Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good Stereo Rack Mixers for 3 or 4 stereo channels

Bobadohshe

So I've narrowed it down to the Rane:

Rane MLM 82S $439.00

and the Samson SM10:

Samson SM10 $199.00

The Samson has more features.

So why is the Rane double the price? Is it sound and component quality? Durability?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I used to have a Soundcraft, which worked good and I got it pretty cheap in the early 90s from some instrument fair promotion.

I checked, and they still make mixers, also small ones, and these have pretty good specs still, for sure better than all options mentioned here (except the simple Lexicon, which however is also a 24 bit 4 input USB interface).

And, well, Sweetwater has this one for instance: cleaner, decent EQs, double send/return, cheaper (except it isn't a rack unit, but then it is metal from the looks of it with nice faders):

Soundcraft EPM6

Cheers,

T.

They didn't provide specifications in terms of noise floor and distortion, though I'd expect both are acceptable for live use. The Rane has 2 additional mic preamps with phantom power. Mic pre's are something that definitely add cost. Double? No, especially if you don't need them. Rane does have a higher reputation than Samson, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's warranted. Without more info or being able to check them out first hand, I can only speculate. But having built some things myself, I can attest to the fact that component costs can add up in a hurry. $1.50 vs $4.50 for a 1/4" TRS jack times 10 is $30 in connectors. Op amps, of which there are a WHOLE LOT in a mixer, can vary widely in price between say, a LM741 or a TL082. Of course then there is case construction. But again, this is all just speculation, and there's no way to know from looking at sweetwater ads.

My gut just from the testimonials in this thread is that the Samson is probably a good value and would suit your needs, though if have no experience with it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Well I think I got the best of both worlds. I picked one of the Ashlys up used on E-bay for $320. Some scratches on the top and bottom which don't bother me one iota.

She would have been $569.00 if I bought her new

Once I saw that the first two inputs of the Ashly had mic pre's, I was sold. Would need XLR to 1/4" adaptor for such situations but I'm fine with that and will be sure to have one on hand. I don't expect to use a mic much with this at all, but there will be those occasions I am gigging with an organ trio and a singer wants to sing a tune, or times when a PA is busted and we need a quick Vox in.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I saw a used Ashly on GC used (rather buy there due to 30-day return) but it doesn't have a send on it...I need it for my convoluted monitoring needs :P

I checked out a Samson sm-10 at Sam Ash, seemed pretty well constructed to me. Unless a used Rane sm82s pops up before I can scratch up some $$ (and I'm also looking for a used rack, that's the type of item I don't mind buying via CL) then I'm almost certainly getting the Samson. The sales guy showed me some of the specs and they were impressive as far as signal-noise, dynamic range etc....of course I'd worry most about just poor sound quality that can't necessarily be quantified but enough of you guys seems happy with it...

Once I saw that the first two inputs of the Ashly had mic pre's, I was sold. Would need XLR to 1/4" adaptor for such situations but I'm fine with that and will be sure to have one on hand. I don't expect to use a mic much with this at all, but there will be those occasions I am gigging with an organ trio and a singer wants to sing a tune, or times when a PA is busted and we need a quick Vox in.

excellent choice ,Bob. Love mine, but I've never tried the mic pre's. You have given me the itch to do so. Maybe I can get to that in a few days. I had forgotten they were there. :facepalm: I'm getting old. :laugh:

:nopity:

I have the older version of the Rane, and it's a nice, quiet mixer. If you don't need the mic inputs you might also check out the Rane 82S. Also 1U and has eight stereo/mono line inputs. The expand port is designed to allow you to gang two of these mixers together, but you can also use the expand output as a pre-master volume output to send to a DI.

I have the older version of the Rane, (snip) The expand port is designed to allow you to gang two of these mixers together, but you can also use the expand output as a pre-master volume output to send to a DI.

I use that output to connect a headphone distribution amp that has volume controls. Works great, have to sit it on top of the rack holding the SM 82, though. My life requires me to spend more time that I like using headphones, sadly.

At the moment I'm checking out this analog mixer with computer interface, usually the specs are in the product or user guide PDFs, some specs are a bit deluding, though.

T.

When you need it for the (home-)studio,- the MIDAS Venice F rackmount is a much better investment than any Mackie.

F stands for Firewire and U stands for USB, so there are options for the laptop user too.

A.C.

Yeah, looks nice. But I didn't check the price because for me the distortion specs are too high. The Onyx has AD/DA converters which also run at 96kHz, and aren't bad, but not up the spec I'm used to. The Soundcraft comes also with a built in Lexicon, which gives me confidence, and the model I looked into is cheap, ~ 200 euro at Thomann. The Midas has the most send/returns which is nice to have, like sub-busses.

I used the Soundcraft Spirit live too, was metal and worked fine. Of course it would be nice if the live mixers would be both compact and light, yet have long sliders with pro quality etc etc.

Sigh, maybe I should finish my computer controlled analog mixer (rotating image above), that can have better specs than most mentioned here when I keep it simple enough, but it's work that doesn't really pay. The volume chips in it, and the mixer chips I have already for it are top quality, and I can make it have computer controllable stereo effect sends, but that requires a whole design with ground layout and so on, I don't feel like that now. Nothing really on the market that has analog signal path of serious quality with also computer control, and only one 19" rack with 16 IO jacks, built intoroid supply transformer, midi input, scriptable built in Linux computer control. Maybe it ought to be be manufactured...

T

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I need to re configure my stage setup to feed FOH. My new stage setup will be a Moxf8, and an xk3c running through a vent. So 2 stereo inputs, with room for maybe another stereo input. I use a yam Dxr10 powered monitor . What I have been doing is sending a signal from the out of the dxr in mono straight ot the desk, obviously its a very hot signal, and not DI'ed, but it does get a signal forward. I want to keep it as simple as possible and to not take up a ton of space. Seems like the SM10 is a good solution, but what about those mini mixers from Rolls ?

Rolls MX122

Or the rolls MX28

Both are compact, the 28 is an unbalanced signal out, I would have to get a stereo DI from the outs of this to FOH, which seems like a good idea anyway, or the MX122 has balanced outs that most of the time would be ok to send to FOH. Any experience with rolls mixers ? With a 28 and a DI, will be about the same cost as a SM10, I most likely will not be using a rack , just sit the little mixer on top of the Hammond. I can also use the headphone out to send a signal to the Dxr10. Will this work ? Should I just go with the SM10? however, even though the sm10 has balanced outs, they are not the same as going through a decent stereo DI correct? Please educate me....

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

I had a hum issue with my Rolls, so I went with the SM10. It is a great mixer, and, solved the hum issue with its on-board power supply. Also has plenty of routing options. YMMV, but it was a great choice for me. Paid $100 used on Ebay, perfect condition.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Just curious

Why is THIS

never mentioned in these threads?

Does everyone know something I don't?

I also was not aware of this product, Steve. Evidently you knew something everyone else didn't. :) I actually have an application where the 2 sets of balanced outputs would fit perfectly. Thanks for posting this. :thu:

Got 'THIS' mixer: Tascam LM-8ST.

Had a SM10 before, but was very complex and sounded not so good (cannot put my finger on it). I had to label everything to be able to change quickly during a live setup.

What I have as setup:

1x stereo keyboard (Kurzweil PC3)

1x 4-output keyboard (PC3K6, with 2x mono Aux for clicktrack)

to FOH:

2x stereo boards mixed (Via output 1 on LM-8ST)

1x mono Click (direct from PC3K6 without LM-8ST)

from FOH:

1x stereo FOH mix total without keyboard

to my in-ear:

1x mono click (from other aux)

1x stereo main mix (We have no sound engineer in the audience, so I can hear volume issues)

1x stereo mix of keyboards (I put them at a higher level then the FOH mix, to fully enjoy by boards)

The only problem is the bad indicators in the knobs. It is almost impossible to read-out the position on a dark stage.

Soundwise and feature wise a great rack mixer.

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

SM10 Owner here.It is versatile and pretty clean.

When even i drag the MS Pro145 I use the SM10s first two lo-Z inputs for the MS internal mics.

I run mono and pan my keys left so I am able to use two channels panned right to internally monitor my Harmonizers output and a monitor send from the board.

I use a set of ear buds fed from the Headphone out, but when I use the K10 the send is form the rear monitor send.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Just curious

Why is THIS

never mentioned in these threads?

Does everyone know something I don't?

$400 seems a bit steep, but it does look nice, has gnd lift , 2 balanced outputs etc.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

I like the new line of small Yamaha mixers (these are not rack mounted, but you didn't specify).

I'm ordering this tiny thing when it comes out in April:

http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemImages/Large/YAM%20MG06.jpg

This looks good, I actually would prefer not to go the rackmount direction, one more larger piece of gear to carry, I have enough to lug already.A small mixer like this that can sit on top of the Hammond would be perfect.

For those that are still checking out the market, I just came across this for the first time Rolls RM219 1U 10 Channel Stereo Line Mixer . One XLR in w/phantom plus 9 stereo 1/4" line in channels, Aux send/return, pan, 1/4" outs, 1/4" headphone out (volume controlled by master volume), remote power supply (don't see a picture so I can't tell if it's a wall wart or line transformer). Looks pretty decent at $229 US.

Mark

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.

I like the new line of small Yamaha mixers (these are not rack mounted, but you didn't specify).

I'm ordering this tiny thing when it comes out in April:

http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemImages/Large/YAM%20MG06.jpg

This looks good, I actually would prefer not to go the rackmount direction, one more larger piece of gear to carry, I have enough to lug already.A small mixer like this that can sit on top of the Hammond would be perfect.

That would be nice for the single keyboard gigs. I have a "B word" mixer I use for that. It's small but still a little big to sit on the Hammond.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

This thread seems to have completely missed this - had mine a couple of years and it is great:

SM Pro Audio DI8E - 8-channel active DI box with 8-channel mixer, master volume control, headphone amplifier and thomann stereo line out. Each input has a link and a balanced output, stereo link input, earth lift per channel, 20dB pad per channel, pan control per channel. Internal power supply (110-220V). Metal housing. Dimensions: 45 x 482 x 152mm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sm_pro_audio_di8e.htm?sid=ebefd687f4047a44ada119af01c0fe8f

http://www.smproaudio.com/images/products/diboxes/di8e/DI8E_hires_1.jpg

http://www.smproaudio.com/images/products/diboxes/di8e/DI8E_hires_2.jpg

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Archived