Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NYE gig mishap

gino

Hi all. Before I share I just wanted to wish you all a happy and healthy 2014. I was so happy to have stumbled across this forum some 12-18 mths ago. I've only contributed a few times and really enjoy the topics that pop up and I can tell there are plenty of talented and knowledgeable/experienced folks around here that are willing to help out where they can. I use my iPad 2 with setlist maker for my charts and to drive program changes via midi purely because of the knowledge shared via this forum. It has made gigging so much more enjoyable for me. So thank you. Anyways last night our covers band was playing a local bowling club NYE gig. Gig went well, band was pumping, sound on stage and FOH was great. We stop at 5 mins to midnight so that management can bring down the retractable screen on stage so fireworks can be viewed on the large screen. My 2 keyboard rig needs to be moved as its right in the path of the screen. Anyways we manage to do that, although not easy on a cramped stage. Cool. Midnight countdown happens, fireworks telecast from Sydney harbour up on the big screen, we play Auld Lang Syne, then celebration, then finish up as per scheduled. I start packing up the gear, I've removed all the leads and cables from my keyboards, iPad, mixer and speaker. I've started rolling my cables and then hear an almighty bang and look over to find my Roland XP-80 which sits on the top tier of my stand on the floor. Omg. The duty manager had decided to bring up the big retractable screen, god only knows how but its somehow clipped my keyboard off its stand, the XP-80 has clipped my korg tr-88 on the way down. After my initial shock I look over at the duty manager, he looks more devastated than me for causing this, there's no point me going off at him as it was an accident although more care should have been taken. Anyway the stage was carpeted, and thankfully it didn't land upside down. I plugged it back in and played every key, changed a few patches and settings. I forgot to check the pitch bend and the disk drive.. But everything seemed to work. No broken keys. I've not had this kind of thing happen to me before. Duty manager was happy that it worked but I told him that there could still be issues that won't come to light until I thoroughly play the board for a few hours straight. What if there is damage to internal circuitry. I have back to back gigs on next fri/sat I hope it's all okay. I asked him to provide me with a letter stating what happened, accepting responsibility and stating my concern that whilst the keyboard does seem to work, there could still be internal damage which i could need to get repaired. He did provide this letter to me before I left for home. I really hope nothing is damaged. I'd hate to have to spend the time recreating splits, layers etc on another keyboard or have the inconvenience of being without the board while its being repaired. Sorry for the long post and once again happy new year to you all.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, sounds like it could have been worse, but scary nonetheless. That's great that the club guy was helpful. Falling keyboard situations are a nightmare! I had one happen nearly 30 years ago when I failed to tighten the supports properly on my A frame stand, causing my Roland JX-8P to flip face down onto a wooden stage. The patch cord dented into the back of the instrument, but I otherwise dodged a bullet.

Best of luck getting your rig back in order and happy new year!

The XP series seems to be built like a tank. I left my XP-30 leaning against the inside of the door that connects the garage to the house. We went out for a few hours and came back in through that door...I had forgotten that the keyboard was leaning against the inside. When I opened the door, the XP-30 went face-first onto the ceramic tile floor. Not only was there not a scratch on it, but the damn thing worked perfectly. I suspect they don't build 'em like that anymore.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

It's always good to do a MIDI data dump to a sequencer (or USB drive if possible) so you don't have to re-create your splits and settings - just dump them onto another keyboard (of the same brand and model and/or OS).

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Congrats on escaping this seemingly unscathed. It's incredible what can happen when two people are reasonable. Sounds like your exchange with the culprit couldn't have been any easier.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

It's always good to do a MIDI data dump to a sequencer (or USB drive if possible) so you don't have to re-create your splits and settings - just dump them onto another keyboard (of the same brand and model and/or OS).

Doesn't the XP80 have its own disk drive? My XP50 had one, you could definitely save all your user patches & sequences on it. Biggest problem might be finding a 3.5" floppy to buy!

Still yet another reason to have musical instrument insurance.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Archived