Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I have chosen my new piano: Casio Privia PX-5S

Steve Force

As I am now a road warrior IT clown-type, spending the bulk of the week in the same Boston hotel, I have a lot of dead time. So I have been noodling over what might be the best axe for me to have there--acoustic guitar, synth, organ, piano, MIDI controller into my iPad, etc. After thinking about this for quite some time I am scoring a Casio Privia PX-5S. Jim Alfredson has one and I heard it in use Sunday night and was very impressed.

(Cross-posted to FaceBook.)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I pulled the trigger on one this week. Mine should be here by the end of the day.

Mike Martin and many forumites here have been instrumental (pun intended) in making that decision.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Good Choice! I just used my new Privia for the first time in a band context. I had anaudition for a local Stones tribute band.(I am also in a Petty tribute) I was told before the audition that obviously beside knowing the stuff, that tone was an important consideration. So I easily toted the PX-5s there in the Privia case I got from Sweetwater, selected Rock Piano to cut through on Piano parts (and boy did it sound good!) and Stage Set 4-7 Vibe for 'Under my Thumb,'which worked perfect. After 3 songs I was invited to join the band! This easily was the best 'piano' I have gigged with,particularly at pretty high volume, with an amp I have used with other keyboards before- in mono yet!

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

I, too, have read about the PX-5S, and listened to the demos. Very impressive.

I had a Yamaha CP-33 for several months - It's about the same price, but is a lot heavier, has very few sounds, and a lot less features. I eventually sold it.

But I'd like to try a PX-5S one of these days. Looks and sounds to be a great keyboard.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

I pulled the trigger on one this week. Mine should be here by the end of the day.

Mike Martin and many forumites here have been instrumental (pun intended) in making that decision.

Thanks! Welcome to the club.

If you're on Facebook, join the very active PX-5S users group. Also all the downloadable sounds are at www.casiomusicforums.com

Some of the new owners prefer the Factory Stage Settings in this alternate order:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/218-px-5s-stage-settings-alternate-order/

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Mike,

I will definitely be joining the Facebook user's page. I think I'll hold off on the alternate stage settings until I familiarize myself with the board's factory set up.

Thank you for your presence here and your willingness to answer people's questions online, in the main PX-5S thread.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

As I am now a road warrior IT clown-type, spending the bulk of the week in the same Boston hotel, I have a lot of dead time. So I have been noodling over what might be the best axe for me to have there--acoustic guitar, synth, organ, piano, MIDI controller into my iPad, etc.

You nailed three of your options (piano, synth, MIDI controller) with this one keyboard, so you did good :thu: I'm still in love with my PX-5s. It's portability can not be underestimated if you're on the move. I've discovered that I can carry something weighing 25 pounds much further than something weighing 40 pounds.

As I am now a road warrior IT clown-type, spending the bulk of the week in the same Boston hotel, I have a lot of dead time. So I have been noodling over what might be the best axe for me to have there--acoustic guitar, synth, organ, piano, MIDI controller into my iPad, etc.

You nailed three of your options (piano, synth, MIDI controller) with this one keyboard, so you did good :thu: I'm still in love with my PX-5s. It's portability can not be underestimated if you're on the move. I've discovered that I can carry something weighing 25 pounds much further than something weighing 40 pounds.

Good to know. Thanks!

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Archived