Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Physis Piano and Keyboard Controllers at NAMM

AnthonyM

Hello Everyone and Happy New Year!

I've recently received an email from the North America representative for Physis, to advise me that they will be exhibiting at NAMM this year. They will be showing their V100 Piano, K4 Keyboard Controller (expandable w/ Piano Board) and H1 piano models. I read a reference to them possibly being at NAMM this year(as a response to the Midi Controller vs. Digital Piano post last week and wanted to confirm it for those that may be interested.

It may be a very interesting NAMM Show for keyboard players this year. I'm also looking forward to what keyboard related products the major players may be debuting. I know that there are a lot of players out there wondering what's next as far as all in one synths / workstations go.

Regards,

Anthony

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The swedish prices have been available for quite some time and I can tell you they are around or even less than $2000... :thu:

No word on the price or availability of the piano board though... I guess it will be expensive though and my guess is at least $1000... THE physis engine needs massive amounts of processing power and IIRC the H1 has no less than eight high end DSP's and those aren't exactly cheap...

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

• 3 weeks later...
I did and it was like 1900 for 76 keys? and 2200 for 88 key controllers without internal sounds.

Yamaha S90XS, Studiologic VMk-161 Organ

Small/powerful (i7, 32GB, M.2 SSD) PC controlled by 10" Touch Screen

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

That cost is about what I expected. I am very interested in the 76 key model. How did they feel?
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

I did and it was like 1900 for 76 keys? and 2200 for 88 key controllers without internal sounds.

O.k.,- so you checked these out ?

Any comments on the actions, the difference of both the actions in the 88 and 76 models ?

What was your impression of build quality and how did the sliders and knobs feel ?

Did the OS and all the MIDI work and was it stable ?

A.C.

Build Quality looked good. Keybed was nice, salesman said it was Fatar.

The main problem was that sales reps were very Italian, and we were not able have a meaningful conversation. I explained to him that this keyboard could be quite popular as it provided a good quality keybed where most midi controllers were just crap.

I said this several times, but it just went over his head. He proceeded to play, very nicely, and show me some of the internal sounds. I restated that this would make a great midi controller, etc. But there was no real conversation, as it seemed everything was lost in translation.

He really wasn't a very good presenter of the product. Very nice, great piano player, but not a salesperson that knew how to ask the right questions. I just gave up trying to ask any questions.

My biggest concern is the not the product, but product support should anything go wrong. As a comparison, over at the Nord display, I was given a quick 10 minute tour of the Stage 2 and how to set everything up. He listened and gave me his card.

I have owned and love Italian products, but seeing the sales force that was sent to represent the product gave me concern that they would be out of the US market in short order.

Please keep in mind that this assessment was only based upon a 5 minute conversation, and is completely personally biased. If others know different please correct me. I just don't want to be stuck with an Italian product without and company to stand behind it.

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

Ask Carlo, if he's still around he works at Fatar

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Hello Captain,

Regarding the servicing sales of Physis Digital Pianos and Controllers, I'd like to provide the email of company representative who emailed me originally:

Gary Girouard

Director (North America)

Email: garyg@physispiano.co

As per his email regarding distribution: "there will be a small number of specialty retailers (mostly high-end piano stores) representing the products after the show. I believe there will be an announcement of an Ambassador program (Direct sales) for studios, performing musicians and education/institutions."

"Pricing and the Ambassador program details will be announced at NAMM.

Let me know any other questions or anything else I can do to help the forum."

I will email him regarding after sale support and/or repairs.

- Anthony

Anthony,

Thank you for that. People should in no way take my quick 3 minute conversation as anything other than just anecdotal.

I would like a second board to use as a MIDI controller. Hence my interest in the Physis. But I also have an old Korg O1/W, add some Korg NanoKontrollers, and maybe for free I have a workable solution. For this reason, I didn't pursue the Physis K4/5 more intently.

If I were more persistent with the sales staff, I could have given a more in depth report. They wanted to be helpful, it just would have taken more patience on my part to extract the needed info. I had the flu and was jacked up on decongestants. I had no patience.

Hi everyone - I've just registered on the forum, so I'm a newbie on this forum here. I understand there were some concerns about conversing with Italians during the NAMM show - I must have been occupied somewhere else, so my apologies I wasn't available to help answer and demonstrate the product. In any case, feel free to let me know any questions and I'll do my best to answer accurately.

Kind regards,

- Gary Girouard

Director (North America) - Physis Piano

I have been to Namm for the first time !

Althaugh I had my own booth (guitar stands) I had some spare time to check out the keyboards.

Wednesday prior to the event I had the chance to try out the K4 and had a conversation with the Itailian guy.....still dressed in casual clothing.....hahaha

To sum up a few facts :

1 The K4 uses a Fatar TP 100 action, similar to the Kurzweil Artis.

2 The K4 can control up to 8 external zones.So for my Integra7 it would come in handy.

3 The sounds reminded me of the GEM promega and the Italian guy smiled and said they had one of the main ''GEM'' technicians involved at viscount now.

4 The Wurly and Rhodes were both nice but lacked top end (same as Gem !)

5 The piano wasn't quite as nice as the Roland V-piano and sounded to artificially to my ears.

Because NAMM wasn't ''open'' yet, I had a much better position to actually listen to the K4 with internal ''piano/sound'' card.

The Physis H1 uses the top-end Fatar TP40 with wooden keys and ivory-sense key tops. It has been slightly modified by Physis to include three sensors instead of two.

The Physis V100 vertical also uses this action.

The H2 uses the TP40 Plastic-key version - still with 3 sensors.

The H3 is same as H2 but with 73-notes

The K4 uses the TP40 - with 2 sensors and aftertouch

The K5 uses the TP100 - with 2 sensors and aftertouch

Just want to clarify - the K4 uses a Fatar TP40 action with TWO sensors and aftertouch. The K5 uses the TP100 action you mentioned (with aftertouch).... Feel free to let me know any follow-up questions, and I'll do my best to respond accurately.

Kind regards,

- Gary

Australia will have the same options as presented at NAMM for the US and Canada. Here is the complete list of Physis Models currently being produced and distributed:

H1 (88 Graded Hammer Wooden Keys)

H2 (88 Lightweight Hammer Keys)

H3 (73 Lightweight Hammer Keys)

K4 MasterKeyboard (88 Hammer Action weighted keys w/aftertouch)

K5 MasterKeyboard (76 Lightweight Hammer Keys w/aftertouch)

K4EX - same as K4, but includes Physis Expansion SoundBoard

K5EX - same as K5, but includes Physis Expansion SoundBoard

V100 - Vertical Piano with 88 Graded Hammer Wooden Keys (available in 5 colors: Black, White, Red, Blue, Gold)

There are also a bunch of accessories - including amplified and non-amplified stands, gig bags, monitors, etc.. I've only seen the two stands, so I can't comment on the other accessories just yet.

Let me know any other follow up questions.

Kind regards,

- Gary

One of the previous posts inquired about service/support. The warranty on the Physis Pianos is 3 years parts, 2 years labor. The Physis Piano is produced by Viscount - which has been around since 1890. Physis Piano is using a parts facility and technician (Norm Ninneman) in Wisconsin. I'm happy to say, yours truly is the primary contact for any service or support-related concerns.

Feel free to let me know any other concerns or questions - and I'll do my best to answer factually.

Thanks Gary, but WHO is importing them into Australia, have you contracted a distributor yet?

Plus it is a bit difficult, not to mention time consuming and EXPENSIVE to have the ship them back to the US for any warranty support...

Dennis

PS: And I assume the TP100 you refer to is the TP100LR model?

http://www.fatar.com/pages/TP100LR.html

Not the older TP100

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I really disliked the Kurzweil action. Maybe the most uncomfortable piano action I played at NAMM.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

The Physis H1 uses the top-end Fatar TP40 with wooden keys and ivory-sense key tops.

The H2 uses the TP40 Plastic-key version - still with 3 sensors.

The K4 uses the TP40 - with 2 sensors and aftertouch

The K5 uses the TP100 - with 2 sensors and aftertouch

thx,- can you specify more ?

TP40 H, M or L in the K4 ?

Because I see no other it should be TP100L/R in the K5

Fatar TP40 WOOD in the H1 ...

TP40GH in the H2,- or TP40H, M or L ?

A.C.

I really disliked the Kurzweil action. Maybe the most uncomfortable piano action I played at NAMM.

You mean the one from Artis (TP100 L/R) or the one from PC3x /PC38K (TP40L) ?

In fact, I hope for the TP40L in the K5 controller to trigger my KURZ PC361 pianos/e-pianos and use the PC361 action for the KB3 organ and synth leads.

A.C.

• 2 months later...

He really wasn't a very good presenter of the product. Very nice, great piano player, but not a salesperson that knew how to ask the right questions. I just gave up trying to ask any questions.

My biggest concern is the not the product, but product support should anything go wrong. As a comparison, over at the Nord display, I was given a quick 10 minute tour of the Stage 2 and how to set everything up. He listened and gave me his card.

Hay Captain,

I've been doing the demo at trade show MUSIKMESSE Frankfurt... presentations in France... Germany...

Feel free to join the Facebook group and ask any question.

Hope you feel in good hands there :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1490471024505624/

Cheers

Robert

www.robert-karasek.com

Keyboard - Media - Consulting - Education

• 5 months later...

Archived