Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Sorry, desparate request for accomodation in Florida

konaboy

First a big apology for the off-topic post in the forum but I'm a bit desperate and this is the only place I hang out where there are lots of American friends. If the mods deem this post to be non appropriate then please delete.

THing is I have booked a flight to Florida from Sweden for 33 days to escape the long winter. But to my horror I have discovered that the cost of a hotel accomodation for this many nights is way over my budget. Even the cheaper hotels & motels have rates of $100 per night which is $3000 total!

So it is beginning to look like I will have to cancel and forfeit the cost of the flight.

So, in desperation I reach out to my friends, is there anybody who will rent out a room for a month, or knows somebody that would be prepared to do this and negotiate a rental deal with me?

Any advice or tips are gratefully received and sorry once again for the OT.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out Hotwire.com.

I almost always manage to find a very nice hotel for about half price whenever I use it. I'm thinking you *must* be able to get better than $100/night in FLA.

That's the price I pay when I use Hotwire for a 4 star hotel midtown Manhattan.

Like Wayne said, where are you looking to stay? Plenty of extended stays in the Orlando area.. looking at one now near Universal for $53 per night for a 30 day stay (advance purchase). Full kitchen for cheap meals, WI-FI, free light breakfast, in front of a I-Drive (tourist hotspot area) trolley stop, close to Universal if you like theme parks.

big thanks, I will investigate these recommendations immediately.

I was deliberately non-specific because I am not in a position to be fussy! But my preference would be South Florida within 5-10kms from the coast.

cheers!

edit, just saw Scott's post. Yes that is in my price range. However, not sure if Orlando is my ideal destination as I was hoping for sun and sand.

Also, look into condominium rentals. They usually are 1 week minimum but can go for a month or longer.

What airport are you flying in to? You might consider staying in the Ft. Lauderdale to West Palm Beach area on the East coast rather than Miami or south of Tampa - Sarasota /Siesta Key or farther south on the west coast.

Also, its Florida, sand and sun are everywhere. What you want to be close to is the water.

Don't forget the Gulf Coast (western part of state). Beaches are nicer, unless you're looking for a 24/7 party.

Marco Island if you're staying south. Clearwater/Venice/St. Petersburg if you want to head north a bit. Could be cheap accommodations inland.

There are days I miss my home state. :(

I make software noises.

In the past, my parents have rented an oceanfront condo (about 900 square feet) with for the entire month of February for around $1200 in Destin (the panhandle of the state). Had a washer, dryer, kitchen, cable TV. two bedrooms, living room and balcony facing the beach.
Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

If you want the East Coast of Florida, you should check out Melbourne/Cocoa/Cocoa Beach area. There are a lot of places to stay that are by the week, it's very close to the beach, and about an hour away from the attractions in Orlando.

Drive north for about an hour, Daytona

South a couple hours, Miami.

Oh, and it is 82 and partly cloudy right now.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3607/3366090860_2d80375026.jpg

017_17 by mrnightime, on Flickr

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I just plugged Plantation FL into Air BNB (a company I helped take public used to be HQ'd in Plantation), and found some room offers as low as $40 a night.

Of course, I don't know your specific dates and all, but seems to me you should have some very reasonable options with a little advance planning.

Also, a Florida-based forumite might be willing to throw a blanket on his couch for you if he knew you were bringing a red present from Sweden to leave there...

guys, the advice that you have provided has been outstanding. Thank you for the rapid response to my situation.

airbrb appears to be the solution. Since starting this thread I have thrown out 20 inquiries to individuals renting out rooms in Fort Lauderdale and Miami. I fly into Ft. Ld and was not planning on hiring a car so these locations are most convenient.

Sharing accommodation with local people instead of hiring a room in a corporate hotel or shabby motel is very appealing to me. One guy in Miami actually had a recording studio in his house. :)

You guys rock, will have to start posting music related threads here again (reason for my absence is that I play mainly guitar these days).

......(reason for my absence is that I play mainly guitar these days).

Oh, you're a guitar player??

Good thing you didn't let that slip before you got all the help! :laugh:

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

You might want to consider the cost of transportation to any beach. Yes we are very fortunate living in temperate climates.. I am in S Cal, not less than 100 miles North of San Diego. Just finished a steady gig with a native of Sweden, who lives near me!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I was in Jacksonville surfing in my shorts in January once. All the locals were shivering in wet suits. It was like an early summer day to me. Water temp about 68 f.

My brother made the front page of The Boston Globe surfing on a day like today... 25 f, water temp under 40 f, high winds, heavy snow, blizzard conditions. He got me to try that exactly once.

--wmp

Mr Nightime, there are people in the sea! You need a wetsuit to go in the sea at this time of year?

Over here the sea tends to be iced over this time of year.

That scene looked beautiful, I truly hope that you Floridians realise how fortunate you are!

The water temp at the Cocoa Beach Pier today is 78. Outside air temp 82.

Yes, we are very fortunate this time of year.

OTOH, 98 with 100% humidity during the summer makes up for it.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Thanks mate, I will take your recommendation into consideration. I have time to explore both.

Without a car, which cities/towns are easily reached from Miami with public transport, and how?

I have visited Florida about 5 years ago and loved both the coasts, and also all the bits in the middle!

hope you find a place. CL or airbnb are the best options.

Just wondering, did you book your flight on a whim, without looking at accommodation prices? Usually people figure out where they will stay first.

or I guess Sweden is so cold that you just had to get out now!!!

CL?

Yeah, the flight booking was a bit spontaneous. I figured that the flight availability was most critical based on the (wrong?) assumption that it is easy to find cheap accommodation at last minute in the US.

I'm on a mission to repeat this adventure on a yearly basis with the aim of reducing the number of winter months that I have to suffer.

Thanks mate, I will take your recommendation into consideration. I have time to explore both.

Without a car, which cities/towns are easily reached from Miami with public transport, and how?

I have visited Florida about 5 years ago and loved both the coasts, and also all the bits in the middle!

Well, we all love the bits in the middle.

Hate to say it, though -- the 'without a car' part could be a problem. There's almost no public transportation in Florida. We might see some light rail here in a couple of years. Maybe.

Archived