Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Played Blues jam with a 17 yr old female guitarist!

I was so encouraged to hear a mature 17 year old playing such nice Blues, and rhythm too. I asked her if she plans on doing music full time, she said yes. She came to jam with parents, who were obviously supportive.

She seems humble, is pretty, sings well, is intelligent, and plays surprisingly authentically - It felt to me like she would HAVE to be successful.. in spite of the circumstances.

I hope to see her again.. would any of you have any advice for her. I actually held my tongue in that regard. I just told her she is very talented!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Learn all styles, blues is too limited, for money.

Focus on singing, more opportunity, for money.

Learn to play gigs as a solo act: 100% of the take, for money.

Start teaching guitar and voice right away, for money.

Have some other career to fall back on, for money.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and also helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." 

Harry teaches jazz piano online using Facebook Messenger, FaceTime, or Google Meet.

Study music, but MAJOR in business.

Learn an equitable trade that will fund your music dream while you keep shedding your chops. Never stop learning and practicing.

Find others in the music community in where you live and FIND A MENTOR.

Listen, listen, listen.

Start writing music and join a PRO now. Also join SoundExchange.

Set up your own personal website with samples and videos of your playing and press business cards driving people to that site. Keep updating the site with content as you create it.

Get a SoundCloud account.

Get a BandCamp account.

That's off the top of my head. More to come.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

King Super 20 Alto, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, M-Audio ProKeys88sx, Roland MKS-50

Branch out beyond blues, need to be versatile. Learn to teach, learn to play gig$ as a solo act to make money . Have some other career to fall back on.

Beyond the shadow of a doubt, this.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

If she is a good singer, focus on that music career wise. Way more career opportunities for any musician, especially female, as a vocalist. Even great female guitar players get that "pretty good...for a girl" thing but female singers have an open door.

Let me tell you... this young lady was holding her own.. it was not pretty good for a girl. She has serious soul. My gut was, this girl is going to go somewhere. I can't explain it. Ok she was not Jimi , ok fine but who is Jimi, or BB, but this girl has a lot of attributes in one package.. just sayin.

Keep stuff coming in.

What is SoundExchange ?

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

would any of you have any advice for her.

Stay away from I-missRichardTee. The guy causes a lot of trouble.

You butt breath you ha ha ha Butt you are right, in a way, even though all that Williamsburg bad air messed with your mind. ha ha

;)

I was once a very talented, albeit, ugly, guy with hi hopes, and people around me saying this and that about my possibilities.

Dig: Sometimes I wonder 1 do you go whole hog balls to the wall, devil may care... or do you go conservative: get a career to fall back on , go to school, and in a way invite in doubt.

Just sayin, and wondering aloud. She is a nice girl from what I see, but maybe I should take D bon's advice ha ha

And regarding versatility... I went the highly versatile route, and again, sometimes I wonder, was that the right road?

What is SoundExchange ?

SoundExchange is an international PRO that collects royalties from internet streaming that don't all under ASCAP, BMI or SESAC's jurisdiction. I get an internet royalty from BMI but also a separate one from SoundExchange.

King Super 20 Alto, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, M-Audio ProKeys88sx, Roland MKS-50

And regarding versatility... I went the highly versatile route, and again, sometimes I wonder, was that the right road?

I think you have to carve out a sound that is ultimately "you." It's the only thing that will ultimately make you unique. That said, diversifying and broadening your palette will add to that; as long as you're not all over the place.

But then there are people like Prince and Stevie Wonder, so...

I play keys, saxophone and sing all pretty much at the same level. Classically trained on sax and voice and self-taught on keys. I can play several styles, but I gravitate to soul. A lot of people want to pigeon-hole me as a jazzer, but I know that's not in my wheelhouse.

I've spent enough time studying and playing the type of music I love to know my own identity. I think I had that when I was younger, and then I went out and discovered all those other styles and techniques out there. Perhaps at some point, all of it confused and distracted me, but I eventually came back to my own personal "voice." Now I walk into a room, and people know I am a funky white boy. It took me probably a good quarter of my life to get there.

So, I'd probably tell a young musician to find what stirs their soul and claim it. Then spend the rest of their development building, expanding and experimenting with that.

Butt you are right, in a way, even though all that Williamsburg bad air messed with your mind. ha ha

Butt I don't live in Williamsburg. :cool:

I spent the first 7 years of life about a half mile from the toll booth collectors at Lincoln Tunnel on border of Weehawken and Union City.. ten zillion freaking buses used to colorfully drive by everyday. My Dad was smart, he took bus into the "City". And we were in Times Square quicker than many in Bronx, Queens, or Brooklyn. :thu:

Happy New Years to you ( did you pick up on the yearS lol )

Butt you are right, in a way, even though all that Williamsburg bad air messed with your mind. ha ha

Butt I don't live in Williamsburg. :cool:

I spent the first 7 years of life about a half mile from the toll booth collectors at Lincoln Tunnel on border of Weehawken and Union City.. ten zillion freaking buses used to colorfully drive by everyday. My Dad was smart, he took bus into the "City". And we were in Times Square quicker than many in Bronx, Queens, or Brooklyn. :thu:

Happy New Years to you ( did you pick up on the yearS lol )

I've lived in 3 of the 5 boros, but mainly in Greenpoint, Long Island City and Astoria.

Man, I miss those days.

Learn all styles, blues is too limited, for money.

Focus on singing, more opportunity, for money.

Learn to play gigs as a solo act: 100% of the take, for money.

Start teaching guitar and voice right away, for money.

Have some other career to fall back on, for money.

What about someone like Bonnie Raitt? This girl reminded me of her. I am wondering about the one pointed approach. I never had the courage to take that approach, so I see myself superimposed on any young talented person.

There is something about not responding ( esp when very young... where you have time to readjust 5 - 10 years hence ) to doubt and fear. And just giving it everything you've got for one vision.

It's not about how good your playing is, only if you're "good enough". But if your playing is good AND you are a good looking female, that's probably worth something. Just look at Tal Wilkenfeld. But you still need to focus on marketing yourself, nobody's going to do it for you.

What about someone like Bonnie Raitt?

Who paid her dues in the 1970's when the future of live music performance as a career path was merely uncertain. Sad to say, it's a lot more certain now.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Archived