Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland XP-10: Anyone using one?

Curmudgeon

Long-time lurker posting for the first time. First of all, thanks for all the valuable insights you share here. You've helped me choose gear, tweak my practice routine, and find great bands and musicians that entertain and inspire me.

Now, my question:

I have a Roland XP-10 that was handed down to me a couple of years ago. I wouldn't have bought this board, but it didn't cost me anything. I use it primarily as a controller for Hauptwerk and Virtual B3, along with an original Korg NanoKontrol for drawbar control. I've played with the on board sounds, and while some are fun, there's nothing I'm in love with, and some are downright cheesy.

Am I missing anything? Are there any hidden sonic treasures buried in this board? Any reason I shouldn't sell it for GAS money?

Casio PX-5S, Casio PX-3, Hammond SK1, Roland XP-10, Classic MIDI Works AGO MIDI Pedalboard, Mainstage 3, Hauptwerk, Conn 8D

Previously owned: Yamaha DGX 230, Alesis Q88, Novation Impulse 61

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's basically a decent General MIDI sound set - nothing stands out, but good generic sounds that cover the bases. Roland has excellent MIDI implementation and the sounds are much more editable than the menus would lead you to believe, if you wanted yo roll up your sleeves and dive into RPN's, NRPN's, and SysEx.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I have a Roland XP-10 that was handed down to me a couple of years ago. Am I missing anything? Are there any hidden sonic treasures buried in this board? Any reason I shouldn't sell it for GAS money?

No, No, No, No, and No.

:nopity:

I had one back in 1996 and it was a nice little 11 pound keyboard. I dove in and really learned to edit it and it came in handy at band rehearsal for a few years. Even used it on some soundtrack projects until I sold it in 1998 after buying my Alesis QS7.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Archived