting it all fly. I actually was laughing a bit through part of the light painting. I like the demented haunted feel that this photo has. This is the old M*A*S*H site, where the TV show was filmed.

Title: Haunted Ambulance

Photography: Ken Lee

Info: Nikon D7000, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens, Feisol tripod. 391 second exposure.

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/MASH-malibucreekstatepark-2013-12/images/5346kenlee_mashtvshowmalibu-hauntedambulance-391sf8iso200-343am-flat2.jpg

Thanks, Mike!

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/india2013-himalayas/images/partone-begtodahhanu/8603kenlee_india-shantistupa30sf28iso200-2-700px.jpg

That's an appealing photo, and it doesn't have to be fancy or processed.

A lot of my stuff has very little processing, such as that last couple I posted. I'm not that into heavily processing my photos (and I'm also not that great at it! :D ). The most processing I do is "stacking" for star trails, and I think that's not even really considered heavy processing in terms of "fakery" because, well, it's not since it's just a means of capturing movement over a long exposure.

I have a lot of admiration for people who do digital composites. It's art, to be sure, and some of it looks utterly amazing and obviously takes a great deal of talent and vision and creativity. It's just not my interest.

Cool. Doesn't need it. It's great the way it looks. Gorgeous, and nice composition.

Most processing I do is contrast, sharpening, some color correction (if necessary), that kind of thing. I consider this necessary, especially since I shoot from RAW, and all RAW files can use a little massaging.

I really like the multi-colored light painting, Ken! Another technique I'd like to try out sometime.

So is anyone here making money with photography?

I'm not. I would like to set up a website where people could order prints, but I have no immediate plans in that regard.

I occasionally get requests to photograph events from people I know, but I turn them down, because it's not my idea of fun. I know a couple pro photographers, so I'll recommend one of them when people ask.

No processing here:

Nice photo. You have some interesting luminescent moss in St. Louis. Or have you been visiting Pandora?

Thanks, Mike. It's a type of blue LED fungus that only grows between Thanksgiving and Christmas....

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

BTW, Bill, your photos on Flickr are all good and sharp, nicely focused and all.

Thanks, Ken. I do get finicky with precise focus which gets tricky when I shooting close-ups.

It does.

When it's closer, you can either stop down the camera or use "focus blending", which is essentially taking several photos while varying the focus and blending together the desirable "in-focus" parts in post-processing.I know how to do this latter one but have never actually done it, preferring to stop down instead. I try and avoid fussy processing quite often. :D

It's funny to play with focus, here's a virtual photo (computer graphics with a few textures, but mainly artificial spheres and light), made such that an averaging of a (big) number of frames made by "shuffling" the objects creates the illusion of depth of view:

http://www.theover.org/Diary/Ldi97/calforg77mc.jpg

The example is a bit famous in the cg field, but this rendering I made myself (it's part of Nvidia's Cuda).

I was experimenting with involving artificial (preferably photo-realistic) graphics with actual (digital) pictures, like the grass, but this is an interesting focusing example.

T.

It's funny to play with focus, here's a virtual photo (computer graphics with a few textures, but mainly artificial spheres and light), made such that an averaging of a (big) number of frames made by "shuffling" the objects creates the illusion of depth of view:

The example is a bit famous in the cg field, but this rendering I made myself (it's part of Nvidia's Cuda).

I was experimenting with involving artificial (preferably photo-realistic) graphics with actual (digital) pictures, like the grass, but this is an interesting focusing example.

T.

That's amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks so real!!!!!

Alright, since we have this thread, I thought I'd share some cool news....

My photo of the "Kill Bill" Church has been featured on the cover of "Location California," a publication that showcases locations for film, TV, commercials, and more!!!!!

You can flip pages in full screen mode as you would a paper magazine. However, it's probably not as good for swatting mosquitos.

I am on the cover, and my credit is on Page 6.

http://issuu.com/lionsdailynews/docs/location_california_pt/1?e=1881560/6361968

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/tronapinnacleskillbillchurch-2013july/images/2235_kenlee_killbillchurch3-mojave.jpg

I do so hate to disappoint...

Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Into the future

Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Into the future

Thanks, Ken. Flap wings, turn on camera, launch, follow, shoot. Repeat as necessary. And St. Louis Public Radio wants to use the photo on their Facebook page.

Wow, cool, that's awesome! Congrats!!!!!

Well, Fujifilm gave me a nice GAS attack today. I love the old school look and all the dials. Of course, I need another camera like I need a hole in my head :D

Nikon is also coming out with retro digital SLRs.

www.wjwcreative.com

This past Sunday's sunset was particularly striking. Here's how it looked at the Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary in West Alton, MO:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7399/12174254956_fb9dfcd73a_c.jpg

Sunset by wjw0608, on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2872/12173877603_9925a04cb2_c.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2860/12173656835_77553c1d28_c.jpg

www.wjwcreative.com