Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I bVII IV songs?

Jazz+

I'm making a rock medley starting with "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga and want to add some other hits based on the classic I bVII IV rock progression. In G, it's ||: G | F | C | G :||

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Who: Won't Get Fooled Again, I Can't Explain, New Song (from Who Are You, the chorus, maybe not so well known, but funny since the words are "I write the same old song with a few new lines"), and probably others

BTO: You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm making a rock medley starting with "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga and want to add some other hits based on the classic I bVII IV rock progression. In G, it's G F C. I have thought of the few I listed below but am looking for something other than these...

Gloria

More Than A Feeling

Taking Care Of Business

You Got It -Roy Orbison

Sympathy For The Devil

Coda vamp of Hey Jude

I'm not an expert on this subject..... But isn't the chord progression you cite in the Key of C? When the song ends, is the last chord a C? If so, I think it is just a a V-IV-I progression.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

I bVII IV is a classic rock progression...

||: G | F | C | G :||

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

OMG, how could I forget... Sweet Home Alabama! ;-)

Ya beat me by seconds!

Some others:

Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon

All Summer Long - Kid Rock

Anytime - Journey

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

I'm not an expert on this subject..... But isn't the chord progression you cite in the Key of C? When the song ends, is the last chord a C? If so, I think it is just a a V-IV-I progression.
OMG, how could I forget... Sweet Home Alabama! ;-)
Oh god please, not again! Not so soon!

:laugh:

Bingo: "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" is the exact chord progression as "Born This Way". Thanks.

||: E | D | A | E :||

"Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" + "Born This Way"[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2aBOTNGWMY

At the risk of being turned to ash, I'd like to submit that these are not "I bVII IV" songs, but instead "V-IV-I" songs. The first chord is not always the "I" chord.

Good night.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

At the risk of being turned to ash, I'd like to submit that these are not "I bVII IV" songs, but instead "V-IV-I" songs. The first chord is not always the "I" chord.

Good night.

+1

For what it's worth, the link below is to a decent analysis of why Sweet Home Alabama, which was cited earlier in this thread as an example of a "I-bVII-IV" progression, should be considered a ""V-IV-I" progression.

http://www.guitar-music-theory.com/blog/sweet-home-alabama-guitar-scales-chords-and-music-theory/

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

"Born This Way" is a I bVII IV I progression.

Bingo: Madonna's "Express Yourself"

Bob Seger's "Gamblin' Man"

"Nothin' but a Good Time" - Poison

Man there are a lot. How about "Sweet Child of Mine," "Our Lips are Sealed," "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" uses that same progression but in two different keys for the verse and the chorus. The first chord is the tonic in all those examples I would say. When playing that progression, I usually use the same trick of holding that same tonic note on top for the second chord (the bVII) to make it an add9 sound, always sounds good and adds a little spice compared to just playing triads.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Oh yeah! "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" is a perfect companion for "Born This Way" and "Sweet Child Of Mine" maybe for a mellower interlude.

Thanks

the other "born this way"... "express himself" - Madonna (not only the same chord progression, but the same song).

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

"Born This Way" and "Express Yourself" are by different composers and hold different copy-writes. I don't think they are the same, just similar.

"Born This Way" and "Express Yourself" are by different composers and hold different copy-writes. I don't think they are the same, just similar.

I understand that, but "Born this Way" is clearly a rip-off of "Express Yourself".

NSFW:

Haven't tried it, but I also think during the talking part of "Born this Way", you could throw in "Vogue".

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Actually, here's another one that's not a mashup, just matched pitch and tempo and overlayed the two songs:

Dan

If it's a rip off, then why hasn't a copy write infringement been filed? Because the melody and lyrics are sufficiently different, thus they are different songs that are similar in tonal material.

Madonna has even recently stated covering "Born This Way" in concert.

Archived