Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mainstage 3 versus 2: any performance bumps?

johnchop

Mainstage users:

On my MB Pro (2.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.7) I've found that Mainstage 2 is slow to start relative to, say, Ableton 8... and that, for some reason I can't yet determine, pegs CPU running a couple of plugins (say Pianoteq 4 + AAS UltraAnalog) compared to other hosts.

Before I go spending my (gasp!) $30, should I expect to see snappier performance with version 3?

Thanks for your input.

-J

I make software noises.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still haven't updated to MS3, but as for MS2, you should spend some time and deactivate the plugins that you aren't using, as Mainstage preloads/organizes everything in its active list on startup.

Also spend a bit of time at the Apple Support forums looking at some other pointers folks have... it'll be time well spent, with either version. :)

... deactivate the plugins that you aren't using, as Mainstage preloads/organizes everything in its active list on startup...

Thanks SG!

I certainly have more plugins than I'll use in the app. Will try tonight if time allows.

I make software noises.

... deactivate the plugins that you aren't using, as Mainstage preloads/organizes everything in its active list on startup...

Thanks SG!

I certainly have more plugins than I'll use in the app. Will try tonight if time allows.

If you dont want to delete the existing Concert, make a copy and delete the suspect AU's from the copy one at a time. Then you can flick between Concerts and test the difference in load time. Adding Sampletekk's White Grand to my active concert doubled the MainStage load time, in my case from about 4 secs to 8 secs, loading from an SSD. The larger the sample library the longer load time in my experience.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Ah, I assume SG was referring to the AU manager, so I went through that an unchecked plugins I wouldn't ever use in MainStage. Well, for that matter, the application itself does seem to load faster, but I'm going on my memory here.

I compared Live 8 (32-bit) to MS2 running in 64-bit mode, playing just Pianoteq Stage (no added effects), with 64 sample buffers. Looking at Activity Monitor, MS2 consumed ~80% CPU, whereas Live was steady at 40%.

32-bit mode is only a hair better. Something's definitely wonky with that app, at least on my system.

-John

I make software noises.

Ah, I assume SG was referring to the AU manager

Indeed I was. :)

Edited to add: Removing a plugin from a concert will reduce the time that specific concert takes to load, but will NOT change the initial startup time for Mainstage. Only removing them via the AU Manager will speed up your initial startup time.

I compared Live 8 (32-bit) to MS2 running in 64-bit mode, playing just Pianoteq Stage (no added effects), with 64 sample buffers. Looking at Activity Monitor, MS2 consumed ~80% CPU, whereas Live was steady at 40%.

Interesting. What's the CPU at when you run Pianoteq standalone?

32-bit mode is only a hair better. Something's definitely wonky with that app, at least on my system.

Sounds like. :)

Comparing Pianoteq standalone to Ableton to MS, is a hair lighter on CPU than when run in a DAW, and again, WAY lighter than run in MS.

The CPU issue (for 2 AND 3) is all over the Apple Support forums with no magic bullet to cure it.

Going to disable still more AUs, repair disk permissions, and free up some disk space.

Thanks again for the assist.

I make software noises.

Hmmm... I've got Pianoteq 4.5.1 (full), and when it's idle (standalone) on my MBP, OS X 10.6.8, it's in the single-digit percentages... playing the demo sequence (no controllers available at the moment) it jumps up to around 35% with the default settings.

You might want to try removing the Pianoteq effects (delay, reverb, comp) and use the Apple inserts instead, see if that helps at all. Haven't tried it, but it's worth a shot. ;)

3.0.2 is fine here, using only Mainstage plugins running at 64 bit. New hardware is much faster so I can't compare to my previous experience with Mainstage 2.

Eager to hear your experience, as I am being cautious about complexity.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just to put this baby to bed, I found enough change in the couch cushions and bought into MS3.

Man, what a world of difference.

Pianoteq is running in the 30% CPU range. Everything else is running more smoothly as well.

I make software noises.

Archived