Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Played Blues jam with a 17 yr old female guitarist!

I-missRichardTee

Would you have told that to Hendrix

It's a totally different industry now. And that's something else I wanted to mention.

This whole talent, networking and hard-work thing is just ONE level of the complete puzzle. In the new music industry, it's the responsibility of the artist to cultivate their own fanbase and market themselves. Talent and content is really half of the game.

No label (manager, booking agent, club) is going to even look at you if you don't come with your own built-in tribe. And I would argue that once you've done all the heavy lifting to build your tribe, the last thing you should do is wait for a label to pick you up only to screw you in the end.

But, if you're young, build your tribe, build your team, and then learn to market yourself and keep the profits as close to home as possible.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about someone like Bonnie Raitt?

Who paid her dues in the 1970's when the future of live music performance as a career path was merely uncertain. Sad to say, it's a lot more certain now.

Sheryl Crow is the last person I can think of that's in the same ballpark as Bonnie Raitt. And actually, currently there's Grace Potter; who is arguably popular, though not Katy Perry popular. And no one can say she doesn't have the hot-chick-guitar-player-who-can-wail-vocally thing down. Who here has heard of her?

[video:youtube]

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Grace Potter [snip] Who here has heard of her?
We've had many discussions about her (she also plays B3).

My advice, besides some of what was said above? To follow her heart, go with what stirs her soul, etc., and to keep learning. It can be two sides of the same coin - she should learn more about her thing as well as things that may not be what stirs her as much, but that learning will eventually help her. Never limit yourself.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Grace Potter [snip] Who here has heard of her?
We've had many discussions about her (she also plays B3).

My advice, besides some of what was said above? To follow her heart, go with what stirs her soul, etc., and to keep learning. It can be two sides of the same coin - she should learn more about her thing as well as things that may not be what stirs her as much, but that learning will eventually help her. Never limit yourself.

Happy New Year. Mr Muscara-Stone. I like your follow heart and keep learning idea a lot

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I know this is a music forum but really, telling a kid she might make a living in music in this era? Unless shes the luckiest girl in her state the chances are she will be destroyed , turned out,on drugs and ruined in 5 years. If shes got the looks, be a model. If shes got the brains be an architect, or be a modeling architect. If she was my friend I would tell her to get as good as she can but keep it fun. If it takes off go with it but don't get obsessed. There is a lot of very pretty girls with a strong head start on her and they are struggling to make a dime. Nashville is full of them. Just call me the dream killer.

FunMachine.

Have some other career to fall back on, for money.

If I had a nickle for every successful musician who's father told them they needed something to fall back on :laugh:

Really. Does she want to be a musician or a Video star? If she's a real player (and it sounds like she may be), then she'll be a musician whether it pays $30 a night or $30,000.

If she want's advice on how to be Katy Perry with a Strat, I wouldn't waste my time. There will be plenty of bloodsuckers along to tell her to push her boobs up high into a low cut top.

Sorry to see how many people read the OP and found "pretty" to be the important part.

It's a good thing I don't listen to everything you guys say, ya bunch of jaded sonofaguns. ;)

Tell her to have fun, whether it's in music or something else. Tell her that if she's serious about music, that it's got to be her priority. Tell her also that she needs to grow as an individual, so she needs other learning situations and other distractions in her life. Tell her to find the music that speaks to her, and learn how to speak it (sounds like she might be doing alright already). Tell her that it's a short life, but parts will be long. Tell her to not worry too much, because life is still actually pretty long. Tell her I say hi.

...Sorry to see how many people read the OP and found "pretty" to be the important part.

+1!

We are human and have normal sympathetic reactions. The OP said she was pretty, he could have left it out. I think for better or worse he, as well as us vicariously wanted to help her in part because he liked her and in part because she was pretty.

What if the O\post had said I played with this 17 year old girl who sang good and played guitar. And she was ugly. That paints a different mental picture. I'll bet the responses and advice would have been a little different.

FunMachine.

Kas: then there is "fact" that she appears to be a nice person, not all full of herself.. though it would be some extraordinary "handful", that would be bold enough, in a room filled with her seniors, to be obnoxious. She did hold her cards close to her vest, but not rigidly. But back to point.. her niceness is a huge factor, at least for the initial desire to help her.. or so I am guessing. I cannot tell how beautiful she is. I just saw her as barely an emerging "baby". Maybe the term "nice" is too general.. of course she ought to have ambition, she will disappear if she does not.. but maybe this- "knows how to behave in public", is more accurate. But she seems sincere to me too, so not an act. So we can add fairly mature, pleasant to be around, to her other qualities.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

What Majuscule/Eric said, but mostly
Tell her to have fun

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Ironically perhaps, but having fun, is a big ( if not biggest ) ticket item, to success, esp in entertainment industry. Don't let 'em see you sweat.

I think the bottom line for all of us is that, at the end of the day, love it or hate it, profit or no, succeed or fail, we musician's stay with music because we feel we are called to do so. That is it simply inside of us and we are compelled to do it regardless of how many times the world knocks us down.

You cynics friggin' kill me. Maybe we should just tell the poor girl that if she doesn't wear the right shade of lipstick and push her boobs up that the game is already over. I mean, look at all the talentless harlots out there making millions on bubble gum tripe. What's the point, really?

I would tell her to excel DESPITE that, because the world needs better artists than that. And she owes it to herself to be one of them.

I think the bottom line for all of us is that, at the end of the day, love it or hate it, profit or no, succeed or fail, we musician's stay with music because we feel we are called to do so. That is it simply inside of us and we are compelled to do it regardless of how many times the world knocks us down.

You cynics friggin' kill me. Maybe we should just tell the poor girl that if she doesn't wear the right shade of lipstick and push her boobs up that the game is already over. I mean, look at all the talentless harlots out there making millions on bubble gum tripe. What's the point, really?

I would tell her to excel DESPITE that, because the world needs better artists than that. And she owes it to herself to be one of them.

If I may, Amen to that :thu:

The most invaluable advice is valueless if it hasn't been requested. (but you knew that) Encouragement on the other hand is always ... :love:

Sounds like you met a cool family, T, and you want to help them. Props to you. :thu::rawk::cool:

If shes got the looks, be a model.
:eyeroll: Seriously? Modeling is a better bet than music? Hardly, not even factoring in the abuse that many models face trying to get gigs.

The best concise advice I ever heard is this, regarding being a professional artist of any kind:

You shouldn't dedicate yourself to a career in the arts unless you can't be happy doing anything else.

In my case, I made the right decision. An average engineer can do quite well, and play whatever damn music he wants (though admittedly at a lower level than if he'd dedicated himself to pro music). An average musician has a pretty tough go of it (and I'm not even average, though perhaps I could have been.)

But I'd rather have "a tough go of it" and a job that I enjoy than a cushy high-paying job that I hate. I know a number of local-level musicians, all of whom seem terribly talented from where I sit, but who aren't ever going to make it big, or even make it largeish. They struggle with finances and have multiple jobs, but they're happy people who won't lie there on their deathbeds and wish they'd spent more time at the office.

Thank you Tusker and Jeff ( most recent posters -) ) I plan on ( if I see this young lady again ) to turn her on to this whole thread!

I am concerned about adults around her, telling her a bunch of conflicting well meaning ( hopefully ) advice. I am amazed at her maturity though. I did not stare at her face, I know she looks presentable. I don't know about Katy Perry level.

I have a very kind grandfatherly feeling towards her.. and I enjoy this.

Jeff, that lying on deathbed scenario, is very true, but so is practicality. But I lean towards her putting total dedication into being a rippingly great player.. follow her heart, and see how fate does with it.

Best advice I ever heard given to a kid starting out in a creative field (it was filmmaking, not music, but I think it applies to all artists) was this:

Try to become an interesting person. Be curious about the world around you, develop a point a view about what you see, and let what you discover be reflected your creative work.

I have no idea how this might apply to the business aspects of a career, but I think it's a good principle to follow if you want to become a real musician.

Cheers,

B.

Archived