Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

how'd your NYE gig go?

The Wind

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did not enjoy mine.. players had not played together in a while.. sloppy, not paying attention to speeding up tempo as old folks were dancing, etc plus my keyboard monitor was in wrong place.. I later disconnected it, and send my sound elsewhere, which helped. Second set ( only two long sets of dancing ) was better than the poor 1st set.. funny thing, at end of gig, all my tension dissolved. The second it ended all was well. This kind of experience was fostering fantasy's about starting my own band in 2014!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

My gig went incredibly well! We played at the largest, and arguably most popular, club in NW Indiana. The band sounded good FOH and we played reasonably well; good energy, no major f-ups, and we had a couple of "moments" were things were really clicking. The club was packed despite the area being pummeled with waves of lake effect snow all night. Driving to the club, I was seriously concerned this would adversely impact attendance. The club manager was very pleased, and characterized the night as "perfect."

The only thing I found surprising was that about 45 minutes after "the countdown" the manager requested that we end the night, despite a packed, frenzied dance floor. He told us he was worried about intoxicated patrons attempting to drive home, and perhaps more on point, any potential liability. We could have easily kept the party going for at least another 45 minutes. In my 30+ years of playing out, this represented a "first" for me, especially on one of the biggest bar "paydays" of the year.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I have not paid careful attention, having only heard intimations about potential lawsuits; but club owner lawsuits ( based on inebriated customers ) are common occurrence these days?

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I have not paid careful attention, having only heard intimations about potential lawsuits; but club owner lawsuits ( based on inebriated customers ) are common occurrence these days?

A club can lose it's liquor license if multiple DUI's are traced to it. It's a process my current club is going through (on appeal, but they will probably eventually get shut down because they were averaging one DUI a week during the investigative period).

I've heard of liquor licenses being pulled. While I don't personally know of any bars who have been sued, I know they can be held liable for over-serving.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

My third year playing a massive singles party at a upscale hotel. 2500-3000 attendees. Dance floor packed for four full sets. I dig playing with this bass player and drummer - we lock into the groove and simply kill together.

Guitar player would be better off just turning his amp off. But it's his band and he books good paying gigs like this one, so....

Front line is good. Very good. And the young horn section sounds tight.

So we have our share of moments, and the dance floor reflects that. Packed packed packed from downbeat to encore.

I've mentioned it before, but the Nord Wave and Kronos just kill in this band context. From Daft Punk to EWF to Gwen Stefani to Chaka Khan to whatever, I can easily program aces for these kinds of tunes, and navigating it live is fast as I start most of our tunes.

Running around wireless with the keytar, as well as rhythm guitar on a few tunes, it's an aerobic workout kind of gig.

Promised myself I wasn't going to drink on that gig, as where my heads been at it wouldn't have gone in a good place, and that was the right decision. While half the married guys in the band went off to cheat on their wives, I packed, loaded and got out of Dodge - home by 2:30a.

There was one altercation on the dance floor. Third set I feel my whole rig shoved and jolted to the left. A drunk guy had pushed a gal into the stage and she hit my stand. I don't know if it was intentional or not (didn't see it) but I did see the gal's pretty big yoked boyfriend start to go after the guy. People intervened, security was FAST onto the scene, and I later saw the drunk carted off an stretcher. Maybe something more than too much alcohol, I don't know.

I did not enjoy my 2 hour 9-11 pm solo piano gig. It was a 30 minute drive to a private house party. They had an old upright that had only been recently tuned after 5 years or more. It was a muddy, sloppy sounding piano and everything sound blah... the sluggish uneven action made busy runs something to avoid. I felt awkward, out of place and didn't know what kind of music they wanted and nobody communicated with me.

At one point a guy around 60 looked shocked and annoyed when I told him I could not play his request for "Rhapsody In Blue" , of course while I was in the middle of playing something else. Then a guy asked me while I was playing if I also sang. I said no, and then asked did I mind if others sang, I said not as long as I knew the song and that was the end of that. I felt like a fish out of water, my breathing felt unnatural and my head was spacey. I took one 10 minute break and like a pro avoided their booze, food, and conversations. I collected my $300 at 11 pm and left.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

The big band I've played several NYE gigs with hasn't been hired since a couple of years - nobody seems to have the money for a big band anymore. (But strangely enough, we have a gig on Jan. 18th. Weird.)

So I spent the night with some old friends , just outside the city. They have a piano,, and most of the guests (about 20) were musical, so we had great fun until about 5 a.m.

Possibly the best gig my band has had in 18 years. A small social club of 32 couples rented a very nice 4000 sq. ft. facility and us. We had our own table with a little sign with our name on it. We were invited to eat the delicious catered food with everyone else. Almost everyone danced to every song. Everyone was solicitous and kind. We even got champagne at midnight.

The cherry on top: $200 per man times the six of us. Sweetest gig that I can remember.

Kurzweil PC4

Classic rock cover band went 40 mi to the next town's upscale biker bar. Big stage, 2.5 feet off the dance floor. A mature and responsive crowd filled the dance floor most of the night. The band played well. Had lots of fun.

Kind of opposite of many NYE gig horror stories I've heard.

I had a jazzt trio+singer gig in the terrace of a fancy restaurant at 31st noon. Everyone had a good time, restaurant owners were happy and i was back home by 6 afternoon. We played some classic jazz standards and some pop/soul songs arranged for the trio. Overall it was a very nice and quite profitable NyE gig
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Country gig, about 70 miles east of where we live. Nice club / restaurant; a place I've played often. Band played mostly older country material, which I don't mind one bit. Crowd was large, friendly and fun. Club owner / management treated us great: a nice bar tab (though I don't drink that much on NYE), and a little break on their special dinner menu. The owner did a great job putting together a very cool, midnight buffet. She had us stop playing about 1:15 - which is slightly early for that room; usually we play til 1:30 there. Though we could've gone a bit longer - especially on NYE, I think there were concerns about drinking and driving. And this room has been in business a long time; they like to watch out for their patrons.

The band hadn't played together since early November; we did ok, though I felt a little sloppy in a few spots. The guitarist - with whom I'd had some space challenges at the last gig - was very accommodating last night; plus he's an interesting character, and deadly player. So lotsa fun this time around. I thought I had a pretty experienced ear - after 30 years of doing this, but this guy hears stuff in an almost supernatural fashion. Actually saved my arse on a couple of obscure tunes that had strange changes and timing :laugh:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Mine was just the way I like my NYE gigs: early and easy! Solo piano at a club, ending at 10. The piano was well-tuned and in good shape. So was the burlesque dancer who came up and did a couple "teaser" numbers for the main show happening later. It was one of those nights when I really like my job.

Another country gig here. Overall, the crowd enjoyed it and we did decent with the sound and the money thing, but I wish I could have been somewhere else. Had more to say but deleted it 'cause I just want to wish everyone a Happy New Year! Easier to move on that way.

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

Great gig. Played solo keyboard at a very nice restaurant. Got a free great meal. People seemed to enjoy the music.

Went home very tired when it occurred to me that I played four hours with a total of maybe 10 minute bathroom breaks.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

Great gig. Played solo keyboard at a very nice restaurant. Got a free great meal. People seemed to enjoy the music.

Went home very tired when it occurred to me that I played four hours with a total of maybe 10 minute bathroom breaks.

Wow, only 10 minutes total.. that's rough. That's like 2 and a half potty breaks per set, or 3 on some, and maybe 2 on others! 0_0 Happy New Year

Didn't play keys last night. Taken with my phone from my DJ station. The stage served as an elevated extension to the dance floor for those who liked to show off (like the dude in red). The club was packed all the way up to 1:45 cutoff and is much larger than what's in these pics.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/4/enwo.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/6/bv9s.jpg

Mine went ok , I guess. There were some hell yeah moments and oh fuck moments as well. The band had a subbing drummer who didn't know or learn quite a few of the band's originals and old classics. Responsive crowd of 50-75 folks and tipped pretty well.

Played from 9-2, so pretty tired afterwards and on the way home, my truck's power brakes went out, missed an exit and ended up trying to find my way out of downtown Houston at 3am (with no brakes). Home 30 mins later and slept till noon thirty. Inspected brake problem today and a line seems to be leaking. Great start to the New Year ;)

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

I was surprised at how well the gig went. New Year's with an improvisational groove collective I've been part of for a few years. It was kind of a last-minute booking and there were a couple of other events that targeted a similar audience that we have, and there were far more people there - on time (not a regularity in Montreal) - than I had expected.

First set was an MC whose live band is made up of people from that collective, myself included. The full live band hasn't played together since the Jazz Fest this summer, so it was a bit of dusting off the cobwebs. Our DJ wasn't on the gig, so I wound up triggering a couple of the samples as well, a challenge and task I enjoy.

It was fun to play with another keyboardist in the improv setting. We really balanced well, made sure we weren't using the same sound or playing similar parts. I bought a Mimo 710S through their holiday promotion and took it for its inaugural outing on NYE, along with the maiden voyages of Kontakt 5 and Ultra Analog VA-2 running under Mainstage 2. A couple of times my CPU hit the ceiling but nothing terrible happened (*knock wood*). One of the guitarists noticed a significant upgrade in the sound quality, which was a nice thing to hear. Will hopefully add VB3 soon, and try to find a way to get the Scarbee Rhodes to work under Snow Leopard, and the Mainstage rig should be sorted for a while.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

My NY's Eve Eve gig was amazing. We were playing the hippest little bar in town, very small capacity. We ended up selling out before playing, turning people away. On a Monday! The place was packed and the audience was dancing. Good times, hopefully only a preview of what's to come. :cool:

Burlesque...nice. i need to find me some of those gigs.

Careful... The house band I play in got a little excited when we had some booked for our variety show. It got awkward reeeeal fast when everyone realised they didn't actually know how to dance.

Careful... The house band I play in got a little excited when we had some booked for our variety show. It got awkward reeeeal fast when everyone realised they didn't actually know how to dance.

haha...i can imagine how that would be. i thought they would be trained dancers though. it seems more fun than the typical gig.

Have a story about a NYE gig I did a few yrs back. I was hired to play solo piano for a private gala. They rented the entire conference floor of a hotel.

First hour was fine as I was background music to the guests walking in. Then the DJ in the other room kicked it up and that was game over. I could barely hear myself playing and said forget it. Just chilled out with the guests till after midnight, got paid and left.

The organizer barely even cared if I was playing. He charged $100/tix and the bar prices were typical gouging. $10-15 a glass of wine or beer. Place had several hundred people so he did well.

Moral is never try to compete on an acoustic piano with a DJ!

Funny thing is everyone wanted to take photos posing by the grand piano, looking all classy.

Our gig went pretty well. About 200 people in attendance and the dance floor was packed for almost every song. I was hoping my bandleader would bring his new Yamaha CP4 so I could check it out in person, but he opted for his Kronos-88 instead.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I ended up paying half off for food. It was a small band party with their wives/dates and it wouldn't have cost the restaurant that much. I was so pissed. I haven't played NYE in 3 years but never had a problem with getting a meal paid for but in this instance I was subbing. Live and learn.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Not bad. Did a "first night" gig about 45 minutes from home. We played from 8-10, so by midnight I was already home, gear unloaded, and on the couch with a bit o' the bubbly.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Archived