Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favourite Blues Players

Allister

So, I recently joined a local blues band with quite mature players and I am loving it! one thing that is quite weird (for me anyway) is them encouraging me to play MORE and comp less, where in the same situation (on blues songs) my university lecturers are telling me to play less!

Going to link a few vid's with piano playing that i dig, would be cool if everyone else wanted to post some of their favourite blues as I'm looking to increase my listening.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1eLguycGpg

[video:youtube]

Not sure if i would call the piano In "going down" overplaying, but is definitely something that I would be worried to do at uni.

Thanks,

Al

Yamaha MOX8, Roland VK8, LESLIE HL822 Woop woop!!!! and a MBP running PT10 and Omnisphere. My Blog.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no idea why they're suddenly not showing up.
Because your tags say video:yahoo instead of video:youtube. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

BB King esp older-

Jimi Hendrix

John Coltrane from Coltrane Plays the Blues "Blues for Elvin"

Ronnie Cuber with Mingus "Moanin"

Jimmy Smith from the documentary 1965

Gene Harris

Grover Washington I knew him, he blew my mind

Marcus Miller

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Last but so far from least that it does a few laps around first. ;) my fave bluesman on keys.

A big +1 :thu:

Otis Spann was definitely the man.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I have no idea why they're suddenly not showing up.
Because your tags say video:yahoo instead of video:youtube. :)

Crap. And I did that six times in a row too.

one thing that is quite weird (for me anyway) is them encouraging me to play MORE and comp less,

Yeah, that's definitely not my approach to playing Blues either. Funny you put a Bonamasa vid in your post. The tracks I played with him were possibly the busiest I've ever played on a Blues record. :o The producer insisted! I get that a lot of Blues piano is high register and busy as hell, but I prefer to hang out "down in the groove" :cool:

Dorothy Moore's "He Still Thinks I Care" is way more my thing.

If you can, check out Victor Wainright. He has a really nice balance of taste and chops.

The Danny Gatton & Joey D. record suggested above is also an educational gem. Joey gets where he always does, but he showed really tasteful development and the way he builds his solos (to compliment the rawer style of Gatton) is a lesson worth learning.

Besides Otis Spann, who was mentioned earlier in this thread, here some links to more of my favorite "old school" blues pianists...

Pinetop Perkins:

Roosevelt Sykes (aka the Honeydripper). He was also know for boogie woogie:

Even though James Booker and Professor Longhair are better known as New Orleans R&B players, they could still play the hell out of straight-up blues...

James Booker:

Professor Longhair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNM_jCM4CGk

I should mention that Ray Charles could also lay some blues down with the best of 'em when he wasn't exploring damn near every other musical genre.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Ray Charles, Otis Spann, Pinetop Perkins, Dr. John, Professor Longhair, Leon Russell and Billy Preston - check 'em all out.

Play and listen, over and over.

I had a blast playing along with Taj Mahal's greatest hits when I was learning my way around the blues. Some of the tunes have piano, but it's down in the mix. So you don't play along with these to cop the piano riffs - do it to come up with your own.

Ellis Hall is another fav of mine - I've tried to absorb as much of this ju-ju as I possibly can.

And for the shredder side of blues, there's always the Edgar Winter and White Trash live album, Road Work. I don't always like wanky solos with too many notes... but when I do it's the sax solo at 2:20.

Without cluttering smaller browsers, here's proof there's a whole lot of favorite blues players.

This is called

The Blues - Piano Blues - C.Eastwood

Where are these kinds of magnificent jazz/rock/(funk/)blues examples on keys (I might have to work on that):

Classic slow blues with twists:

Who says younger people don't play the Blues ? This one's even a pretty girl, and she can play the blues:

Not so recent, but interesting, and most likely I was there in the audience:

For the Americans lucky enough to go there, and all the other people with lucky internet access, an interesting blues document with lots of favorites:

How about this great live performance of:

And this more contemporary version:

from 2001 .

T.

Thanks for all the great replies everyone! been working my way through it all this morning, I don't think there is anything i've disliked so far! Getting some great ideas!

Al

Yamaha MOX8, Roland VK8, LESLIE HL822 Woop woop!!!! and a MBP running PT10 and Omnisphere. My Blog.

Will give a +1000 to the Otis Spann shoutouts, and Ray Charles' prowess as a pure blues pianist, oft overshaddowed by his considerable other gifts, cannot be overstated.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

you might check out a fellow named tony z [ zamagni ] he's got a couple of cd's, one named, get down with the blues, the other named, kiss my blues. great player, super great use of draw bars, also sings very well. cd's might be a little hard to find.

you might check out a fellow named tony z [ zamagni ] he's got a couple of cd's, one named, get down with the blues, the other named, kiss my blues. great player, super great use of draw bars, also sings very well. cd's might be a little hard to find.
Yeah, I saw and met Tony Z when he was touring with Buddy Guy. Kiss My Blues is a great album.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Couldn't stay quite without adding this cat to the mix. All of us that play the blues took a page from him at one time or another. "Ladies and Gentleman...Mr. Charles Brown!!" :)

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aBUzaozzfo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

So, I recently joined a local blues band with quite mature players and I am loving it! one thing that is quite weird (for me anyway) is them encouraging me to play MORE and comp less, where in the same situation (on blues songs) my university lecturers are telling me to play less!

I learned to play the blues when I got the opportunity to play with a Blues Legend, Jimmie Rogers, when he came to Alaska.

The first set that I played, I stayed a bit in the background, trying to let him shine and not wanting to step on any toes. The first break, he came to me and told me "You play pretty good, son, but you're not playing enough."

I took that to heart, and at the end of the night he mentioned me touring with him. Too bad by this time the Whiskey was talking, and he didn't remember by the next night.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Archived